Starting to like Bloomberg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I agree that Bloomberg has a solid chance of defeating Trump. In terms of electability, I put him up there with Klobuchar, and ahead of Buttigieg (sexual orientation) and Biden (addled brained.)

However, with Biden, Buttigieg and Klobuchar also competitive in the center-left lane, it's going to be tough for him to get the nomination regardless of his ad spending. The benefits of that spending are on a diminishing return and you can expect them to plateau soon enough if not already.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think Bernie has a chance. The young like him and they were a big part of Obama winning. His pitch that he's on the side of the working class has a ton more credibility than Trump's. Yeah he's old but he's still very witty, makes very apt responses when questioned, doesn't just reach for something he's memorized. I find him likeable. You know, if the kids like him he's got credibility.

TBH, I like Steyer better than Bloomberg. The Feb. 25 debate will be interesting.

Reactions: soulcougher73
Feb 4, 2009
I agree that Bloomberg has a solid chance of defeating Trump. In terms of electability, I put him up there with Klobuchar, and ahead of Buttigieg (sexual orientation) and Biden (addled brained.)

However, with Biden, Buttigieg and Klobuchar also competitive in the center-left lane, it's going to be tough for him to get the nomination regardless of his ad spending. The benefits of that spending are on a diminishing return and you can expect them to plateau soon enough if not already.

I was pretty fired up about Biden but sadly my earlier in the prediction appears to be true.
Biden is only running because of Trump, he wants to retire

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
3WkYSv0.png

not that much of a fan myself, but taking potshots at trump is an ok thing

Feb 4, 2009
3WkYSv0.png

Per recent polling stop & frisk doesn’t seem to bother black voters. He polled real close to Biden and what Biden lost Bloomberg gained.
I’m not the guy who would have been targeted by stop & frisk so I try to avoid the topic.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
3WkYSv0.png

Meh, another horny rich guy. Apparently, it's a thing. Anyway, have no interest in this guy yet - just the money he's willing to spend to defeat Trump.
It's always near impossible to defeat an incumbent president when the economy is good :(

Reactions: KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
if thats the choice we are fucked beyond belief.

That’s the choice every modern election.
Two realistic choices, unless you want a 3rd party protest vote. Those two typically have the most funds to spend.
I’d love Bernie he just has so many hurdles. Assuming he is the candidate, does he accept Bloomberg ad money. Bloomberg has pledged to help whomever the candidate is. How does Bernie rant against billionaires when he is taking ad money from a billionaire. Other option is Bernie turns away the money. How does Bernie compete when he is being out spent 10/20 or 40 to one?
If elected I’ve yet to hear how Bernie plans on getting anything done. Boomers & the country went ape shit with Obama, imagine Bernie.

Nov 17, 2019
It's like nobody ever searches before they post a thread ....

Reactions: Thunder 57

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bloomberg is certainly throwing some shade at Trump, and I'm sure it's chaffing his ass. Bloomberg knows how to get under Trump's skin. Which is a good thing. Even if he loses, he's willing to throw massive amounts of his money to bury Trump, which is also a good thing.

Ultimately, Bloomberg is banking on a brokered convention. He has spread his money out enough that he has a ton of super-delegate votes in his pocket. If no one gets a majority of the bound delegates during the primary, it's going to be a brokered convention. Anything can happen. Clinton only won 1 out of his first 10 primaries so Biden still has a shot at it but if it comes down to a brokered convention, Bloomberg has 60 billion dollars and that can be very convincing to a political party. Total dollars spent during the 2016 election by the winning candidate 646 million. That's about 1% of what Michael Bloomberg has.

Bloomberg's terribly flawed, but we don't have the privilege of stomping our feet on the Internet about one damn issue over and over and over and over and over, and then potentially watch another (possibly weaker) candidate either 1) lose to Trump this fall, or 2) further empower the GOP in the House and/or Senate, and then shrug our shoulders and say "...Oh well, better luck...next time. Four more years of Trump would be far worse than even Bloomberg's worst shit he did in the past. The GOP is very much wounded right now. They've dug themselves into a hole that has left everyone but the true believers shaking their heads in disbelief. This is about getting rid of Trump and inflicting massive damage on the GOP. I'd like to tell both Bloomberg and Trump to fuck off, but we just don't have that luxury.

Reactions: BadTrip

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Two realistic choices, unless you want a 3rd party protest vote. Those two typically have the most funds to spend.
I’d love Bernie he just has so many hurdles. Assuming he is the candidate, does he accept Bloomberg ad money. Bloomberg has pledged to help whomever the candidate is. How does Bernie rant against billionaires when he is taking ad money from a billionaire. Other option is Bernie turns away the money. How does Bernie compete when he is being out spent 10/20 or 40 to one?
If elected I’ve yet to hear how Bernie plans on getting anything done. Boomers & the country went ape shit with Obama, imagine Bernie.

bernie doesnt take any money from billionaires.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001

Bernies ideals are his most important asset. Who would ever believe he could accomplish his goals? Twenty five % would be a great achievement across the board.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
bernie doesnt take any money from billionaires.

Well...we'll see if that changes if he becomes the nominee. "Senator Sanders, if you are the nominee, do you want me to NOT use my money and resources to help you defeat President Trump?" Either he stays on message that billionaire money is inherently evil and that he would rather go into battle significantly outgunned on the money front than have help from those who have big money to use in the battle. Either he would know that Bloomberg probably despises Trump enough that he'd spend much money on Bernie's behalf anyway even if Bernie didn't want it, or Bernie would probably believe that he can beat Trump handily enough without Bloomberg's money. He would be telling Democratic voters whose top priority is beating Trump that he would turn down a billion dollars to that goal.

I get Bernie's position. I just don't think his consistent positions and issues are not most of the positions and issues of the Democratic party as a whole per se, his forever war is not with Trump, but a class war against the wealthy. Everything else is in service of fighting that war and the fight is the point, not the victory and viewed through that filter. That has been his consistent message and position ...always. Having effective weapons that were made by those who make weapons to fight against those who make weapons would be unacceptable. Better to go into battle with slingshots. The fight is what matters.

Sadly IMO...It is just not where most Democrats and independents are at. To them beating Trump is job one, and they realize it takes resources to do that, not purity that would have you turn down the resources because it came from someone who had it to give.

Feb 4, 2009
Bernies ideals are his most important asset. Who would ever believe he could accomplish his goals? Twenty five % would be a great achievement across the board.

How about zero percent?

Which current Republican Senator is going to vote for a tax increase to fund Medicare for all or student loan forgiveness or free higher education or increased social security funding?