Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ISQLq54.png

Welp..

That right there proves beyond all doubt its a scam.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
That right there proves beyond all doubt its a scam.
Or it could prove that the project is taking a lot longer than expected so people are getting anxious and are starting to demand their money back. Unfortunately that is not how crowdfunded projects work. Sometimes they are a bust and any fool willing to impart $4500 of his hard earned money on one has to learn to live with the consequences of that decision.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Or it could prove that the project is taking a lot longer than expected so people are getting anxious and are starting to demand their money back. Unfortunately that is not how crowdfunded projects work. Sometimes they are a bust and any fool willing to impart $4500 of his hard earned money on one has to learn to live with the consequences of that decision.

If he was a regular guy sure id agree, but read the story. They have since they took his money changed the game into something he can no longer play, it is in no way his fault that they screwed the game up so bad since original kickstarter that its no longer the same game.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
If he was a regular guy sure id agree, but read the story. They have since they took his money changed the game into something he can no longer play, it is in no way his fault that they screwed the game up so bad since original kickstarter that its no longer the same game.

How can he no longer play it? I'm not understanding the reasoning here?

Key among those changes was a new direction for spin-off shooter Squadron 42, which removed a planned multiplayer co-op mode and added required first-person portions to the game. Lord, who has multiple sclerosis, said this now means "my money’s stuck in a game I can’t possibly play."

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
How can he no longer play it? I'm not understanding the reasoning here?

I'm guessing it's something to do with his Multiple Sclerosis. But the guy made 61 transactions over a period of many years which means he had 61 opportunities to read the terms of service and understand the limitations of entering into that transaction. But he kept doing it.

Reactions: TechBoyJK

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
It really is a sad tale.

But Roberts got drunk on crowdfunding power. And here we are. I feel for you all that haven't gotten a refund.

He's single-handily destroyed most hope that quality triple AAA games can be made through crowd-sourcing as opposed to big publishers that turn gold into crap. EA et al must very happy about all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
According to Dr. Smart another final death knell was just delt to Star Citizen :

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1029687504205688832.html

I'm not buying it though. I think CRoberts still has a few tricks left up his sleeves.

This is normal and good for development of a video game...

For those not in the know crytek built cigs initial sizzle reel with the understanding cig would use crytek as the engine for the game. When cig switched engines this was in violation of the contract. They also gave them rights to make 1 game and they did that split thing into 2 games a couple years ago to squeeze more money. I dont want to argue with anyone over is this right or wrong. It will have its day in court and those more experienced at arguing these things will do so.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This is internal stuff from our (us eval goons) plant in the company...

Right now the current standing on the Crytek lawsuit is being viewed as a small victory internally. Obviously its not great but it could have been so much worse. Most of the resources and effort is now focused on sq42. There is a game there and it looks fantastic ......but its about as much fun as having root canal surgery and it plays like shit. 2020 is the new internal deadline and if it gets missed then even Chris has conceded that its all over. I have no doubt that various internet warlords will say this is horse shit and CIG have a matter of days left and all the money is gone and everyone's going to prison etc but the fact is , something is getting released come hell or high water and it will be spectacularly rubbish.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
This is internal stuff from our (us eval goons) plant in the company...
See, that's much closer to the outcome I've been anticipating. They just had to have planets...

Problem is a flop of a SQ42 release will grant no additional runway. The backer hardcore fans all already paid for it and only hardcore genre fans will purchase a flop. There's additional revenue opportunity on a botched SP game. If there is some degree of vaguely complete MP game that has mechanics moderately fleshed out even if it's only a couple solar systems and it's somewhat fun, I could see enough people rationalizing through it just enough to keep things going. But even then, I don't have a grasp on their recurring revenue model so you're probably looking at massive team cuts that mean they might not ever dig out of the hole.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
See, that's much closer to the outcome I've been anticipating. They just had to have planets...

Problem is a flop of a SQ42 release will grant no additional runway. The backer hardcore fans all already paid for it and only hardcore genre fans will purchase a flop. There's additional revenue opportunity on a botched SP game. If there is some degree of vaguely complete MP game that has mechanics moderately fleshed out even if it's only a couple solar systems and it's somewhat fun, I could see enough people rationalizing through it just enough to keep things going. But even then, I don't have a grasp on their recurring revenue model so you're probably looking at massive team cuts that mean they might not ever dig out of the hole.

everyone who cares has already bought it. The only thing they could do is push it onto the ps4 xbone for $40 and pull some additional revenue. The issue is the game barely runs and wont pass any kind of testing on those systems. The game isnt fun. so that right there tells you it wont sell.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Funny thing was it was leaked that SQ42 would end up at the end of 2017 and this was when it is early 2016. I chuckled, couldn't believe it. So many years (5-6) in development, so many mocap sessions, A-list actors, etc. you would think they could push out a turd for Episode 1. But alas, last week Roberts says "not my fault".

How in the hell do you piss away nearly $190 million dollars.

Sorry for the dumb question but I haven't really been following this. How exactly did they get a hold of 190 million dollars?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Sorry for the dumb question but I haven't really been following this. How exactly did they get a hold of 190 million dollars?

Every time someone asked if a thing was gonna be in the game they said yes. Dummies thought it was gonna be the second coming.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well if you have that much money to waste they probably would have just spent it on something else equally inane.

No. Not really. Some were hiding the spending from their families. Buying jpegs became a sick release for some and others cheered them on.