Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Hmmmm...lets see??? There is another green and highly profitable crop that seems to be doing well in certain states.:mask:

There's plenty of legal greenhouses growing marijuana, there's a pretty big one just down the road actually... 100,000 square feet. There have been a lot of green houses being built around here lately, just acres and acres under glass....that combined with all the windmills...

/should start selling glass or something

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Hmmmm...lets see??? There is another green and highly profitable crop that seems to be doing well in certain states.:mask:

I would love to get into that industry but it's not going to be legal until some time next year and I have no experience:(.

Seriously, a bunch of people tried to jump the gun and opened pot stores all over the place this year. Many got raided and closed. One blew up -- people think they were using benzene indoors...

Reactions: n7

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I would love to get into that industry but it's not going to be legal until some time next year and I have no experience:(.

Seriously, a bunch of people tried to jump the gun and opened pot stores all over the place this year. Many got raided and closed. One blew up -- people think they were using benzene indoors...

smh...local head of crimestoppers was also busted for close to 3,000 plants.and this :

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/an-o...d-dispensary-and-his-bosses-were-cool-with-it

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I love them myself plain or with cheese.

Here's my favorite brussel sprout recipe. I got it from a chef @ work so that's why there are 3 lbs used. Adjust accordingly.

3# Brussels Sprouts 

6pcs Bacon / Cooked - then chop up ( Keep bacon grease on the side ) 

3/4C Onions, yellow diced 

1 tsp Dynamite Seasoning ( Salt 6#, White Pepper 1/3C, Garlic Powder 1/3C ) 

3oz of Bacon Grease

Steam the sprouts, then add everything together in a bowl. I like to top it with a nice pat of butter and some more salt, but its not necessary. It makes them heavenly...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've never had them with anything like that on them and the mention of adding bacon grease makes my arteries quiver.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've never had them with anything like that on them and the mention of adding bacon grease makes my arteries quiver.

It's only 3 oz for 3 pounds of sprouts. If you are making just a pound of them, its one ounce of bacon grease which would come from 2-3 slices of bacon. You can skip it if you like but it adds to the flavor.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Brussels sprouts are good in spaghetti sauce. A quick/cheap/nutritious dinner is steamed sprouts in a can of spaghetti sauce. Just about zero effort, and it tastes good.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Here's my favorite brussel sprout recipe. I got it from a chef @ work so that's why there are 3 lbs used. Adjust accordingly.

3# Brussels Sprouts 

3oz of Bacon Grease

Steam the sprouts, then add everything together in a bowl. I like to top it with a nice pat of butter and some more salt, but its not necessary. It makes them heavenly...

In that recipe you can replace the sprouts with a cup of wet cardboard and it would still taste good.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
fKJoo1h.jpg

How accurate is this?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

3# Brussels Sprouts 

3oz of Bacon Grease

Brussel sprout or most hearty vegs are actually best when roasted. Butter or such fats help but the key there is the malliard/browning reaction for the more complex flavor.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Ancient Roman athletes made a lot more money than modern ones.

Golfer Rory McIlroy won more than $15 million USD in 2016, capping the season off with a victory in the Tour Championship and a $10 million USD bonus for taking the FedEx Cup. If he keeps up that pace for many years, he might come close to Circus Maximus charioteer Gaius Appuleius Diocles, who amassed a fortune of 35,863,120 sesterces in prize money -- the equivalent of about $15 billion USD in today's money, according to Peter Struck, a professor of classical studies at the University of Chicago.

“His total take-home amounted to five times the earnings of the highest-paid provincial governors over a similar period,” Struck said.

A champion in a chariot:

• The ancient Roman “champion of all charioteers” made his fortune without the sponsorship and marketing deals that fill the pockets of today’s pro athletes.
  • Diocles raced four-horse chariots, and he frequently came from behind to win. He retired at age 42 -- an unusually long career in a sport where charioteers often died young.
  • Records show that Diocles won 1,462 out of the 4,257 four-horse races he competed in.
http://www.wisegeek.com/have-professional-athletes-always-been-well-paid.htm

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ulysses Grant was not happy with his whole career.

- "I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I thought so at the time., when I was only a youngster, only I had not the moral courage enough to resign."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I knew Garfield was shot, but I didnt know any of the circumstances.

The Secret Service starting guarding the presidents after Garfield was shot on July 2, 1881.

Garfield died of blood poisoning, from doctors probing one of his wounds with bare fingers and un sterilized instruments. Some experts think Garfield would have lived if the doctors did nothing. Garfield's doctor Willard Bliss inserted his finger and instruments into Garfield's wound. Neither his finger or the instruments were sterile.

One of the doctors who attended Garfield at the train station was Charles Purvis. He was one of the first black men to receive medical training at a university. He recommended that blankets be wrapped around the President and that hot water bottles be place under his feet. Thus he became the first black doctor to treat a President of the United States.

At the White House Garfield was also treated by "Mrs. Dr. Edson. She was one of the first female doctors in the U.S. and perhaps the first woman doctor to treat a President.

It took Garfield 11 weeks to die after being shot by assassin Charles Guiteau on July 2, 1881. He died on September 19, 1881 in Elberon, New Jersey. He was 49 years and 304 days old.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The reason why the label on Jack Daniels is black is because Ol' Jack was trying to get something from his safe, when he couldn't remember the combination he kicked the safe and injured his toe. Well, Ol' Jack got gangrene I think it was and died. So the label is black.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The reason why the label on Jack Daniels is black is because Ol' Jack was trying to get something from his safe, when he couldn't remember the combination he kicked the safe and injured his toe. Well, Ol' Jack got gangrene I think it was and died. So the label is black.

I didn't know that. And I will continue to not know that because it's an old wives tale with no basis in reality.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I didn't know that. And I will continue to not know that because it's an old wives tale with no basis in reality.

Don't blame me then. I saw it on the history channel I think it was of all places. Could have been Smithsonian Channel. It was the history of Jack and they explored the distillery and shit.