• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Oh the game will be released so they avoid lawsuits.

That slime ball Chris Roberts though is pocketing millions and siphoning it away from development.
surprised they still have backers dishing out millions.
I would assume the audience would of all outgrew the game by now.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
So, I've read this from the start and even had some fun looking at Derek's site and recent comments. Well, he was totally right.

I'm somehow pissed all these millions in funds that could make for spectacular space themed games aren't going into several times better ones, like Homeworld 3 that is still open to funding, or to stay closer to the genre something like Infinity: Battlescape.
This one unfortunately is somewhat hardly managing while having a game 100x more stable and with seamless space to ground transitions, plus hundreds of people in the same instance. No bull like Elite or SC where you see something far off then pop-in happens then you are next to a station and some ships. No, actual orbit, what you can see you can reach and is really there, always.
They don't use a proprietary engine with ten years of development for nothing, as the good old Derek said: those games take time to develop, even more so when you want massive scale worlds.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm somehow pissed all these millions in funds that could make for spectacular space themed games aren't going into several times better ones, like Homeworld 3 that is still open to funding, or to stay closer to the genre something like Infinity: Battlescape.
If you think that's bad, the world's leading-edge hot fusion project (headed by Commonwealth Fusion) has received less funding overall than Star Citizen.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
surprised they still have backers dishing out millions.
I would assume the audience would of all outgrew the game by now.
There are people that still play Ultima Online. Never underestimate staying power of online games, more so when people sink as much time, energy and money into the game.

ASK THE COMMUNITY