Student Loan Forgiveness is Set to Expire: This is Going to be Painful for Many!

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
^^ So I can stop paying my credit cards?

I can buy a new car, take out a loan and not pay for it?
It’s called bankruptcy and those debts could/would be discharged. Student debt is exempt from this which imo leads to higher interest rates and a general fuck you from the banks because they know there is little reason to make these loans easy.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
It would require an complete and certainly impossible full reconstruct of the system. It can't happen, but it needs to. Far too much money is going to salaries for Deans and other Administrators, fancy buildings and campuses and other things that do not accomplish the goal of teaching.. These schools need to be essentially 'not for profit'.
Admins and Dean's pay is often inflated beyond what those people are worth, but you are blanketing that notion across everything.

You would make colleges underfunded and low-budget like inner-city public schools, and think that wouldn't affect education? I disagree.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Biden can fix the USSC... will take about 30 minutes.
Better not, these decisions further helps 2024. I was going to both sides this and say sue the hell out of the NRA and gun manufacturers. But Dems don’t need to give reasons for gun nutters to rally

Nov 17, 2019
This is not akin to Bankruptcy which is an individual act and requires some effort.

This is more akin to the Government saying that anyone who bought a car in the last 'X' years and has income below 'X' can just stop paying their loans and keep their vehicles, no individual effort required.

Reactions: Ken g6

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Even Roberts playing the victim now (probably because he knows they've been committing fuckery.)
This is not akin to Bankruptcy which is an individual act and requires some effort.

This is more akin to the Government saying that anyone who bought a car in the last 'X' years and has income below 'X' can just stop paying their loans and keep their vehicles, no individual effort required.
Not a fair analogy. Cars won't be beneficial to the receiver for the rest of their life, and it isn't going to further society in general.

gothuevos

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2010
This is another issue - increased government subsidies for education is just driving up prices.

What we should do is eliminate student loans and then expand public education and make it low cost or free. If people still want to pay $200k to go to NYU then they can finance it themselves.

I got my undergrad degree from UCSD for about $6k a year. NYU grad school was $40k a year. UCSD was a way better school.
I went to UCSD too. What year?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
^^ So I can stop paying my credit cards?

I can buy a new car, take out a loan and not pay for it?

Yes, you can do those things (even if the "debt" = many millions of $ squandered on hookers and blow!) and aside from maybe having your car repoed and bad credit for a few years there will be ZERO consequence to you.

Even the IRS will work with you to cut down or eliminate back-taxes owed in many cases.

BUT if you borrowed money to go to school you're screwed. Perfectly reasonable. :rolleyes:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, you can do those things (even if the "debt" = many millions of $ spent on hookers and blow!) and aside from maybe having your car repoed and bad credit for a few years there will be ZERO consequence to you.

UNLESS you borrowed money to go to school.... in that case you're screwed.

The year is 2039, Chief Justice Sam Alito rules that Neuralink's memory extraction system can be used in repossessions.

totalrecall08.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've come to the conclusion that the people who REALLY get the shaft in America are those who care about playing by the rules.

As I've mentioned previously that group no longer includes me .... the only "rule" I care about anymore is what I can get away with. (and the answer is quite a bit!)

:rolleyes:

Walk softly and carry a BIG stick!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

You can't make the comparison that buying a car and buying an education is the same thing. An educated population will actually benefit everyone, but adding another car on the road benefits none of us.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

It's akin to depositors in SVB being bailed out for deposits over 250K when they knew they were only covered below.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

You really don't understand how America works do you?

But then ignorance and flawed reasoning are your "modus operandi" so no real surprise .... this [CENSORED] is why I no longer care one bit about "rules" that only apply selectively in this racist/classist country.

SCREW the supreme court. :mad:

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi