Subnautica just got a huge update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The recent major update allows you to move forward in the main quest.
You can now help the lady, and she'll give you the cure which lets you disable the quarantine platform. BUT, theres still no way off the planet. Am hoping theres only one major update left and they release the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

Subnautica just got a YUGE!!!!! update.

Chromatic aberration
Bloom
Lens artefacts
Dithering
Motion blur
Colour grading
Depth of field

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, and once again they've changed the recipes.

Storage lockers require fewer resources.
Very few things require full computer chips anymore.
Vehicles have different requirements, but overall fewer resources.
Power plants make much more energy and a few gadgets now require less energy.
Aluminum Oxide has been changed to Ruby, and many other name changes.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, and once again they've changed the recipes.

Storage lockers require fewer resources.
Very few things require full computer chips anymore.
Vehicles have different requirements, but overall fewer resources.
Power plants make much more energy and a few gadgets now require less energy.
Aluminum Oxide has been changed to Ruby, and many other name changes.

still on track for full release in a month or did they kick it back yet again??

I got 60 hours into it but am not firing it up again till they get their shit together with the recipes, so far ive been through silver being unobtainium with everything needing it, then it was copper, then for a while quartz was impossible to find enough of, at one time lead too was an issue. These guys have no idea how to balance the crafting im pretty sure they are just throwing darts at a dartboard in their office now and running with the results.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
still on track for full release in a month or did they kick it back yet again??

I got 60 hours into it but am not firing it up again till they get their shit together with the recipes, so far ive been through silver being unobtainium with everything needing it, then it was copper, then for a while quartz was impossible to find enough of, at one time lead too was an issue. These guys have no idea how to balance the crafting im pretty sure they are just throwing darts at a dartboard in their office now and running with the results.

The devs are active on the /r/Subnautica reddit and asks the members for input, actually implements that input in the experimental branch and then asks the reddit to test it. That is why you see so many changes, they are listening to their fans input and trying it out.

Reactions: maevinj

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The devs are active on the /r/Subnautica reddit and asks the members for input, actually implements that input in the experimental branch and then asks the reddit to test it. That is why you see so many changes, they are listening to their fans input and trying it out.

There is a fine line between listening to the players, and releasing a balanced game, some devs over do it with the listening to the players.

The thing with players is they all play the game differently and most do not use all the game systems/mechanics in their personal play style, these players then make suggestions to improve the game as it relates to their playstyle with zero thought given to the overall game balance and if their suggestion could hurt/break other game aspects that they personally do not use. The devs job is to take the player suggestions and apply them with balance to the whole game, creating a balance that works throughout all game systems/mechanics. When this is done correctly it works well. When this is done poorly you end up with wild swings/flip flops in balance from patch to patch, which IMO is what we are seeing here with the crafting resources wildly changing patch to patch. I just hope that what we end up with in final is more balanced than what i have seen so far. But on the bright side at least when it goes final they will stop changing the freaking recipes around on us.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I'm waiting for retail release at this point. I've got 40+ hours in and I'm pretty sure I'll be spawning in resources via console just to play the story. Have they made the cyclops worth building again?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Is there an actual conclusion (story ?)

Not yet. It is actually done, but there is a locked door that you can't open yet to get the last thing you need to get to the end. They are telling us that the end to be available come the January update.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm waiting for retail release at this point. I've got 40+ hours in and I'm pretty sure I'll be spawning in resources via console just to play the story. Have they made the cyclops worth building again?

I find i spend way more time in the seamoth than the cyclops. not really a big enough map to need something as big as cyclops IMO.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So what exactly is this game? Looks like your typical open-world survival/builder game but underwater with the ability to go on land. I've watched the trailers on Steam and it looks exactly like Ark but replace dinosaurs with fish.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So what exactly is this game? Looks like your typical open-world survival/builder game but underwater with the ability to go on land. I've watched the trailers on Steam and it looks exactly like Ark but replace dinosaurs with fish.

It is NOTHING like Ark. And thats a good thing.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I haven't played ark to compare. It can be what you said, but it lets you pick whether to require things like food and have that be part of the game - I liked playing more casually, where it's pretty great for the environment and exploring and the story as you build. It's a hell of a good game. Worth at least trying for the two hours and you can return it if it's not fun to you.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

It is a story driven open world survival game that focus on exploration and building a habitat, along with a little bit of managing resources. It is single player, and has this interesting mix of calm exploration of a beautiful alien world (half guided by the story, and half guided by a need to seek out more resources) with sudden horror elements. There is almost no combat, you really can't kill anything bigger than a small fish, so running away from predators is the primary method of survival. It sounds like it would be frustrating, but it is not. The game is really well executed.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
BUMP

1 gig update today. No explanation why.
News says its still releasing on January 23rd as scheduled.

The devs say today's update is lots and lots of bug fixes. Todays patch is also the version going out to reviewers, so it is going to be pretty close to final.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ill just be happy if they actually hit the date this time, statistically they do not have good odds of hitting it.

Reactions: Ranulf

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
ill just be happy if they actually hit the date this time, statistically they do not have good odds of hitting it.

It sounds like they are pretty committed to this date. They have sent out review copies of the game to media and have planned a launch stream and party on Twitch live streamed from some aquarium that they are renting out next Tuesday, January 23rd.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Is the 'end game' in place? I was surprised to find I really enjoyed the game and then in late game just lost interest. I spent hours trying to navigate the Cyclops through narrow passages, somewhat lost.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is the 'end game' in place? I was surprised to find I really enjoyed the game and then in late game just lost interest. I spent hours trying to navigate the Cyclops through narrow passages, somewhat lost.

Dont do that. Take the cyclops to a cave entrance then pop out with the Sea Moth, and a couple spare cells.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Dont do that. Take the cyclops to a cave entrance then pop out with the Sea Moth, and a couple spare cells.

I did it because I was trying to get the suit closer to a location that at the time I couldn't - at least easily - get the suit all the way to and back.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I did it because I was trying to get the suit closer to a location that at the time I couldn't - at least easily - get the suit all the way to and back.

The suit is nice but kinda slow, and doesnt have enough power to ascend large canyons. Dont go exploring until you have the grappling hook. And always take a few beacons with you, or the resources to make beacons on the Cyclops.