Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think this is the game.
LMAO! That's bloody brilliant. In fact, it's so brilliant it makes me wonder if you are correct . . .

For me, I have no idea which side is telling the truth, it's the amount in question that is truly shocking. I am truly amazed that even Star Citizen HAS packages that are $15,000. Guess that makes the decision for me - if they ever do produce an actual game, not much point in me buying a $100 game and competing with people and/or clans who invested $15,000. Surely their stolen JPEGs would easily sweep mine from the cold dark.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LMAO! That's bloody brilliant. In fact, it's so brilliant it makes me wonder if you are correct . . .

For me, I have no idea which side is telling the truth, it's the amount in question that is truly shocking. I am truly amazed that even Star Citizen HAS packages that are $15,000. Guess that makes the decision for me - if they ever do produce an actual game, not much point in me buying a $100 game and competing with people and/or clans who invested $15,000. Surely their stolen JPEGs would easily sweep mine from the cold dark.

yeah, you can't compete with $15,000 jpegs. I never thought about it that way.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
That $45000 refund turned out to be a hoax.
said one side of that story, though i tend to believe them. It would be easy to prove, but it was all just talk on both sides, at least one showed some screen caps (doctored or not). If it was true it would be a huge publicity blow, but I agree, i don't think it is, and telling a LIE about would be as bad a publicity blow. But with that kind of money it would be simple to say "Here is your money, keep your mouth shut and get it, or fight us and not get it". Problem is its just a game, not some government cover up, they are showing content, and its all pretty impressive, if quite often very rough. If this is just a reason to take the money and run, why waste so much of it doing actual work. I guess they could all work for 3-5 years and get paid and that is not a bad plan. I think its pretty much as many have speculated ( on both sides) its ending up being bigger and taking longer then expected. I dont think there is a plan to take the money and Run But DS ranting may have a few nuggets of truth, i think its getting massively into feature creep and the man at top is not saying STOP! its just a game, time will tell.

Reactions: TechBoyJK

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That $45000 refund turned out to be a hoax.
I know Star Citizen has claimed that, and it may well be true. It would be seriously easy for a halfway competent programmer to fake screen shots to make such a hoax. Regardless, the thing that shocked me still stands - that Star Citizen is not saying "Holy crap, we don't have any $15,000 packages!" Ergo they DO have $15,000 packages, which I find completely incredible. My wife is pretty copacetic with me spending money on video games or guitars I can't play, but the day that bill came through she would literally beat me to death with my gaming PC. And I wouldn't blame her.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
October 18, 2012: Star Citizen Kickstarter launches

October 30, 2012: Disney announces the deal to purchase Lucasfilm.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It goes to show if you rush a product to market before it is ready the product is lack luster or a rehash of an old idea. While it might look good at first that maybe with more time in production it could have been better. Instead of releasing three films in a short succession for the cash.
Is that what you are beating around the bush at?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It goes to show if you rush a product to market before it is ready the product is lack luster or a rehash of an old idea. While it might look good at first that maybe with more time in production it could have been better. Instead of releasing three films in a short succession for the cash.
Is that what you are beating around the bush at?

so you think they are taking a long time because they are making an amazing game? I always thought they were taking a long time because it doesn't work and is broken horribly.

What game design in star citizen are you excited about?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
October 18, 2012: Star Citizen Kickstarter launches

October 30, 2012: Disney announces the deal to purchase Lucasfilm.

Lets see if someone else can figure it out ;)

so you think they are taking a long time because they are making an amazing game? I always thought they were taking a long time because it doesn't work and is broken horribly.

What game design in star citizen are you excited about?

I don't know man. I was just trying to guess the answer to your first statement. You're being ridiculously vague so I took my best guess and tried to figure out the answer.
Is there a point you are trying to get across? If there is just spit it out and be done with it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I don't know man. I was just trying to guess the answer to your first statement. You're being ridiculously vague so I took my best guess and tried to figure out the answer.
Is there a point you are trying to get across? If there is just spit it out and be done with it.

Sounded to me like you thought an amazing game was being made. I guess I was wrong.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sounded to me like you thought an amazing game was being made. I guess I was wrong.
I agree that the available evidence argues otherwise, but wouldn't it be great if an amazing game really is being made? Personally I cannot even imagine a game so wondrous that it satisfies someone who bought a $15,000 package, but if a real game is released, and it does satisfy the whales, it would have to be pretty awesome.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
*shrug* I guess everyone here would have been complaining the same way about GTAV (and they didn't have to hire a complete team/company from stractch)....

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
*shrug* I guess everyone here would have been complaining the same way about GTAV (and they didn't have to hire a complete team/company from stractch)....

GTA 5 began development in 2009 and had console releases in 2013. Star cititizen is 5 years into development and the gameplay is broken.

Your dumb excuse is stale.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So you are comparing a game that was in development for 4 years, and is out now and has been for 5 years. To a game thats been in development for 5 years, and doesnt even have a full alpha build out? And likely wont see a full release for several years? You sure drank the SC Kool Aid.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't think it's completely fair to compare Star Citizen to GTAV. As Kell points out, Roberts started from scratch building a studio and ultimately four studios. And Star Citizen is inarguably far more ambitious in scope and innovation than is any GTA title. I too am very dubious about anything remotely worthy of the invested time and money ever appearing, but Roberts' initial promises notwithstanding, I don't think such a game could possibly be crafted in less than seven or eight years. It's worth noting though that there is a law of diminishing returns. Games that take much more than four or five years begin to have an exponentially greater chance of suckage, especially in graphics, because other games' development and continuing tech development tend to outpace what has already been done. We saw that in Duke Nukem Forever, where the inability to get the game out the door led to the game being outdated before release which led to further development which caused further delay which caused it to become even more dated . . . Some games it isn't that big a deal, but I would think with a space exploration game, especially one promising to capture and use player facial expressions and selling very intricate (and very expensive!) ship models, would need cutting edge graphics to deliver the promised features.

However, my own disbelief isn't so much the time frame as the continuously broken promises (no excuse for that three or four years into development) and even more, the continuous use of stolen JPEGs - especially coupled with the aggressive and continuing sale of assets for a game that shows no sign of showing up any time soon. No game should be using stolen JPEGs as advertisements/tech displays, but certainly not one this far into development and with over a hundred million in development capital.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So you are comparing a game that was in development for 4 years, and is out now and has been for 5 years. To a game thats been in development for 5 years, and doesnt even have a full alpha build out? And likely wont see a full release for several years? You sure drank the SC Kool Aid.
I'm comparing a game that took almost 5 years to develop and release with a team that had 1000 people from an existing studio which already had the personal on staff to a game that is now in hitting it's 5th year from when it received funding to hire a staff and build a studio to create the game...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm comparing a game that took almost 5 years to develop and release with a team that had 1000 people from an existing studio which already had the personal on staff to a game that is now in hitting it's 5th year from when it received funding to hire a staff and build a studio to create the game...
Agreed. Still the law of diminishing returns though. If it takes eight years to finish, then the first work done is eight years out of date. Very difficult to do bleeding edge games; almost impossible over the course of a decade or so. It's also worth remembering that NO ONE has a studio with even a hundred people sitting around waiting for something to do. I agree it's much easier to start a new project with an existing studio, but it's not like flicking on a light switch.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Preliminary work on Grand Theft Auto V began after Grand Theft Auto IV's release in April 2008;[1] full development lasted approximately three years.[2] Rockstar North's core 360-person team co-opted studios around the world owned by parent company Rockstar Games to facilitate development between a full team of over 1,000.[3]

Full development was 3 years. The difference is Rockstar is run by professionals, whereas CIG is run by a man baby who got thrown out of the gaming and movie industries.

How dumb do you have to be to still think that this isn't an extraordinary screw up? I've got a jpeg of a bridge I want to sell ya