Subnautica just got a huge update

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/

A new vehicle (power suit) and much more stuff to explore on the Aurora.
Its far from complete, but this is a huge step.

Gal Civ 3 also got a small update. Many bug fixes, including improved stability and performance on massive maps (hundreds of planets, thousands of ships).

And Worms WMD is now out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327030/

EDIT:

New trailer, which should have been the original trailer I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2SNm8VguE

EDIT 2:

Yahtzee review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

march 7 2018

Last edited:
Reactions: PrincessFrosty

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
One more addition:
The Subnautica update places a full radiation suit in the immediate vicinity of your starting area. Now you can explore the Aurora much earlier.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Looks interesting, I've gotten bored with pretty much everything and have started getting bored with "from the depths" with about 200 or so hours of game time. Maybe I'll check this out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally got a Cyclops and a P.R.A.W.N. The new game is MUCH more generous with blueprints, so its not as annoying when you explore.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Game has had many updates recently. They added a bunch of new content, but also introduced some bugs. Each little update fixes one bug and adds another.
Overall the game is still fun. One neat feature is you can now turn on and off each type of beacon in the HUD, and change its color if it's on. Theres also more areas to explore, including a massive underground alien complex, as well as some continuation of the story.

No multiplayer yet, and no real guns.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Got another update. They added some more underwater caves and artifacts. No new equipment.

Also, I made a vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-4OOZpPw8

Please dont be too critical. I've never done video editing and only just started capturing games.
Its a hassle. Shortcut keys seem to never work correctly and the last couple programs I used only gave me black screens. I dont know why.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I just got into Subnautica last week. It has a lot of potential with great art design, music, etc. My only complaint is that it really needs to give you more direction and/or a map of some kind. I never would have known about a lot of the content if I hadn't looked up a map online.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The Devs just updated the roadmap.

• Feature Complete Release Date (Internal): August 4th
  • Feature Complete Release Date (Stable): August 10th
  • v1.0 PC Release Date: October 31

Reactions: OCNewbie

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hopefully they actually hit that date. Im waiting till final before i start my next playthrough now.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I put it on the backburner while they completed the game, cool to see the release is near. I absolutely love the underwater atmosphere in the game, the lights and sounds are all so relaxing, but also terrifying at the same time.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I played 20-40 hours of the game a few months ago on my low end HTPC and then put it on the back burner as well. If the feature complete version gets released tomorrow I'll start a new game tomorrow night. If so I'll report back to tell you how it runs with the recent updates on both my HTPC and my (now really old) gaming PC.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So Subnautica did not update yesterday, the Devs pushed the feature complete update to next Wednesday (August 16).

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So Subnautica did not update yesterday, the Devs pushed the feature complete update to next Wednesday (August 16).

So the August 10th update was pushed to August 16th, on August 16th they pushed it to the 17th, then today, August 17th, they pushed it to next Monday, the 21th. Any guess on when they will push it to next Monday? If we follow their pattern it would be the next day, Tuesday, August 22nd.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So the August 10th update was pushed to August 16th, on August 16th they pushed it to the 17th, then today, August 17th, they pushed it to next Monday, the 21th. Any guess on when they will push it to next Monday? If we follow their pattern it would be the next day, Tuesday, August 22nd.

Typical, we will be lucky if this goes final this year at this rate.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Are the updates of quality ? been following the game but haven't bitten yet.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Where's Derek Smart? :p

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
The devs have been off their game this year I guess. The changes made to the cyclops sub gameplay has drawn a lot of anger from people and now these delays (after the one earlier this year) don't help.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The devs have been off their game this year I guess. The changes made to the cyclops sub gameplay has drawn a lot of anger from people and now these delays (after the one earlier this year) don't help.

So, it looks like this update was delayed because they had to move to Unity 5.6 for the Xbox.

Here is a post on Reddit by uwe_obraxis one of the Subnautica Devs:

So we've been working on the 3-in-1 patch for Xbox for a while. Something which kicked us in the teeth was having to upgrade to Unity 5.6 to fix an issue with the Xbox, only to find that it messed a ton of stuff up for all platforms, and we couldnt go back. Not only that, but all platforms had slightly lower FPS than before.
While we've been able to claw-back some, we've not been able to get it back to where it was before yet (needs more work). However We have got a number of good optimizations in for lower end machines & Xbox, where the 2-5 second-long hitches when moving fast (like seaglide or seamoth) are now gone, and now only the shorter hitches should remain.
Once PC/Mac is out, Xbox will follow. We still have to send it to certification with Microsoft, but hopefully it wont take long. We're working very hard to get this next patch out on all platforms very soon.

So, to get it working on Xbox they broke it on PC, and now the PC version actually preforms worse than before.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, it looks like this update was delayed because they had to move to Unity 5.6 for the Xbox.

Here is a post on Reddit by uwe_obraxis one of the Subnautica Devs:

So, to get it working on Xbox they broke it on PC, and now the PC version actually preforms worse than before.

Thats brutal......