Starcraft 2 - Read Post #2 for a useful beginner guide

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm surprised to see so many of you going out for the midnight launch. What do you all take off of work tomorrow? Maybe I'm just getting old but I have not picked up a game at midnight for some time now. Anyhow I have a Dr. Apt tomorrow and am still up?

If I sign up for Battlenet right now and buy the game online how long do you think before I am up and running? I see someone mentioned something about 10am? Help me out here

10am PST is for digital download. Midnight isn't that late unless you're used to sleeping at like 9pm.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Did Blizzard not send out any review copies to anyone cus there are ZERO reviews for the game?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Did Blizzard not send out any review copies to anyone cus there are ZERO reviews for the game?

Reviewers are going to be up all night playing this game :)

There is no difference between reviewer and fan this time, Blizzard has leveled the playing field.

trevor0323

Jan 4, 2006
I noticed no reviews as well. I am kind of pissed at myself for not playing the beta. My gamespot prediction is a 9.0 due to there lack of love for PC gaming.

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
I remember another thread where people were estimating what the review sites would rate it. Most people thought it would be a 9, because Blizzard wouldn't pay them off, but they obviously won't be able to rate it much less than the best.

I think the installer is just poorly written. I have the recommended 2gb of memory, and it is paging like crazy, and going to take a whole hour to install at this rate :(

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
A lot of people are complaining in one thread on the battle.net forums about how they didn't know that they only get to make 1 character, and that they cannot change their name. I guess there is no warning in the game, so here it is for anybody that I may save from setting a name they didn't like best.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
just got through a few SP missions so far. i set it on hard, and while i completed the basic objectives no problem, the bonus objectives are HARD (unless you can really macro and build a huge f'in army)

really digging the new SP so far. it's also got a lot of character development in it, for an RTS, or any game for that matter.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
just got through a few SP missions so far. i set it on hard, and while i completed the basic objectives no problem, the bonus objectives are HARD (unless you can really macro and build a huge f'in army)

really digging the new SP so far. it's also got a lot of character development in it, for an RTS, or any game for that matter.

I'm playing it on brutal, and so far it's been a cakewalk... but then I've been burning for revenge for over a decade, so that's expected right?

Edit: Though that first time I played the mission where you have to win within 10 minutes to get the bonus achievement... I won in 10:10. Was quite annoyed :)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Man the menus load up slow like going into the options. I'm defragging it before I play to see if it helps.

Edit:
Defragging helped with some of the lag loading up menus and loading the maps. Definitely fun so far. Played 3 missions but it's after 3 and need to get some sleep. Can't wait to play more tomorrow after work.

Last edited:

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
To those who ordered from Amazon.com with release date delivery:

Have you gotten an email yet stating that your order has shipped?

mine shipped yesterday, and as of 1:30 was only 30miles away so I imagine I will get it tomorrow. CE.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Anyone have any sources or URLs for efforts to fix LAN gaming yet?

I've read sketchy reports that it includes pseudo LAN, in that if several computers from one network connect to a game, Battle.net detects this and enables them to communicate directly with each other.

Sadly, the sources I can find for that arent definitive - they often merely quote blizzard as saying they were thinking about it.

I have also come across reports of a Professional Edition that includes LAN play and is meant for tournaments etc.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
G
Gotta be a Prime member and you can get free release-day shipping :). But, I think Amazon has a warehouse pretty close to NY, so you should get it quickly. Mine is shipping from Kentucky and that's Amazon's second closest warehouse to me (closest being in Tennessee).

mines coming from Kentucky apparently

Apr 28, 2010
Just picked up my copy in Copenhagen. Why does this take so long to install... :p

Hope we'll see an updated version of the SC2 tools from TeamLiquid to customize the keyboard layout (as I'm used to something which revolves around the WASD keys) that I used during the beta.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Reviewers are going to be up all night playing this game :)

There is no difference between reviewer and fan this time, Blizzard has leveled the playing field.

Good. After all the nonsense I dont trust professional reviewers anymore.
If you arent getting paid I can trust you.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've read sketchy reports that it includes pseudo LAN, in that if several computers from one network connect to a game, Battle.net detects this and enables them to communicate directly with each other.

Sadly, the sources I can find for that arent definitive - they often merely quote blizzard as saying they were thinking about it.

I have also come across reports of a Professional Edition that includes LAN play and is meant for tournaments etc.

What is the price tag of this 'Professional Edition'? 80 dollars? Think I'll hold off until its fully enabled or patched in by Blizzard. Given the dismal impression I got in the beta, it shouldn't be a problem. Cinematics will probably be on Youtube or BT if they aren't already.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I got the shipped email last night around 9pm... hopefully the game arrives tomorrow. Thanks to somebody on here alerting me to Dell's special, got it for $45 :)

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
What is the price tag of this 'Professional Edition'? 80 dollars? Think I'll hold off until its fully enabled or patched in by Blizzard. Given the dismal impression I got in the beta, it shouldn't be a problem. Cinematics will probably be on Youtube or BT if they aren't already.

Its only rumoured to exist, and if it does, wont be for sale to the general public.

Think about what it is - a DRM-less StarCraft II. Blizzard will want to keep it wrapped up tightly.