• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Haha, absolutely this. When I initially backed this I could play video games for 12 hours a day and still have time to hit the beach and gym for a few hours. Now, I have a full time job, wife, and kid and the game is still no where in sight.

Cannot say how happy I am I cut and ran years ago with a decent profit.
I am sad to say my life has made no such progress. But whatever.

In the time between Duke Nukem 3D and Forever I,
Started my senior year of high school.
Graduated high school.
Joined the Navy.
Served in Florida.
Liberated Kosovo.
Entered and left dry-dock.
Got my ESWS.
Spent one year in Advanced Electronics school.
Served in Iceland.
Served in California.
Left the Navy.
Started my job at a semiconductor plant.
Watched the economy take a nose dive.
Lost my job at the semiconductor plant.
Went unemployed.
Found a new job in Portland.
Ran out my contract.
Moved in with mom.
Started community college.
Finished community college.
Started university college.
Delivered pizzas.

So, yeah. Sometimes people are just wasting time.

Reactions: TheVrolok

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
When I backed this 8 years ago I didn't account for the fact I would have little interest in games by the time it came out.
Man this is so true. I remember how excited I was when this product was first pitched but it's dragged on so loooong. My oldest son was 9 at the start of all this. He graduated high school this year.........

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Interesting fact: the last time Chris Roberts was seen by backers was a video recorded in November 2019.

There are some people uneasy about that.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Rumor is he is getting pulled out of controlling decisions.

Sandi hasn't be seen in ages so safe to assume she is done. I think she still holds a board position.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
Hope that is true. Have to assume most people working at CIG are honest decent workers that want to see project succeed and also have some sense of self preservation. Chris Roberts may be set for life if project fails, but if Star Citizen is labeled a scam (fairly or not) is not something I'd want on my resume. Especially for upper management, developers should be fine. Otherwise there is not point of releasing as they clearly can milk backers with stupid new ship jpgs/feature creep/'required' design changes/etc.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Rumor is he is getting pulled out of controlling decisions.

Sandi hasn't be seen in ages so safe to assume she is done. I think she still holds a board position.
getting pulled out by whom? I was under the impression that he owned it outright. I vaguely remember him selling some shares/rights/orsomething like that off but I thought he was retaining control of the company. As he's crowdfunded most of it, I'm not sure who he'd be held accountable to, let alone anyone that could pull him out of CIG. Having said that, it's been a minute since I really paid attention to this stupidity so I might have missed some stuff. I wonder if our resident SC preacher still is big into it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
getting pulled out by whom? I was under the impression that he owned it outright. I vaguely remember him selling some shares/rights/orsomething like that off but I thought he was retaining control of the company. As he's crowdfunded most of it, I'm not sure who he'd be held accountable to, let alone anyone that could pull him out of CIG. Having said that, it's been a minute since I really paid attention to this stupidity so I might have missed some stuff. I wonder if our resident SC preacher still is big into it.
It's a common misconception that Chris Roberts is the CIG sole dictator.

But from the start, CIG was founded with Chris being a co-chairman of the Board with Ortwin Freyermuth. Certainly CR is (or was) the face of the company. But the fact he shared Chairman duties from the beginning seems to indicate he's not completely in control.

I don't know who else is on the Board. However, I suspect the Calders now hold seats since they purchased a sizeable chunk of the company.

So just speculating, but this could be a Board directed action.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Another day, another new jpeg for sale. At least it is "only" $100. And not flyable for 4 months.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Another day, another new jpeg for sale. At least it is "only" $100. And not flyable for 4 months.
It's also ugly in my opinion.

But I'm not into the "bird" spaceship style.

Regardless, I'd be wary of the "flyable December 2020" statement. This is CIG and dates.....well...….that's not their strength.

ASK THE COMMUNITY