Syria claims to fire on Israeli Plane

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: brandonb
If Iran flew over US airspace without permission, wouldn't we fire on them? I would friggen hope so!
The difference being that we'd actually be able to hit them... :cool:

So if we couldn't, would that justify their actions?

Lets be reasonable here now...
I didnt try to justify any of the actions... and I won't do so now.

Point taken~

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have seen a few speakers on Radio claim that a lot of terrorists get to Iraq by traveling through the airport in Syria. That is the preferred route for terrorists from Saudia Arabia.

I bet if a cargo plane flew over the USA we would not shoot it down unless it was seriously in an attitude of aggression. We would probably scramble coast guard or military intercepts if it got close to a large city. However, the USA is so large, that we do not have enough planes to protect our entire border. Nor do we have anti aircraft guns in most cities. Frankly I dont have a clue what our defenses are.

I do know we have coast guard planes a lot along our southern borders running intercepts all the time. I also know we have an intercept team up in Alaska out of Elmendorf Air force base in Anchorage, AK. I also know we are probably watching areas like NY City. But I dont think we have enough resources to intercept every plan that approches say Georgia or South Carolina.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Well we will see what information falls out. I never said I trusted the Syrian version of the story - but as it stands apparently there was was some kind of Israeli Air craft that entered Syrian Airspace. The IDF itself never denied the information, it only had no comment. I agree that it dropped "ammo" made no sense - maybe it dropped fuel so it could maneuver more easily, maybe nothing was dropped. We'll have to realistically wait to see what information materializes and then cross reference it to other sources and hopefully get a better idea of what had occured. In a game of propaganda, this is a realistic approach.

As for comment 2 - thanks for fleshing that out. That simply sounds like a long standing feud that has been going on. Israel and or Syria does A and the other responds with B. It only serves to remind that unless an actual solution is implemented to the Palestinian crisis and all border disputes are resolved, then a VERY ugly war will break out...and only those lusting for blood want war to be the means by which the Palestinian dilemma and border disputes are resolved.

Agree
The Israeli response was that no "Air Strike was carried out".
That does not exclude a reconnaissance flight sortie.
The Syrian account indicated some type of package/crates were dropped before the firing?
Syria states that it is ammo - they should have been able to produce it.

Why would Israel be dropping ammo into the Syrian desert?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Well we will see what information falls out. I never said I trusted the Syrian version of the story - but as it stands apparently there was was some kind of Israeli Air craft that entered Syrian Airspace. The IDF itself never denied the information, it only had no comment. I agree that it dropped "ammo" made no sense - maybe it dropped fuel so it could maneuver more easily, maybe nothing was dropped. We'll have to realistically wait to see what information materializes and then cross reference it to other sources and hopefully get a better idea of what had occured. In a game of propaganda, this is a realistic approach.

As for comment 2 - thanks for fleshing that out. That simply sounds like a long standing feud that has been going on. Israel and or Syria does A and the other responds with B. It only serves to remind that unless an actual solution is implemented to the Palestinian crisis and all border disputes are resolved, then a VERY ugly war will break out...and only those lusting for blood want war to be the means by which the Palestinian dilemma and border disputes are resolved.

Agree
The Israeli response was that no "Air Strike was carried out".
That does not exclude a reconnaissance flight sortie.
The Syrian account indicated some type of package/crates were dropped before the firing?
Syria states that it is ammo - they should have been able to produce it.

Why would Israel be dropping ammo into the Syrian desert?

Could it just be a decoy or flares to evade the AA missiles?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I don't think what was dropped it the main point - speculation on that seems to be almost pointless ;)

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I don't think what was dropped it the main point - speculation on that seems to be almost pointless ;)

Syria is the one that stated it was ammunition and dropped before being fired on.

Unless an Israeli crew member flushed the toilet before Syria woke up.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
Where do you see "cargo planes" in the article you quoted?

Well, they were planes, carrying a cargo load of ammunition or munitions. That's a type of cargo.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
Where do you see "cargo planes" in the article you quoted?

Well, they were planes, carrying a cargo load of ammunition or munitions. That's a type of cargo.

Yes. And tanks carry passengers therefore are passenger cars.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonb
Regime change is needed in Israel.

They are a bigger threat to the world than Syria.

If you need to ask why, then you need some education.

Hint: They provoke their neighbhors all the time, and when the neighbhors do something about it, then they use it as a rally cry for war. Why was Israeli Cargo Plane flying over Syria? Hmmm... Apparently they didn't have permission. But Syria is the bad guy? :)

If Iran flew over US airspace without permission, wouldn't we fire on them? I would friggen hope so!

You're an idiot. If you need to ask why, then you need some education.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
How would they know who's jets they were?

Why don't they scamble their own jets to ward off the invaders?

Otherwise, given that they are technically in a state of war, I don't see much unusual here. Israeli jets probe Syrian airspace, Syria ineffectually fires on them. Business as usual.

Fern

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have no problem with Syria's reaction, if the events did indeed take place as reported.
They have a right to protect their airspace.
Why Israel would do this is an entirely different story.
And this a week before I'm off to Israel.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

You're an idiot. If you need to ask why, then you need some education.

Thanks for the personal attack. Have anything to backup the claim? Or is it just because I don't defend Israel when it invaded another nations airspace? /boggle.

Originally posted by: Shivetya
you have spent way too much time sucking exhaust fumes haven't you?

I've been to Israel. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

Thats what your post sounded like. But hey, I'll be nice to you as you claim to be Catholic (if I have the right person).... But you really need to read what you write, and then scratch your head, think outside the neocon box, and then come back to this post with a clear head.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
I agree that it dropped "ammo" made no sense - maybe it dropped fuel so it could maneuver more easily, maybe nothing was dropped.

Dropped in Syrian territory for special forces operators.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
I agree that it dropped "ammo" made no sense - maybe it dropped fuel so it could maneuver more easily, maybe nothing was dropped.

Dropped in Syrian territory for special forces operators.
why would the IDF need to run SF out in the Syrian desert.

And for the length of time that they would need to resupply from ammo boxes?
SF is for sneaking around and doing dirty work - not getting into fire fights.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I have no problem with Syria's reaction, if the events did indeed take place as reported.

stay safe... i got this gut feeling something bad is going to break out in the middle east soon.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

stay safe... i got this gut feeling something bad is going to break out in the middle east soon.

I'll be there for three weeks.
At least I'll get pics. :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
An update to this event.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/902073.html

Turkey says two IAF fuel tanks found near its border with Syria

Turkey has asked Israel for clarifications after finding two fuel tanks allegedly belonging to Israel Air Force warplanes on its territory near the Syrian border, a Turkish source said Saturday.

The statement came two days after Damascus said that Israeli jets broke the sound barrier flying over northern Syria, then dropped munitions onto deserted areas after being shot at by Syria's air defenses. (Click for map)

So apparently the "munitions" were actually fuel tanks, which may indicate that the Israeli jets were jettisoning the extra weight in order to have a better chance to escape the anti-aircraft missiles chasing them down.

So the question is, why is Syria firing at innocent Israel fuel tankers deep in Syrian territory? Oh wait, I'm, not Nebor- sorry about that.

No, what it really does is it seems to prove to me at least that Israel is indeed testing the route to Iran. What is of strategic importance in that part of Syria? So far north and very deep to the west. A clear line towards the eastern border then Kurdistan then Iran.

The only odd thing is that those fuel tanks don't look to me like something being jettisoned from a speeding jet. Wouldn't they have had alot more damage then just a few dents and dings? But this is Turkey reporting this... not Syria... and Turkey is supposedly pretty friendly with Israel... that part confuses me.

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
Turkey is friendly to Israel? Well that depends, non-religious Turkey which is controlled and maintained as such by the the Turkish armed forces, are friendly to Israel, and the two are known to perform large scale military and navy maneuvers together. Muslim Turkey which is lead by Turkish govt. -in case you're wondering then, yes- Turkey's armed forced don't necessarily yield to Turkey's Muslim govt. its complicated and a subject for a whole new thread. Anyway, the Turkish govt. is much better friends with Syria than with Israel for that matter.

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
There are many speculations all over the web as for what Israeli jets were doing traveling within Syrian airspace. The most common assumption is that this was actually a test to determine possible air-routes for a nearing strike on Iranian facilities and the defense's along them.
Since the Russians have decided they want to flex some muscles against us now, in every major thing that's going on in the world today, they announced that they're going to be arming Iran with their latest anti-aircraft missiles ASAP. Not that these missiles can not be handled with, but it'll be more pain in the ass, so my guess is that if we plan to strike it should precede the deployment of these missiles.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Wow, just wow.
I'm leaving to Israel in a week, hopefully there is no regional war.

Text

CNN says incident in which Israeli planes allegedly invaded Syrian airspace was actually an attack on Iranian weapons transferred to Syria; operation apparently included ground forces, report says.

CNN news network reported Tuesday evening that the incident in which Israeli planes allegedly invaded Syrian airspace was actually an attack on Iranian weapons transferred to Syria.

According to the report, the incident involved aerial operation that also included ground forces that were meant to mark targets or inspect the damage caused by the attack.

It was also reported that the operation left "a great hole in the ground" in the Syrian desert. The report was based mainly on sources in the American government and it was noted that Israel was satisfied with the operation's results.

The report said Israel apparently targeted a type of weapon transferred through Syria to Hizbullah from Iran.

Sources told CNN reporter Christiana Amanpour that weapons have been transferred in this way for the past three or four years uninterruptedly.

Hours before CNN report was broadcasted, Syria appealed to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council, and warned Israel of "the consequences of this outrageous aggression."

In the message sent to the United Nations, it was written that Syria "insists that the continuing silence of the international community vis-à-vis Israel's illegal act will place the region as well as the peace and security of both countries in the face of uncontrollable tragedies".

The Syrian letters to the UN argued that Israel "is determined to choose aggression instead of peace and by doing so it reveals its true intentions that it tries to hide using fake claims of seeking peace in the region".

On Monday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan demanded Israel explain the discovery of unmarked fuel tanks near Turkey's border with Syria.

"This is an unacceptable development," Babacan said in a joint news conference with his Syrian counterpart Walid al-Moallem, who was visiting Turkey.

"All countries in the region must show respect to all countries' sovereignty and carefully avoid acts that lead to tensions," Babacan said. "Otherwise, tensions would be fueled and peace and stability in the region might be harmed."

CNN link

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It will be interesting to see what the Syrian & Turkish response are.

Turkey is in the clear.

Syria is breaking the UN agreement from last year (again).

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Good for Israel! Considering the UN's impotence, I'm glad to see Israel actually enforce the agreement.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm very curious to know what kind of weapons shipment prompted this kind of response.
I would think that Israel would normally wait until the weapons were in Lebanon and not attack in Syrian territory unless it was necessary.