Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
A cautionary tale if I ever heard one. You could literally replace Broussard with Roberts in a few places and change the article title to "Star Citizen: How crowdfunding developer's dreams led to nightmares"

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Thread closed for posting opinion as fact, spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt rule 9a, 9b

I posted a screenshot.

And even used the disclaimer that it is my opinion.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
and how is that going?
if you're asking, then i assume you already know the answer ;)unfortunately, i don't have time to donwload it and play, but i read on TPU that the download servers are overwhelmed and many people have problems downloading the client.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if you're asking, then i assume you already know the answer ;)unfortunately, i don't have time to donwload it and play, but i read on TPU that the download servers are overwhelmed and many people have problems downloading the client.

So its a normal day in the star citizen saga.

and honestly I havent followed in a few months.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
5fCitxU.png

Interesting take

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

release date of 2020 for sq42 and....

https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/20/...another-46-million-to-finish-sci-fi-universe/

The money comes from Clive Calder and Keith Calder’s Snoot Entertainment, a couple of moguls in the United Kingdom music business. Under the deal, they will own 10 percent of Cloud Imperium, and Roberts will still retain control of the company and hold 75 percent ownership. The valuation of the company is $496 million.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/20/...another-46-million-to-finish-sci-fi-universe/

The money comes from Clive Calder and Keith Calder’s Snoot Entertainment, a couple of moguls in the United Kingdom music business. Under the deal, they will own 10 percent of Cloud Imperium, and Roberts will still retain control of the company and hold 75 percent ownership. The valuation of the company is $496 million.
Equity is cheaper than debt, so financially it's a good move. But it is evidence that's counter to what backers were told in previous years (i.e. we have enough funding to finish the game). CIG have spun this into...this funding is for marketing SQ42....but only a complete fool would expect them to need $46 million to market that game.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I admit that after all this time I forget a lot of things.. but did the project start as a single player with the massive universe as an add on?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I admit that after all this time I forget a lot of things.. but did the project start as a single player with the massive universe as an add on?

Wasnt it the other way around? started as MMO and then added single player?

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
Wasnt it the other way around? started as MMO and then added single player?
No, it started as a single player game and then morphed into "Everything you could ever want in a game no matter how unrealistic" thing afterward. Which must be especially frustrating for those initial backers who are going to be waiting 8+ years at best.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
But everyone asked for this.

I definitely put my $30 hoping for another Wing Commander. However, feel I got my money's worth by helping fund this remarkable ongoing dramatic story of a game maker and wannabe film maker. One whose hubris and delusions of grandeur caused this spectacular failure in game development. Only it was not a failure in game development, but an incredible marketing ploy of the greatest used car/jpeg dealer of all time. Bravo! The actual story of the spectacular failed game caused by a severely flawed character is also interesting, but that sounds tragic and like most backers ignorance is bliss and prefer to believe happy endings exist :)

Last edited:

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
rumour is that SQ:42 is coming out for consoles now
Wait is that a problem? Makes sense to me since everyone who was gonna buy the PC version has probably already pledged and owns SQ:42. Or is it hard to believe since console releases actually require at least a bit of QA? As long as CIG doesn't run out of funds by 2020/2021 SQ:42 should be released as I have to believe CR's ego won't let his last shot end in failure. I think in his mind any sort of release of SQ:42 will validate him.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Reading the Venture Beat article I find myself a bit amused and a bit confused. The line

We’ve also set it up in a way that, if we’re seeing a drop-off, we’d scale back our development ambition.

Seems to me that they'll keep this ongoing selling jpegs and not releasing a product until people stop buying. Then maybe they'll release it? He makes a comment in the same area about how they've plans to change the way they do things if the funding starts slowing up so I don't think they'll be in a place where they can't finish something. Of course, I do scratch my head on why they don't release a game and then continue to sell the jpegs as DLC. Seems that would at the very least shut up the nay sayers.

One thing I really get confused with is if you're not releasing SQ42 until at least 2020, why take on funding to advertise it now? He says that he's able to spend the money however we wants within the company, so maybe it'll be used elsewhere. I do believe that they're pulling in enough from the jpegs that they could fund their dev stuff, but outside of that.. is that Crytek lawsuit still going on?

rumour is that SQ:42 is coming out for consoles now

Hasn't that always been a rumor? I seem to remember a lot of people saying they were concerned the whole thing would be dumbed down from the PC only game to work on consoles. Having said that, they would be leaving a lot of money on the table if they ignored consoles. SQ42 seems to be the best product to export to them... of course I really hope they release it on the PC and then port it over. Otherwise I think there will be pitch forks in the streets..

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...00-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/amp/

Forbes spoke to 20 people who used to work for Cloud Imperium, many of whom depict Roberts as a micromanager and poor steward of resources. They describe the work environment as chaotic.

“As the money rolled in, what I consider to be some of [Roberts’] old bad habits popped up—not being super-focused,” says Mark Day, a producer on Wing Commander IV who runs a company that was contracted to do work on Star Citizen in 2013 and 2014. “It had got out of hand, in my opinion. The promises being made—call it feature creep, call it whatever it is—now we can do this, now we can do that. I was shocked.”

i'm not really shocked

By Forbes’ count, Cloud Imperium has sold 135 different spaceship models for as much as $3,000 apiece

lol

Last edited: