Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah I have a feeling that outside of PvP it will be difficult to lose a ship, maybe the damage it takes will be challenging to repair or a simple time sink like this ship is out of action for one hour.
I can easily imagine some vendor in the repair that has quests to get parts or cash to fix or replace.

Yup. But I think the one exception will be Vanduul ships (the bad guys). I'm betting CIG creates some lore that says that the Vanduul will self-destruct before getting captured. So people will still be able to see pretty explosions if they're out battling the bad guys.....and that rare event that allows a player to disable a Vanduul ship will be a really big deal.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I honestly don't know why people are willing to give their money to Chris Robers after he's scammed so many over so long in so many different industries. He's stolen so much money from different investors over the years I'm surprised he's not in prison. TV industry won't give him money anymore, movie industry won't give him money anymore, and even the video game industry told him to go spit which is why he was forced to turn to crowd funding aaaaaaand look where we are now. When will people learn that this guy is a thief?

These days, after scamming enough people and failing constantly with all of the money you have scammed, to the point that not one single bank or entity will lend you money any more, you run for political office.

Chris Roberts seems like a perfect Brexiter, no? :D

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Yup. But I think the one exception will be Vanduul ships (the bad guys). I'm betting CIG creates some lore that says that the Vanduul will self-destruct before getting captured. So people will still be able to see pretty explosions if they're out battling the bad guys.....and that rare event that allows a player to disable a Vanduul ship will be a really big deal.

EVE doesn't have a persistent "Big Bad" like the Vanduul right? I'm wondering if you can just grind on the Vanduul to progress however you want?

It would be a welcome relief for someone like me.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
EVE doesn't have a persistent "Big Bad" like the Vanduul right? I'm wondering if you can just grind on the Vanduul to progress however you want?

It would be a welcome relief for someone like me.

I haven't played EVE so can't answer that part of your question. But CIG are already on record saying there will LOTS of missions for players to battle Vanduul. According to lore, they're invading...and the UEN can't stem the tide alone. It needs to hire mercenaries.

IF CIG follow through on this, it'll be a really good thing - it opens up a lot of gameplay opportunities for people who aren't interested in pvp.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I agree.

Some of stuff that went down in EVE due to player driven content is just incredible. And it's odd for me, a lifelong gamer, to say this...I don't think I have it in me to get into a game so deeply like that. So while blowing up somebody's station where all their high value clones with high value mods were sleeping is a great headline, but I think I'd be happier trading and killing Vanduul with or without friends.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I agree.

Some of stuff that went down in EVE due to player driven content is just incredible. And it's odd for me, a lifelong gamer, to say this...I don't think I have it in me to get into a game so deeply like that. So while blowing up somebody's station where all their high value clones with high value mods were sleeping is a great headline, but I think I'd be happier trading and killing Vanduul with or without friends.

Agreed. IF I play Star Citizen, I don't have much of a desire to play with anyone really. I just want to be that "lone rogue making his way through the galaxy" (that's a Chris Roberts quote coincidentally). But sadly, I see CIG very much steering development towards coop and pvp play. So my hope remains that Squadron 42 is a good single player experience.

IF it's ever released.........

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
I agree.

The kinds of groups who can afford to own stations like that in EVE and risk keeping that kind of stuff there are the ones that won't be too bothered by losing it. Groups like that are ridiculously rich.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Nice. They died boarding a ship. And trying to climb a ladder. And um. Wow. It's really easy to die in that game!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I ditched the band wagon back in 2015.

To be honest, this game needs to just die.
Its getting way too tiring and played out.
I honestly thought this game would be released before Final Fantasy 7 remake, but welp, looks like square won that race.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

I honestly thought this game would be released before Final Fantasy 7 remake, but welp, looks like square won that race.

They made more money not releasing the game and selling dreams then they ever would of made releasing croberts half baked ideas.

Reactions: KMFJD

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Valve has released a Half Life game before this game has launched.

Let that sink in for a moment.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
they are selling a new ship that is laced with colloidal silver, only $109.99 usd!!! i bought 12 plus with insurance and only cost me $4500.69

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

What do you mean "ditched the band wagon"?
You got your money back?
You stopped playing the beta?
You stopped whining?

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Is it too early to say I told you so?
yeah, youre jumping the gun. why dont we at least give them a reasonable amount of time to deliver on their promises instead of just jumping on their necks before theyve even got a chance to start?

• Haha
Reactions: JSt0rm

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What do you mean "ditched the band wagon"?
You got your money back?
You stopped playing the beta?
You stopped whining?

no... i pretty much considered that a lost cause...
nope the game wasn't even in BETA, it was Alpha, and all i remember being able to do was walk around a space port?
yes... i stopped whining about it, because it was a lost cause.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
You don’t understand game development! Or something.

It'd fall under the "This is totally different. No one has ever attempted to make a whole universe game.. blah.. blah.." or "They already had a jump start on it as they've owned the tech to build it for years unlike SC.. blah.. blah..blah.."

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
no... i pretty much considered that a lost cause...
nope the game wasn't even in BETA, it was Alpha, and all i remember being able to do was walk around a space port?
yes... i stopped whining about it, because it was a lost cause.

7.5 years later, both the single player and MMO games are STILL in what most would consider to be a pre- or early-alpha stage of development. That's the big issue.

Call me stupid, but I still have hopes for the single player game. I still think economics are going to force its release and the movie stars they (probably) overpaid to appear in the game will make it just enjoyable enough to call it entertainment.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
About the only thing i dont understand about this is how have they not been sued into oblivion by now? like obvious scam is obvious.