Starfield - The successor to Freelancer?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The first gameplay footage of Starfield was revealed a couple days ago and looks to have everything we wanted in a sequel to Freelancer.

I really hope Starfield turns out to be hugely successful with an active modding community like Skyrim. Bethesda beating Chris Roberts to the punch would be great to witness.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
You better believe that there will be an 'active modding community' for Starfield, because it would be required.

The first mod I'll be looking for before buying this game is the Unofficial Starfield Patch.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You better believe that there will be an 'active modding community' for Starfield, because it would be required.

The first mod I'll be looking for before buying this game is the Unofficial Starfield Patch.

Like all Bethesda games this one will be awesome a few years after it is released when the community finally patches the bugs out of it and corrects all the terrible systems Bethesda put into it. I just feel sorry for the suckers that will buy it day one not realizing that Bethesda has never made a game that could be played in the first year of it's release.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Admittedly I have not watched the actual gameplay trailers, however Bethesda has a real opportunity here to make a really kick ass pseudo survival "sim" here that brings the genre to the mass market in a big way.

They have the rpg/gameplay elements in place, they have the core of a great survival/building sim in place, they just need to meld them in a satisfying but not frustrating way to really take their open world's to the next level.

My biggest problem with a lot of survival sims is the lack of a narrative and somewhat ironically that survival is really the only focus of the game rather than a means to an end.

Bethesda is right there with their base building in FO4 (admittedly haven"t played it but my understanding is the base building feels a bit too tacked on) and if they take it to the next logical step where survival and base building are limited but core elements of the game then they'll have really hit the mainstream consensus on the head.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

thing that worries me is looking at fallout4 bethesida has been actively trying to kill that community and forcing them to pay for the tools via workshop addon, which was paid DLC.

Reactions: KompuKare

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
thing that worries me is looking at fallout4 bethesida has been actively trying to kill that community and forcing them to pay for the tools via workshop addon, which was paid DLC.

Hopefully they'll come up with something that lets modding work with Windows Store. Because a bunch of people will probably get the game that way, through Xbox Game Pass.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Hopefully they'll come up with something that lets modding work with Windows Store. Because a bunch of people will probably get the game that way, through Xbox Game Pass.

Already does. There are some mods that won't work, like you cannot replace certain files.

Advanced Installation and Management Features available for Insiders through the Xbox App for Windows - Xbox Wire

Couldn't find a release announcement about it, but I am not Insider and I see this feature in the Xbox app.

Mods have always sort of worked (at least for many years now). The issue was that it required several hoops to jump through like taking ownership of the directory.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTMBK

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
1. i sure hope it's not "fallout in space" but rather a brand new game. Because if it's fallout in space, i'll hate it.
For a comparison, The Outer World was a decent story-driven RPG, but had garbage fight mechanics.
i can already see from the video that enemies do negligible damage.
2. i really doubt Bethesda, who are obsessed with making sure you see the storyline that they wrote, will allow you the freedom that Freelancer had.

Reactions: shortylickens

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
1. i sure hope it's not "fallout in space" but rather a brand new game. Because if it's fallout in space, i'll hate it.
For a comparison, The Outer World was a decent story-driven RPG, but had garbage fight mechanics.

The Outer Worlds has no flying if I am remembering correctly. Are you thinking of a different game? Outer Wilds has flying which I quite like reminds me of that ancient Lunar Lander arcade game.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Outer Worlds has no flying if I am remembering correctly. Are you thinking of a different game? Outer Wilds has flying which I quite like reminds me of that ancient Lunar Lander arcade game.
Not really.
Outer Worlds - that Obsidian game - only has flying as much as you can travel between worlds. I'm not really concerned with that however, but more with, is the game a challenge, as RPGs ought to be, or is it trivial ?
Because my biggest problem with Skyrim etc is how easy the games are.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm definitely interested in this game, but will wait for the modders to fix all the (inevitable) problems before playing it.

It doesn't seem anything like Freelancer though. That was more of a space combat and exploration game. More like Fallout in space or Mass Effect Andromeda.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Any news if it will be a live service like Fallout76?
The amount of content / worlds one can supposedly go to make it sort of unrealistic for it to be all on the PC, unless each world is procedurally generated.

This is what im worried about...
Bethesda always will and tries to find a way to grab you by the (you know where) and squeeze hard if you do something they don't like.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
So this got delayed again to September 2023.

Bethesda wanting to release this last November is just classic, probably fully expected the community to fix their bug ridden mess.

Thank goodness for Microsoft pushing this back twice because clearly Bethesda had no intention of quality control.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its gonna be a fun mess. Like all their other games.
But Bethesda is at least trying to make it work at launch. As opposed to Ubisoft or Electronic Arts, whose motto is "Let the customers pay for our beta test!"

Reactions: WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'd prefer not to be called a "sucker" but I will be day one. There hasn't been a Bethesda game that I bought on day one that I couldn't complete. Sure, the mods do make everything better and I'm sure mods will be rolling immediately after release.

I have high hopes for this game. I have more faith in the modders though.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Witcher 3 is already taking 200 hours of my life so I'll get to Starfield around 2030 or so...

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im just wondering if it will be a single player like Fallout4, or have a online DRM and be MMO like Fallout76.
This will probably be the ultimate buy or no buy for me.
If its a subscription / online DRM based like Fallout76, i probably will not play it.

Feb 4, 2009
Im just wondering if it will be a single player like Fallout4, or have a online DRM and be MMO like Fallout76.
This will probably be the ultimate buy or no buy for me.
If its a subscription / online DRM based like Fallout76, i probably will not play it.
While I haven’t followed it much, I am fairly certain it’s single player only.
Fortunately I have some people to game with and single player games don’t have a lot of value to me at the moment.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
What is humanity's greatest mystery? :confused_old: I hope this game is not gonna suck
Supposedly to come out in September 2023

There is very little info on this game for how long have they been working on it?

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
What is humanity's greatest mystery? :confused_old: I hope this game is not gonna suck
Supposedly to come out in September 2023

There is very little info on this game for how long have they been working on it?

-Not gunna lie... it looks ****ing lame. I feel like I've played a better version of this a million times before. Has a sort of Mass-effecty look to it without any of the space opera stuff that made Mass Effect legend. Sort of an Andromeda mixed with Outer Worlds vibe, which isn't a good thing.

It missing some sort of X factor, right now it looks like a generic game engine demo. There isn't a real draw or hook from what I can see. Just another Shooter/RPG hybrid with some semi-realistic future stylings.

Probably why we're not hearing a lot. My bet is that unlike Elder Scrolls which is Bethsoft's baby and Fallout which oozes style from every pore, they don't really know what to do with this and its not gelling the way its supposed to but they're in too deep.

NASA-Punk Space Odyssey probably sounded really good on some whiteboard since its so different from their other IPs and plugs a gap without stepping on any toes... but the execution is just not particularly inspiring.