Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh fun fact: It is officially more expensive than all the Star Wars films and most of the Marvel films.
The only one more expensive was Avengers Endgame, at 356 million.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Just for comparison GTAV cost something like $265 million to make and 5 years of time. Star Citizen is closing in fast on 10 years lmao.

Isn't it amazing how frivolous you can be with the average Joes money? Goes to show you that you need a publisher with oversight to get shit done.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't think anyone is going to use Daikatana or even Duke Nukem: Forever as examples of misbegotten game design efforts anymore.

For $300m we could probably have working aneutrotic hot fusion by now. Well okay, maybe that's a stretch, but you get the idea . . .

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
wow, think of all that money absolutely wasted, even if it becomes a product, that could have otherwise funded about 150-200 cancer research labs across the country, for an average of 5 years each, minimum.

what a pathetic world we live in.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This is the videogame equivalent of Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy album, except that album eventually actually came out-when no one gave a sh*t anymore and probably sold 1/100 of what it would have if released in a timely manner when the band was popular.

It does surprise me this has been hanging for only ten years, it seems a lot longer.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
face over ip will change the gaming world !

Isn't Squadron 42 demo supposed to be out soon?

No. Squadron 42 was supposed to be released in 2014. Then 2015. Then 2016. Then 2017. Then 2018. Then.....

Last word from CIG was SQ42 was supposed to go into beta by the end of the third quarter of this year.

But...…….

They stopped updating their public roadmap a year ago. And they were supposed to release a video to discuss the new roadmap a month ago. At the last second, that video was postponed for "editorial" reasons.

I'm not making any of this up. This all happened.

It's frustrating to me, because all I want is Squadron 42. But on the other hand......this is a different, unexpected form of entertainment.

Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Another thing that irks me is the cast of Hollywood actors they wasted money on, you don't need name actors to make a great game, but Crobear loves Hollywood.

Reactions: Artorias

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Another thing that irks me is the cast of Hollywood actors they wasted money on, you don't need name actors to make a great game, but Crobear loves Hollywood.

Completely agree. It's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that CR and his wife want to be "someone" in Hollywood.

I wasn't a fan of the Hollywood hires. They make no sense and aren't needed for visuals or storytelling.

But since the damage has been done, it DOES make me want to play SQ42 more.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i read an update on sq42 and it was scheduled for this year with a teaser video but all of that was delayed/pulled. even the roadmap with the schedule was taken down from cig.

to make things worse for them, elite dangerous just announced they are adding 1st person character interaction to the game (aka space legs). so you can walk around on planets and space ports. apparently that was the one thing sc had over ed. with star wars squadrons hard scheduled for oct release, cig is looking pretty empty handed on the results side of the 250m$ equation.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oh the game will release, if only to avoid lawsuits and the shit storm of biblical proportions. Will it be any good? Probably not.

Reactions: shortylickens

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
When I backed this 8 years ago I didn't account for the fact I would have little interest in games by the time it came out.
you can bequeath your spaceship jpgs to your grandchildren assuming that isnt against tos. assuming we dont have real life spaceships by the time they "finish"

Reactions: zinfamous

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

sounds like even the true believers are getting feed up?

Yes. It's a bit surprising, but even some of the most committed Defenders of the Faith over on the Star Citizen forums are expressing frustration over the lack of information on Squadron 42.

The general consensus is: the game won't be going into beta this quarter (as CIG told us last year). So what. We all know that. Come on CIG, just tell us the truth and give us an update.

Yet CIG maintains radio silence.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The fanboys need to be satiated. Even a small drop of more Kool-Aid will tide them over.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The fanboys need to be satiated. Even a small drop of more Kool-Aid will tide them over.

I'm not so sure this time. Read this bs from yesterday and, if interested, read some of the comments.

A roadmap to disclose a roadmap. "We don't like excuses" yet the post is full of....excuses.

This is funny stuff. No doubt some of the Defenders will lap it up and stick their heads back into the sand. But, increasingly, more people are asking critical questions.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
SBpsrjJ.jpg

so many people have been swindled

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
To be honest, if you can't produce a basic, high-level feature roadmap within a day, something is SERIOUSLY WRONG with your development as such a roadmap can be easily based upon internal development goals.

I was looking at the game Blightbound yesterday, which had just released on Steam's Early Access, and their website has a list of upcoming features. They split it up based upon Early Access release, two follow-up releases, and other future features. In each release, they list the planned features for that release. That showed me that the team has an idea of what they have prioritized as important features and when they're planning to implement them. The only unknown to me is whether the team is truly capable of completing it. (They should devote a decent amount of time to bug fixing after going into a sort of public beta phase like Early Access.)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
When I backed this 8 years ago I didn't account for the fact I would have little interest in games by the time it came out.

Haha, absolutely this. When I initially backed this I could play video games for 12 hours a day and still have time to hit the beach and gym for a few hours. Now, I have a full time job, wife, and kid and the game is still no where in sight.

Cannot say how happy I am I cut and ran years ago with a decent profit.