Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Doritos started out as garbage can tortillas

The opening of Disneyland in 1955 was nationally televised on ABC, and three of Walt Disney’s friends from Hollywood -- Art Linkletter, Bob Cummings, and Ronald Reagan -- were on hand to show viewers a theme park like no other. Not long after that, Frito-Lay founder Elmer Doolin persuaded Disney to let him open Casa de Fritos, a quasi-Mexican restaurant, in Frontierland. Customers got free Fritos, and the snack chips were incorporated into many dishes. When a rep for one of the park’s suppliers noticed stale tortillas in the garbage, he suggested that the cook cut them up and fry them, instead of throwing them away. The result: heavily seasoned chips that became known and loved as Doritos.

"Little golden things" and other snacks:

• Building on the success of these tasty new tortilla chips, Frito-Lay began mass-producing the snack as Doritos, which is Spanish for “little golden things,” in 1966. They were an immediate success.
  • Tortilla chips were prevalent in southern California long before cheesy, spicy Doritos were introduced, as far back as the early 1900s.
  • Nachos took tortillas chips to the next level. They were invented by Ignacio Anaya in 1943. He fried up tortilla chips, topped them with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeños, and served them as canapés at a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-were-doritos-invented.htm

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Doritos started out as garbage can tortillas

The term "junk food" dates from about that time too. I had to check to see if it had anything to do with garbage can Doritos because it would be a cool story if there was a link. Unfortunately, there wasn't one.

Reactions: Charmonium

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
WBHU8M2.jpg

F35 Helmet looks cool....

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
A gymnast at the Rio Olympics named Marisa Dick created a new move for the balance beam, and was the first to use it in competition.
The change-leg leap to a free cross split sit, is now known as a Dick Move.
EDIT: For some odd reason I cannot write a 4 letter word that starts with D, and ends with K, with an ic in the middle ????

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmonium

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
A gymnast at the Rio Olympics named Marisa Dick created a new move for the balance beam, and was the first to use it in competition.
The change-leg leap to a free cross split sit, is now known as a Dick Move.
EDIT: For some odd reason I cannot write a 4 letter word that starts with D, and ends with K, with an ic in the middle ????
lmao the D_ick move

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
An actual flag flown from a ship of the line at the battle of Trafalgar

zGlPKN7.jpg

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Well they surely couldn't miss that. 80' flag, 120' boat.:D

The Prince of Wales was 182'. That's still a big assed flag.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Well they surely couldn't miss that. 80' flag, 120' boat.:D

The Prince of Wales was 182'. That's still a big assed flag.

Maybe it was intended to be dual purpose. If the engines were damaged in battle the flag could be used as a sail.

Or maybe the Price of Wales was indeed compensating for being hung like a mosquito.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Compensating? lol
Would that be the flag or the flag pole. 'My what a big flag pole you have' would seem to be more apropos.

How does that work anyway. Wouldn't you need hurricane force winds to actually unfurl that monster? Most of the time it would just be hanging limp wouldn't it?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Bwahahaha, sword holder! That's gold Jerry! That's gold!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity

Basically everything we used today was a slang term in original latin for certain parts of the body that weren't considered "vulgar" at the time or poor mans words. Vagina was sword shealth and Penis meant tail back then. Verga meant staff.

Which are basically all the commonly derived terms for those in most Euro based languages today.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity

Basically everything we used today was a slang term in original latin for certain parts of the body that weren't considered "vulgar" at the time or poor mans words. Vagina was sword shealth and Penis meant tail back then. Verga meant staff.

Which are basically all the commonly derived terms for those in most Euro based languages today.
Hmm. Not long ago I had Google translate a knife retailer's German website. Kept translating the term as "vagina," instead of the appropriate "sheath." (I forget the term.) So I recommended the word "sheath" to Google.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

What the heck...I've lived in CT for like 20 years and have lived & worked in pretty much every major county, and have never heard a single person speak French.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I noticed this years ago, and I was puzzled by it, but only today did I go looking for an explanation:
http://earthsky.org/earth/winter-solstice-and-late-sunrise

I find it an amuzing factoid: even though the shortest day of the year is around Dec 21, the earliest sunset is actually 1-3 weeks before that. So right about now (Dec 2 - Dec 15 for Toronto). Same goes for the latest sunset in the summer; also about 2 weeks before the solstice.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000