Student Loan Forgiveness is Set to Expire: This is Going to be Painful for Many!

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We're talking about boomers not the WW2 generation.
The GI bill applied to the boomers too. Really, the new GI bill is very generous and provides awesome education benefits. That doesn't change the question though - can students today get the exact same level of support from the government that the Boomers got?

We all know the Boomer answer, and that is no. They were more than happy to have their education paid for by their parents' generation but have no desire to pay that forward. While there are of course tons and tons of Boomers who are awesome people the generation as a whole is the worst and most selfish in modern US history.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
While there are of course tons and tons of Boomers who are awesome people the generation as a whole is the worst and most selfish in modern US history.
It wasn’t always that way. This is the same generation that celebrated Woodstock and the Summer of Love
and all that. I think 2 things stand out to me as having fucked with their minds:

1) The Vietnam War—undiagnosed PTSD for many who served and bearing the shame and stain of that losing effort for those left behind

2) Reagan. ‘Nuff said.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The GI bill applied to the boomers too. Really, the new GI bill is very generous and provides awesome education benefits. That doesn't change the question though - can students today get the exact same level of support from the government that the Boomers got?

We all know the Boomer answer, and that is no. They were more than happy to have their education paid for by their parents' generation but have no desire to pay that forward. While there are of course tons and tons of Boomers who are awesome people the generation as a whole is the worst and most selfish in modern US history.

But the GI bill thing is just bull shit, the military doesn't need that many people for FDC's response to be even remotely meaningful or useful. For those who a stint in the military makes sense for I'm glad the GI bill provides the benefits it does. Doesn't make it an answer for everyone (I know you're not saying it does).

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How is the action taken for depositors at SVB any different than student loan forgiveness? Depositors knew their money was only insured to 250K.

Reactions: Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Stupid that people need something to affect their pocketbook before stop voting Repugican

Nov 17, 2019
I wasn't in favor of this. You sign the dotted line, you fulfill your commitment.

The answer is to reconfigure tuition.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
If this were for the rich republicans they would be all for it. Help the common person? Screw you!

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wasn't in favor of this. You sign the dotted line, you fulfill your commitment.

The answer is to reconfigure tuition.
1) We don't apply that to any other type of loan.
2) Student loans are stupid and should be abolished.
3) Neither of the first two matters though because the problem with this decision is SCOTUS is rewriting laws it has policy disagreements with. If they don't like the policy they should run for elected office, not decide that because they are a court they are some sort of super Congress.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
^^ So I can stop paying my credit cards?

I can buy a new car, take out a loan and not pay for it?
Yes, you can do both of those things. If you run into debt you can no longer repay you can declare bankruptcy and have those debts wiped out. You can't do that with student loans though!

Regardless, the focus should be on the lawless supreme court and how to bring them back under control. We need to keep pushing to expand the court to put them back in their place.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Yes, you can do both of those things. If you run into debt you can no longer repay you can declare bankruptcy and have those debts wiped out. You can't do that with student loans though!
Is that actually true anymore? (Disclaimer: I know nothing about bankruptcy law or proceedings)

Nov 17, 2019
And you don't get to keep the car and your credit takes a hit so you can't borrow again for quite some time.

Maybe not issue the diploma/degree until the loan is fully paid off?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If somebody ever comes up with a good explanation of why you can't discharge student debt in bankruptcy like all other debt I'll listen to it. Haven't heard anything remotely convincing yet.