Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
KEEP ON TOPIC.

I DONT WANT TO SEE ANYTHING ABOUT STEAM UNLESS IT PERTAINS TO THE TOPIC.
I DONT WANT TO READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF STEAM IN THIS THREAD UNLESS AGAIN, IT PERTAINS TO TOPIC.
I HONEST DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT STEAM, AS IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS TOPIC.

STEAM IS NOT CIG AND YOU HAVE GIVEN NO JUSTIFIED REASON TO BRING IT IN TOPIC.
IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE JUSTIFICATIONS OR MORAL IMPLICATIONS OF STEAM, THEN GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD AND STOP THREAD CAPPING THIS ONE ABOUT CIG.

THIS IS MY LAST WARNING I WILL START ISSUING OUT VIOLATIONS FASTER THEN YOU CAN SPELL OUT S-T-E-A-M NEXT TIME IT GOES THERE.

MODERATOR AIGOMORLA

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
KEEP ON TOPIC.

I DONT WANT TO SEE ANYTHING ABOUT STEAM UNLESS IT PERTAINS TO THE TOPIC.
I DONT WANT TO READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF STEAM IN THIS THREAD UNLESS AGAIN, IT PERTAINS TO TOPIC.
I HONEST DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT STEAM, AS IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS TOPIC.

STEAM IS NOT CIG AND YOU HAVE GIVEN NO JUSTIFIED REASON TO BRING IT IN TOPIC.
IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE JUSTIFICATIONS OR MORAL IMPLICATIONS OF STEAM, THEN GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD AND STOP THREAD CAPPING THIS ONE ABOUT CIG.

THIS IS MY LAST WARNING I WILL START ISSUING OUT VIOLATIONS FASTER THEN YOU CAN SPELL OUT S-T-E-A-M NEXT TIME IT GOES THERE.

MODERATOR AIGOMORLA

giphy.gif

:D

Reactions: NTMBK

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
*sigh*
*has mouse hovering over Warn button.... should i or shouldn't i*

Unless that's a pay ship for StarCitzen, lets not go there too!

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes and KMFJD

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Whoa. I might actually buy in just to motor around in that thing. That would almost be as funny as Thomas the Tank Engine in RE:2. Actually, I would really buy in to be Thomas the Tank Engine! Toot toot!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
*sigh*
*has mouse hovering over Warn button.... should i or shouldn't i*

I think it's the new fighter that CIG started teasing earlier this week. They have a web page up with a picture of an asteroid field. Every day the picture has been updated with the very large asteroid in the foreground being moved out of the picture to reveal.....well, it's coming soon.

Rumor has it, it's the Mantis....a new fighter.

Yawn.

I hope it's Steamboat Willy.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Latest Sunk Cost Galaxy focusing on the marketing of this scam

Thanks for posting. Fascinating. The marketing side of this story has always been interesting to me. How does a company raise a quarter of a billion dollars selling pixel fantasies?

There's some daytime drama-level shenanigan's going on with CIG. I always gave Sandi a lot of the credit but at the same time had questions about her true role - there were multiple events and statements that make a person wonder...….(as pointed out clearly in the video).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
PyPg49i.jpg

List of all the ships that you can buy.

Red x means they are not in the game, other slashes mean it's terribly broken in game...

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
PyPg49i.jpg

List of all the ships that you can buy.

Red x means they are not in the game, other slashes mean it's terribly broken in game...

I honestly thought there were more. Anyone done this with the price tags listed?

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
There are more ships. The ship variants (such as Cutlass variants, Freelancer variants, Hornet variants, Aurora variants, etc.) are not included in that image. Only one ship per series is included in the imaged. Scythe (not quite a Glaive variant) is missing, too.

Then they also have ground vehicles. A lot of them. Even a tank.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Chapter 8 of "Sunk Cost Galaxy" will dive deep into Sandi's breast size over the years since the kickstarter was announced.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
spoiler: it got bigger. and you bet your ass it was paid for on backer's dime.

This is the multi-million dollar question/concern. Nepotism. Forbes talked about it. Other have too. Chris Roberts has hired his wife and brother. And several "friends". How much are they being paid? Backers will never really know. But I suspect it's in excess of market value and/or the value they add to the company (the exception maybe being Erin Roberts who actually has the production experience to ship a successful product).

This project can go down in flames, but those friends and family are going to make out pretty good financially regardless of project success.

Feb 4, 2009
spoiler: it got bigger. and you bet your ass it was paid for on backer's dime.

I’d do the same, real & really paid for are the same to me.
Just a funny topic. I’m not that concerned with SC. I’ve bought plenty of early access games and I know the risks.
That is all I don’t want to thread crap.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
This is the multi-million dollar question/concern. Nepotism. Forbes talked about it. Other have too. Chris Roberts has hired his wife and brother. And several "friends". How much are they being paid? Backers will never really know. But I suspect it's in excess of market value and/or the value they add to the company (the exception maybe being Erin Roberts who actually has the production experience to ship a successful product).

This project can go down in flames, but those friends and family are going to make out pretty good financially regardless of project success.

One of those you don't want the answer to. But fairly confident on Erin's salary because it has to be reported.

And of course we know about Chris's family trust and the 4.3 million mansion.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Is this game ever going to be released?

The answer is complicated.

The single player game, Squadron 42, yeah it'll probably be released in 2021. CIG indicate beta in 3Q2020, but they'll be late because CIG is late more than on-time.

The multi-player game, Star Citizen.....well, it depends on how much money SQ42 makes. CIG is spending money faster than it's coming in. Clock is ticking. But, technically, Star Citizen is already "released". You can experience it today. Note that I purposely didn't use the word "play" (unlike CIG's own marketing).

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
The answer is complicated.

The single player game, Squadron 42, yeah it'll probably be released in 2021. CIG indicate beta in 3Q2020, but they'll be late because CIG is late more than on-time.

The multi-player game, Star Citizen.....well, it depends on how much money SQ42 makes. CIG is spending money faster than it's coming in. Clock is ticking. But, technically, Star Citizen is already "released". You can experience it today. Note that I purposely didn't use the word "play" (unlike CIG's own marketing).

If you go back in this thread a couple of years ago we were debating if SQ42 would come out in 2017 that they had listed at the time. At this point I have major doubts 2021 will happen. It's also disturbing a bit that we've been at this for too many years. When you go back into the thread (which is a time suck that'll make you feel stupid for stuff you posted thinking you had a clue) this same song has been going on and on and on. I have to give CIG credit. They've somehow been at this for years and not really released a product.

Are we in Alpha yet? Two years ago I called what they released alpha and was told it wasn't even close to ready for alpha.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Do you think they will last that long? As you say, they burn more money than they get.

Personally, I don't. I think CIG will need to sell more equity like they did earlier this year (the $46 million for 10% deal). But you have to wonder who would be interested in an equity deal (from everything we can see, it's a huge risk). Or, they might need to sell the SQ42 IP to a publisher to finish the game. And those funds could then be used to wind up a greatly-scaled back Star Citizen.

Personally, I like the publisher scenario. SQ42 is what I'm interested in (even if the story and gameplay are typical Sci-Fi trope). Give it to someone who knows what they're doing and maybe I actually get a game out of this deal...….