Super Tuesday Results

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It’s Tuesday again! Will the Joementum continue or will Bernie bounce back? 6 states in total voting today. Sounds like Michigan won’t have results for days.

Michigan is the only one that matters. As much as I wanted Warren and then Sanders to get the nomination, if Biden can win Michigan it's probably time to unify around him.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Though I do wonder how Medicare for All isn't playing better with voters right now as we're in the beginnings of a pandemic that's going to kill a lot of us.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Though I do wonder how Medicare for All isn't playing better with voters right now as we're in the beginnings of a pandemic that's going to kill a lot of us.

you'd think this would be a big selling point. why pay $3700 for a coronavirus test when you can pay 0?

until more people get stuck with outrageous bills, i don't think they'll wake up to how stupid our current system is.

Jan 25, 2011
Michigan is the only one that matters. As much as I wanted Warren and then Sanders to get the nomination, if Biden can win Michigan it's probably time to unify around him.
Biden is winning in the areas he has to. Clinton won the population centres and sanders got the rural in 16 but Biden is winning all over the state where Sanders was successful the last time around

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Cook Political's Wasserman calling Michigan for Biden. If that's true he's running the table on Sanders.

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah Bernie is done. The question is does he accept it or continue to divide the party he doesn’t even belong to.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

"If only Coronavirus had arrived 2 months earlier, it might have saved us" is not something I had considered, but here we are.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Is that really a question? We know what he did in 2016.

Campaigned for Clinton? If this result tells me anything it's that Clinton was a truly horrific candidate and the Democrats made the biggest political fuck up I can ever remember by being Clinton or Bust in 2016. God if Biden would have just run in 2016 we wouldn't be getting fucked over by Trump.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Campaigned for Clinton? If this result tells me anything it's that Clinton was a truly horrific candidate and the Democrats made the biggest political fuck up I can ever remember by being Clinton or Bust in 2016. God if Biden would have just run in 2016 we wouldn't be getting fucked over by Trump.

If any other Dem had won the nomination they’d have beaten Trump. Clinton was a once in a lifetime vulnerable candidate.

Reactions: Maxima1

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Campaigned for Clinton?

I meant he won't drop out right now. He'll take it all the way to the convention, which will have the result of perpetuating the internecine divide on the left right up to the general election.

If this result tells me anything it's that Clinton was a truly horrific candidate and the Democrats made the biggest political fuck up I can ever remember by being Clinton or Bust in 2016. God if Biden would have just run in 2016 we wouldn't be getting fucked over by Trump.

What this result tells me is that, whatever Clinton's qualities as a candidate, we would have been worse off with Sanders. The reason: his pitch has always been that he can bring out young voters in droves and given their low turnout history, there is theoretically tremendous upside there. Yet they haven't turned out for him in these primaries, making it highly questionable that he could ever deliver the millennial turnout that he's premised all his electoral hopes on.

Reactions: Meghan54 and dank69

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah Bernie is done. The question is does he accept it or co to use to divide the left he doesn’t even belong to.

Yup, it appears that way. I heard the suggestion that he'll likely try to negotiate some kind of concessions. Like having certain people in certain Admin positions or even a Campaign issue as part of the agenda. If the numbers make a victory still possible, there's still another debate Sanders might try to pull off a miracle with. Regardless, Bernie will be there for Biden, he's just principled that way.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah Bernie is done. The question is does he accept it or continue to divide the party he doesn’t even belong to.

I love how you guys think this is a good talking point. What does it say to you that the Democratic leadership was prepared to accept Bloomberg as one of their own, even to the point of arguing that being a Republican was good for the party? It's a joke.

Reactions: sandorski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
his pitch has always been that he can bring out young voters in droves and given their low turnout history, there is theoretically tremendous upside there. Yet they haven't turned out for him in these primaries, making it highly questionable that he could ever deliver the millennial turnout that he's premised all his electoral hopes on.

That much is crystal clear now. I kind of hope he doesn't drop out too early though only because I don't want to hear about the primary being rigged and him being forced out.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That much is crystal clear now. I kind of hope he doesn't drop out too early though only because I don't want to hear about the primary being rigged and him being forced out.

He went all the way to the convention in '16 and they claimed it. Some of his supporters will claim it was rigged regardless of the timing or circumstances of his departure from the race. Better that he drops out now and backs Biden. But he won't.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Biden wins Michigan. Lots of questions being asked now of whether Bernie voters were actually pro-Bernie in 2016, or merely anti-Hillary. Were they even so anti-Hillary as to vote Trump (or not vote) in the general? I'm looking at you Michigan and Wisconsin.

Another theory--2016 Bernie voters aged out of his base in 4 short years (doubtful.)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Biden wins Michigan. Lots of questions being asked now of whether Bernie voters were actually pro-Bernie in 2016, or merely anti-Hillary. Were they even so anti-Hillary as to vote Trump (or not vote) in the general? I'm looking at you Michigan and Wisconsin.

Another theory--2016 Bernie voters aged out of his base in 4 short years (doubtful.)

Yeah I think I misread 2016. Biden winning Michigan shows it wasn't about Bernie resounding with the rust belt so much as it was Clinton being ridiculously bad. Even as a Bernie voter in the primary I was hoping for a strong showing from Biden tonight in Michigan to give some hope that Biden can take back that Democratic firewall that Clinton completely blew. And it looks like maybe he can.

Reactions: Bitek

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Youth voting was nearly double in 2018 what it had been in 2014, the last midterm. That was just 16 months ago. I am truly unclear as to why they are not turning out for Sanders right now. If Sanders could have won this primary with an overwhelming youth turnout I'd actually be excited about him for November, but for whatever reason, he has not.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Youth voting was nearly double in 2018 what it had been in 2014, the last midterm. That was just 16 months ago. I am truly unclear as to why they are not turning out for Sanders right now. If Sanders could have won this primary with an overwhelming youth turnout I'd actually be excited about him for November, but for whatever reason, he has not.

I haven’t looked at 2016 vs. 2020 Michigan turnout #s or demographics. I had heard anecdotally that polling places near the big college campuses were busy so I expected Bernie to do well. Not sure if Coronavirus had any impact in those precincts but AFAIK UMich and MichState haven’t canceled classes or anything.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Maybe he will give up when he gets destroyed in FL. They love his Castro stories.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Current margins:

Mississippi: Biden +65.8
Missouri: Biden +26
Michigan: Biden +14.5
Idaho: Biden +13
Washington: Biden +.6

Not showing margins for North Dakota yet. But this is quite a drubbing tonight.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I haven’t looked at 2016 vs. 2020 Michigan turnout #s or demographics. I had heard anecdotally that polling places near the big college campuses were busy so I expected Bernie to do well. Not sure if Coronavirus had any impact in those precincts but AFAIK UMich and MichState haven’t canceled classes or anything.

These students live on or very near campus. Cancelling classes won't affect their travel distance to the polls. Sure, some people could decide to stay home because of the virus but that is actually less likely to affect younger people because the word is that under 30's have essentially zero chance to die from this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Or maybe Trump & his Russian friends just messed with voters' minds in an astoundingly effective way. Your bellyaching over the might have beens just proves how good they are.

Reactions: darkswordsman17