Student arrested and turned over to INS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Does that mean that we should just cast law aside and let everyone drive without a license?

Driving without a license isn't so bad since most people drive like they don't have a license anyway. The big part is not having insurance. In Canada the fine for that starts at $3,000 the first time and $10,000 every time you get caught after that; the fine in the US should be 10x worse because you guys use that car insurance to cover medical costs related to car crashes.

The problem is not the person, shes not a bad person from what I can tell.
If it's true that she was driving without insurance, then yes she is. Driving in the US with no insurance is inexcusable. What if she hit another car and that person went bankrupt from medical bills? Fuck her. Send her into the desert with no water and let her walk home.
(home means Mexico)

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Silly ILLEGAL immigrant, trying to pull herself up by her bootstraps at the expense of US citizens and all. Don't she know immigrants are only allowed to use welfare if they arrived here legally!

They really need to fix this silliness.

Fixed for accuracy.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Fixed for accuracy.
LOL If illegal aliens are "undocumented immigrants" then squatters are "undocumented tenants" and drug dealers are "undocumented pharmacists". "Undocumented" is PC to make illegal immigration seem like some kind of oversight or technicality.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I'm sure all the "illegal" sympathizers and the "no human is illegal" crowd would be all up in a hizzy if this illegal immigrant crashed into and totaled their car, causing major injuries to them and no recourse because no insurance.

This illegal was not only a felon by her presence, she was driving illegally AND driving without taking the responsibility of auto insurance. Way to be a stereotype.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Build a big trebuchet by the border and put her on it ;) She drove without insurance, without a license and has been here illegally for a long time. The question is not if she should be sent home, the question is why hasn't she already been deported, who's not doing their job?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The real story here is the attitude. She doesn't think she was doing anything wrong. This is ingrained into illegals and the illegal lovers. They don't understand the illegal part of illegal alien.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
She should be treated like every other foreign student.

She should be charged out of state tuition(back billed for hours completed).
Upon graduation she has 12 months to leave the United States.

Oh and she should not be allowed to drive for the remainder of her stay in the United States since she failed to get a license or insurance.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
"Sheriff Warren has embarked on a witch hunt, wasting money and county resources for political gain," said Adelina Nicholls of the Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights. "This is not about public safety."

How the fvck is keeping someone off the street with no license and no insurance not about public safety???

I hope Adelina gets her car totalled by an illegal alien with no insurance so we can she what tune she sings after that...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
She should be treated like every other foreign student.

She should be charged out of state tuition(back billed for hours completed).
Upon graduation she has 12 months to leave the United States.

would it be a bad idea to offer citizenship to (college) students after they've completed their studies? or make it easier for them to apply for it? offhand it would seem like a good idea to me.

keeps their knowledge here in the states, instead of having them go home abroad. of course, now you're dramatically widening the pool of post-graduate employees (both good/bad).

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
would it be a bad idea to offer citizenship to (college) students after they've completed their studies? or make it easier for them to apply for it? offhand it would seem like a good idea to me.

keeps their knowledge here in the states, instead of having them go home abroad. of course, now you're dramatically widening the pool of post-graduate employees (both good/bad).

I guess it depends on how much of a caring person you are. It makes much more sense to send the person back after education to seed. The more educated people the persons home country has the better off that country will be. Instead of trying to help one person you could be helping thousands.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

I'm fairly certain we already do this for individual who earn a Master's degree or higher. Perhaps it's not citizenship, but permanent legal alient status. If not, I know Canada does.

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Everyone has a sob story. Boo fuckin hoo.

Does that mean that everyone should be let into the United States?

Does that mean that we should just cast law aside and let everyone drive without a license?
Does that mean we should allow people to lie to the police?
Does that mean we should disregard everyones criminal acts?

What was your sob story? Oh wait, you didn't have one.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Ya, I'm sure we need more Political science majors :D.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I'm fairly certain we already do this for individual who earn a Master's degree or higher. Perhaps it's not citizenship, but permanent legal alient status. If not, I know Canada does.

The US does not..

If you are on a student visa, finish your master's degree, you still have the same 12 month time frame to leave the country. Getting a master's degree does NOT give you permanent status.

Now, if you are a student where there are massive problems, like say Zimbabwe you can easily gain permanent status. But unless you have someone(a company) sponsoring you, you gotta go back.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The US does not..

If you are on a student visa, finish your master's degree, you still have the same 12 month time frame to leave the country. Getting a master's degree does NOT give you permanent status.

Now, if you are a student where there are massive problems, like say Zimbabwe you can easily gain permanent status. But unless you have someone(a company) sponsoring you, you gotta go back.
So THAT explains all those people flocking to Zimbabwe! LOL

how do you say "Do you want fries with that?" in spanish?
LOL!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Everyone has a sob story. Boo fuckin hoo.

Does that mean that everyone should be let into the United States?

Does that mean we should allow people to lie to the police?
Does that mean we should disregard everyones criminal acts?
How does sympathy for her story warrant asking if all criminal acts should be disregarded?
Smart enough to get into college, but can't apply for citizenship? BS. Sounds like she didn't want to become a citizen because all of the stuff she'd been able to exploit would be over.
She may not even qualify, legally, to get citizenship. Now or before. Now if she has a felony then she really is screwed.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
She gambled and lost.

Driving without a license & insurance is confirmed.

The false infomormation for the LEO - that is up for debate - all we have is the story which is right now a he said/she said. Lawyers are paid to twist the truth for their client.

ICE is nice enough to allow her to finish her education so she has something to fall back on when in her home country. Will they also start looking at her family if any are here?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I feel sorry for her and think this is the kind of case that shows we need a path to legal status... But I don't understand the attitude from the girl, her lawyer, and the activists that she deserves to be allowed to be an illegal immigrant. This is the kind of stuff that turns off reasonable people who would otherwise say "OK, they're breaking the law but we should show some compassion and forgive them after they pay a fine and let them start a legal residency process".

Agreed.

I'd like to know if she ever attempted to get a student visa, or instead just flat-out ignored the law.

Fern

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
It is a sad story and I wish things were better in her life but laws have to be applied the same to everyone. There is a reason Lady Justice wears a blind fold.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It is a sad story and I wish things were better in her life but laws have to be applied the same to everyone. There is a reason Lady Justice wears a blind fold.

apparently, some people in this thread would say Lady Justice is a racist then...

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I guess it depends on how much of a caring person you are. It makes much more sense to send the person back after education to seed. The more educated people the persons home country has the better off that country will be. Instead of trying to help one person you could be helping thousands.

Or they could stay in the USA and be productive members of society here. I prefer for them to stay here and be productive members of society. I'd be all for making it easier for people who studied here to get citizenship or at minimum retain their legal status for as long as their stay(as long as they are being productive).