Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX)

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I went into the movie with very low expectations, hence I was surprised that I enjoyed it. Not perfect by any means for reasons that others have stated, but I liked it better that TLJ.

I'm purposely not reading any reviews or opinions. I just want to go to the movie with an open mind and see if I like it or not. It's amazing how much mob mentality affects people's opinions these days. They feel they're not allowed to enjoy something if it's not approved by the Internet fun committee.

Reactions: FerrelGeek

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I enjoyed the movied for what it was but I still kept wondering

why would you build such a massive fleet that only had two navigation towers that would allow it to leave?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
My low expectations were from the prior 2 movies, particularly TLJ.

I'm purposely not reading any reviews or opinions. I just want to go to the movie with an open mind and see if I like it or not. It's amazing how much mob mentality affects people's opinions these days. They feel they're not allowed to enjoy something if it's not approved by the Internet fun committee.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
I enjoyed the movied for what it was but I still kept wondering

why would you build such a massive fleet that only had two navigation towers that would allow it to leave?

No kidding, and when they attacked the first one and then found out it was offline why did they not try to destroy it anyways just in case? Also how did they really know that information. None of them even knew about the secret Sith planet and now they know exactly where that tower was and that it had to be destroyed to prevent the ships from leaving the atmosphere so that they could activate their shields or whatever. And isn't that convenient that all those star destroyers were kept in a place where they would be vulnerable for attack. Why were they kept there in that vulnerable state? Palpatine was ready to launch his attack, he should have moved those ships immediately to a place where they could activate their shields. Hell even if they were in space exposed it is not like anyone would have launched an attack against them, that would have been suicide. Also the Sith planet was so secret and secluded it is not likely that anyone would have found that fleet anyways. Another thing, why did they bring those dumb space horses on the attack? Did they really think they would need them? They have all those ships to attack the tower with their lasers but they thought people on horseback would work better? Then they land on the destroyer and ride the horses to the other tower. Couldn't they have just landed closer to the tower and walked to where they needed to go? Also Finn knew exactly where to put the explosives on that huge start destroyer. He was just a storm trooper. How does he have all the knowledge of everything you would need to know about how to destroy that system? It would be like some private in the army knowing exactly how to take out a Navy aircraft carrier. This movie had way too many convenient plot points to make any sense.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Also how did they really know that information. None of them even knew about the secret Sith planet and now they know exactly where that tower was and that it had to be destroyed to prevent the ships from leaving the atmosphere so that they could activate their shields or whatever.
Many Bothans died to bring them this information. I thought General Hux leaked this info.
:)

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
Many Bothans died to bring them this information. I thought General Hux leaked this info.
The information they got from the spy was early on in the beginning of movie. Now I cannot remember what it actually was. I don't think it was about the Final Order fleet on the Sith Planet otherwise they would have said something earlier in the movie about that fleet. I know Hux saved the team as they were saving Chewie but it did not seem like he gave them anymore information there. Did they say Hux told them about the navigation towers when they were planning the attack? However I doubt that Hux knew about the Final Order fleet or the Sith Planet at all. It seemed like all of it was Palpatine's secret plan.

EDIT; looks like the spy message was only that Palpatine was on Exegol. Hmmm, seems like people knew that there was a Sith planet. Wouldn't it have been safe to say that if Palpatine was alive that is where he would be? Did a spy really have to tell them that?

Darn, at some point I am going to have to watch this movie again. I really wish I was 7 years old again. That way I could turn my brain off and enjoy this movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majes

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
OK, I saw it. Spoiler free conclusion:

- It suffered from the same issue a lot of today's movies have: the writers created an 8 hour movie they had to edit to less than 3 hrs, resulting in a choppy, non-following, and confusing plot.
- They went with a completely new, unrelated story line, and then tried to retcon it like that was the plan the whole time. PeeWee Herman kept saying "I meant to do that" in my head for a good portion of the movie.
- They're focusing so much on using The Force that it became a parody of itself. They're able to do all these goofy things now, and they're giving Force powers to everyone these days. Force users and Jedi were cool because they were very rare. If everyone is special then nobody is special.
- Parts of the movie were so sappy they literally made me cringe.
- They've made lightsaber battles boring because they're so common. Also lightsabers seem to be everywhere...they must sell them at Galaxy-Mart or where ever they shop...
- Poe overdid the funny banter stuff. Kind of wanted him to just shut the hell up after a while.
- All ships in that universe will fly, no matter how old they are, where they've been, or how long they've been there. It's amazing they ever need to build new ones!

I DID like:
- Lando. It was good to see Billy Dee Williams again, and they used him tastefully despite his issues walking.
- They seemed to handle Carrie's parts well for what they had to work with (the CGI Carrie was a little cringy, but I understand)
- The subplots seemed a lot better in this movie than the previous ones.
- I liked the OG droids got more screen time this time.
- All of the Easter eggs that called back to previous movies

I didn't absolutely hate it, but I didn't like it either. I kind of feel the same way I did after I left the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. This is coming from not exposing myself to any reviews, spoilers, or even watching the previews. They could have done so much better if they simply got a producer that understood the material. They really needed to simplify the story from the beginning. Everything so complex it was hard to follow and they ended up painting themselves into a corner.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
No kidding, and when they attacked the first one and then found out it was offline why did they not try to destroy it anyways just in case? Also how did they really know that information. None of them even knew about the secret Sith planet and now they know exactly where that tower was and that it had to be destroyed to prevent the ships from leaving the atmosphere so that they could activate their shields or whatever. And isn't that convenient that all those star destroyers were kept in a place where they would be vulnerable for attack. Why were they kept there in that vulnerable state? Palpatine was ready to launch his attack, he should have moved those ships immediately to a place where they could activate their shields. Hell even if they were in space exposed it is not like anyone would have launched an attack against them, that would have been suicide. Also the Sith planet was so secret and secluded it is not likely that anyone would have found that fleet anyways. Another thing, why did they bring those dumb space horses on the attack? Did they really think they would need them? They have all those ships to attack the tower with their lasers but they thought people on horseback would work better? Then they land on the destroyer and ride the horses to the other tower. Couldn't they have just landed closer to the tower and walked to where they needed to go? Also Finn knew exactly where to put the explosives on that huge start destroyer. He was just a storm trooper. How does he have all the knowledge of everything you would need to know about how to destroy that system? It would be like some private in the army knowing exactly how to take out a Navy aircraft carrier. This movie had way too many convenient plot points to make any sense.

That whole part about landing closer to the target makes me want to ask in Episode 4, why have the X-wing fighters go down the trench to take a shot at the exhaust port instead of direct head on attack with the port directly in front...seems like that would have been a much easier shot...but would be a whole more boring action wise...

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Saw it this afternoon with my wife and daughter. Looked and sounded great in a Dolby Cinema theater. The movie has been analyzed and critiqued to death so I don't have much to add, but it did feel like the finale could have easily been two movies. Let some of the plot marinate a little but probably to cumbersome to pull off.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
That whole part about landing closer to the target makes me want to ask in Episode 4, why have the X-wing fighters go down the trench to take a shot at the exhaust port instead of direct head on attack with the port directly in front...seems like that would have been a much easier shot...but would be a whole more boring action wise...
Easiest explanation is that flying closer to the surface limits the number of turbolasers that could target the approaching craft at any one time. Also a head on attack still requires getting close enough for a direct hit while still having enough clearance to pull up and away.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
Easiest explanation is that flying closer to the surface limits the number of turbolasers that could target the approaching craft at any one time. Also a head on attack still requires getting close enough for a direct hit while still having enough clearance to pull up and away.
The other problem I had with that scene was that they sent 3 fighters down the trench. One was going to take the shot and the others where there to fly cover but they were really there just to get blown up. They couldn't fire any lasers behind their fighters so they were useless. Just sitting ducks to get picked off.

In any case this still cracks me up

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Box Office: ‘Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker’ Suffers Massive 81% Plunge

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/01/06/box-office-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-suffers-massive-81-plunge/

also:
While The Force Awakens had raked in $742.2 million by the third weekend and The Last Jedi had scored $517.2 million, The Rise of Skywalker’s total currently sits at a quiet $450.8 million.
So while The Rise of Skywalker has neared $1 billion on the global spectrum, the Disney film’s domestic run has landed with a bit of a thud after just two-and-a-half weeks in theaters.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/01/06/box-office-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-suffers-massive-81-plunge/

also:
While The Force Awakens had raked in $742.2 million by the third weekend and The Last Jedi had scored $517.2 million, The Rise of Skywalker’s total currently sits at a quiet $450.8 million.
So while The Rise of Skywalker has neared $1 billion on the global spectrum, the Disney film’s domestic run has landed with a bit of a thud after just two-and-a-half weeks in theaters.

At this point it won't even beat Rogue One... That's pretty incredible.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010

also:

The other day I saw one of those "Star Wars the number 1 movie for two consecutive weeks" commercials. I was thinking I never saw one of those for a Star Wars movie before. They must be desperate to generate more in theater revenue if they have to result to those type of commercials. It used to be word of mouth would be more than enough.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is...it told a straight forward, sensical, and clean story.

Rise of Skywalker was an edited mess. Hollywood needs to realize less is more.

It's already made a billion dollars. Hollywood learns nothing when they have already decided that this terrible mess is a resounding success.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
It is...it told a straight forward, sensical, and clean story.

Rise of Skywalker was an edited mess. Hollywood needs to realize less is more.

Yeah, to be honest I doubt I will ever watch these movies again. I've seen the original trilogy so many times I couldn't count, but these movies are going to be pushed into prequel status of semi entertaining to see in the theater, but never need to be seen again.