Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
I have a question about my GTX 960M chip. You can force antialiasing in the nVidia control panel. However, the only options are MSAA and FXAA. I can't believe this chip doesn't support the oldest and simplest AA solution, SSAA!

How can I enable it? It's important, because some games won't work with MSAA, and with FXAA the aliasing artifacts are still visible.

I mostly play old games, so performance is not an issue.

Thanks!

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
SSAA isn't the most obvious option in nvidia drivers. I'd strongly recommend you use nvidia inspector, otherwise you can't apply the compatibility bits that are needed to fix graphical glitches in lots of games.

So, in the profile for whichever game you want set the antialiasing mode to override application setting, then set it to multisampling with however many samples per pixel you want. So far, that's just msaa. If you want sgssaa turn transparency aa right below to the same number of samples but with Sparse Grid Super Sampling by it.

So, for example, you'll want to match 4x Multisampling with 4x Sparse Grid.

Also, you'll usually need to use compatibility codes for most games. Those go in the antialiasing compatibility box near the top.

Here's an up to date list for them. Also has stuff like ambient occlusion bits too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4KMTxBXoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/edit#gid=1911323755

Oh, and one more thing. You can increase texture quality with SSAA by reducing the LOD bias. So, if you're doing 2 samples per pixel(2x SSAA) you can reduce it to -.5 without extra shimmering, and 4x can do -1.0 and so on.

If SGSSAA doesn't work in a certain game, you can usually get DSR to work fine. Quality won't be as good though, and older game UIs usually don't scale properly.

Last edited:

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
WOW! That was a really informative post! Thank you very much and have a happy new year!

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
"Also, you'll usually need to use compatibility codes for most games. Those go in the antialiasing compatibility box near the top."

Where can I find such a box?