Steam Ubisoft Week: New Sale Each Day and 33% off all Ubi games all week

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
That game was just horrible. Took forever to get anywhere, took 5 rounds from a 7.62 battle rifle to kill skinnies, and they respawned as soon as you drove away. I absolutely hated Far Cry 2.

Same here X 1billion

Everything about it was just wrong.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Damn, I was pondering if I should pick up Far Cry 2 for 5 bucks. Thanks for the heads up. Thought it would be a good game since it's getting a 85 rating on Steam metacritic.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Damn, I was pondering if I should pick up Far Cry 2 for 5 bucks. Thanks for the heads up. Thought it would be a good game since it's getting a 85 rating on Steam metacritic.

Dragon Age II got an 82 on Metacritic.

Publishers pay (or just pressure) reviewers to give high scores.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Same here X 1billion

Everything about it was just wrong.
Yeah I heard that so much I even passed on Far Cry 2 when it was on sale yesterday and previous sales for dirt cheap. I watched my brother play it for like 15 minutes and I didn't notice the bad respawning issues but it didn't seem that good of gameplay anyway.

How are the Brothers In Arms Games? I remember in college watching my roommate play the first one on Xbox, and I seen my brother play one of them recently on PC.

I dunno, they didn't seem awesome, but are they a good singleplayer WW2 game? They got very good reviews on Gamespot. Would I need to get the pack? I know at least the original is quite old and I'm fine with dated games but if the newest BiA has similar gameplay but better graphics, I'd just buy it.

Dec 28, 2001
How is that different from any other Users Agreement for any Software from any source?

Well, it used to be that we would actually own the copy of the game we purchased; yes, in practice buying items through Steam would make it a license, but I'm assuming that even buying a physical disc copy would have the same agreement saying essentially "you're renting the game from us, you're not really owning it" - which is a drastic change in PC gaming attitudes.

The comment about how the company has the right to install DRM in my system - while up-front about it, which I can appreciate - makes it more evident (to me) that we're just borrowing this game from the company, and to make sure that we're just borrowing it for the time being, they'll install invasive malware on my personal system.

And they expect me to "pay" for this privilege? o_O

It may be the standard nowadays, but I rarely read the user agreements and it just caught me off guard how blatant and arrogant they seem in the agreement itself.

This next part is a standard PC-gaming rant I know, but no wonder PC gaming is "dying" - companies are restricting creativity and being arrogant. I'm going to support indie games and gog.com from now on.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Well, it used to be that we would actually own the copy of the game we purchased; yes, in practice buying items through Steam would make it a license, but I'm assuming that even buying a physical disc copy would have the same agreement saying essentially "you're renting the game from us, you're not really owning it" - which is a drastic change in PC gaming attitudes.

The comment about how the company has the right to install DRM in my system - while up-front about it, which I can appreciate - makes it more evident (to me) that we're just borrowing this game from the company, and to make sure that we're just borrowing it for the time being, they'll install invasive malware on my personal system.

And they expect me to "pay" for this privilege? o_O

It may be the standard nowadays, but I rarely read the user agreements and it just caught me off guard how blatant and arrogant they seem in the agreement itself.

This next part is a standard PC-gaming rant I know, but no wonder PC gaming is "dying" - companies are restricting creativity and being arrogant. I'm going to support indie games and gog.com from now on.

You would assume wrong if you think you owned the games you've bought. The vast majority of software you buy, on disc or otherwise, is licensed and comes with a eula, either shrinkwrap eula or a click through. You have to remember software came along late in the game by the time it was being sold companies looked around at books, music and other copyrighted works and realized they give way too much freedom to the consumer and so the idea of licensing any and all software was born.

Dec 28, 2001
You would assume wrong if you think you owned the games you've bought. The vast majority of software you buy, on disc or otherwise, is licensed and comes with a eula, either shrinkwrap eula or a click through. You have to remember software came along late in the game by the time it was being sold companies looked around at books, music and other copyrighted works and realized they give way too much freedom to the consumer and so the idea of licensing any and all software was born.

You can sell books and music you've purchased (CDs, at least) and as far as I understood them, there wasn't some implicit agreement between the book publishers and end users that we can't do whatever we wanted with our copy of the book we bought; in fact, I've lent books to friends after I've read them, I've used them as professional references in the businesses I've managed . . . etc.

That doesn't seem to be the case with games though. "Too much freedom" indeed.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The MPAA and RIAA is working very hard to make sure you pay lots of money for music you can only use under very specific circumstances, not the least of which is the inability to sell it to someone else.

The game industry has actually gotten quite successful at this with MMO's, digital distribution systems, and online activation.

Eventually all media will be "rented" with some sort of advanced cloud streaming.
As for games: All the data will be sent over gigabit internet straight to your RAM. You likely wont even keep save files locally.

I am sorry if you dont like it, but Microsoft, Valve, Sony, Nintendo and even Blizzard are starting to head in this direction. And the sad thing is gamers keep buying more and more invasive games and playing them, despite the issues.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
This isn't the place. Hope I get something out of this sale.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Steam sucks.......the money right out of my Paypal account. Was going to get the BIA pack, then noticed the WWII Pack and bought that instead. I've now bought more games in a week than I have in the last couple years. :eek:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Dragon Age II got an 82 on Metacritic.

Publishers pay (or just pressure) reviewers to give high scores.

I don't agree that's much of an issue. I think it's more common some games just have mixed reactions.

I was just reading a web site talking about Dragons Age 2 saying some of its people hated it and some loved it; the reviewer happened to love it and gave it a 92.

I think that was not a 'bought' 92. The site knows the reviewer and how he feels about the game. I've seen a lot of players with different opinions of the game.

Even the first DA:O had some mixed review; I thought 'this is the best RPG in years' sometimes while playing while other time I was boggling at a lot of tediousness.

I saw both reactions from players also.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Was waiting for the Splinter Cell pack to come on sale. Great success! Now debating whether or not to pick up the Rainbow 6 games.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
This question is for anyone..out of all these games which are your personal top 3 picks?

Splinter Cell $3.39
Splinter Cell Double Agent $3.39
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory $3.39
Splinter Cell Conviction $6.79
Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition $8.49
Splinter Cell Conviction Insurgency Pack $3.39
Ghost Recon® Complete Pack $13.59
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter $3.39
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 $6.79
Ghost Recon $3.39
Ghost Recon Desert Siege $1.69
Ghost Recon Island Thunder $1.69
Endwar $6.79
HAWX $6.79
HAWX 2 $16.99
HAWX 2 Open Skies Expansion $3.39
Rainbow Six Vegas $3.39
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 $3.39
Rainbox Six Lockdown $3.39
Rainbow Six 3 Gold $3.39
Rainbow Six Collection $13.58

Edit: BTW also unadvertised on their main page:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition $15.63

available here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4158/

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This question is for anyone..out of all these games which are your personal top 3 picks?

Splinter Cell $3.39
Splinter Cell Double Agent $3.39
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory $3.39
Splinter Cell Conviction $6.79
Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition $8.49
Splinter Cell Conviction Insurgency Pack $3.39
Ghost Recon® Complete Pack $13.59
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter $3.39
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 $6.79
Ghost Recon $3.39
Ghost Recon Desert Siege $1.69
Ghost Recon Island Thunder $1.69
Endwar $6.79
HAWX $6.79
HAWX 2 $16.99
HAWX 2 Open Skies Expansion $3.39
Rainbow Six Vegas $3.39
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 $3.39
Rainbox Six Lockdown $3.39
Rainbow Six 3 Gold $3.39
Rainbow Six Collection $13.58

Edit: BTW also unadvertised on their main page:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition $15.63

available here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4158/

Chaos Theory
Rainbow Six Gold
Ghost Recon (first ones)

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
How long is Splinter Cell Conviction campaign?
Not very long, if I recall correctly. Maybe 8 hours. Also, it's nothing like the older Splinter Cell games. Rather than being purely about stealth, I think they changed (ruined) the series by turning it into a third person shooter, and replacing Sam Fisher with some Jack Bauer-knockoff. I digress though... it's not a bad game. (Double Agent is the worst of them.)

I'm gonna pick up HAWX. I have a 360 gamepad and a hunger for flying, so $6 I'd say is pretty well spent.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
Not very long, if I recall correctly. Maybe 8 hours. Also, it's nothing like the older Splinter Cell games. Rather than being purely about stealth, I think they changed (ruined) the series by turning it into a third person shooter, and replacing Sam Fisher with some Jack Bauer-knockoff. I digress though... it's not a bad game. (Double Agent is the worst of them.)

Conviction is actually pretty good. It's not Chaos Theory, but you can still use stealth and sneak around people instead of killing them. Also, it's way better than Double Agent. Worth $6.79

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005
(Double Agent is the worst of them.).

I'll second that. I also agree with you that Conviction radically changed the core mechanics of the series and I don't think the franchise is the better for it. The problem with Double Agent, in my mind at least, is that they were toying with some of the changes they eventually implemented with Conviction but the execution in DA was hit-or-miss. Although I don't like Conviction's emphasis on action and shooting -- to say nothing of its brevity -- the gameplay largely achieves its ambitions; the same cannot be said of DA.

Conviction is superior to DA but, if given the choice, I would get Chaos Theory and play through that again.

Regards,

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I was going to ask the same thing, but I already own Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and Chaos theory (originals, not Steam, not yet played) so I guess I don't need to buy any.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm considering the Ghost Recon complete pack. Never played any of the Ghost Recon games but they've always interested me. For the price, seems like a good deal.