Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Full development was 3 years. The difference is Rockstar is run by professionals, whereas CIG is run by a man baby who got thrown out of the gaming and movie industries.

How dumb do you have to be to still think that this isn't an extraordinary screw up? I've got a jpeg of a bridge I want to sell ya
With the amount of capital Roberts has attracted, he could have many extraordinary screw ups and still deliver a decent game. At the very least, it's finally in alpha release (albeit years after it was previously claimed to be in alpha release) so we do know that Roberts does intend to release a game. He may yet crash and burn a la Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever, of course, or even never make it out of Early Access stage like so many other games today. But at least now he appears to be operating in good faith. Previously, I wasn't even sure of that.

I was half convinced that Zinfamous was right - this seemingly endless cycle of showing stolen artwork and selling JPEG ships WAS the game, or at least Roberts' end product. Now we see that Roberts is making at least some progress toward having a finished game.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Many many many projects with the amount of capital roberts has allegedly received have failed. A bad project manager (even one with good faith intentions) can make a project of any size fail. The money argument is straight up ignorant and foolish.

The game is still a broken mess and "3.0" is nowhere near what was promised last year.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
With the amount of capital Roberts has attracted, he could have many extraordinary screw ups and still deliver a decent game. At the very least, it's finally in alpha release (albeit years after it was previously claimed to be in alpha release) so we do know that Roberts does intend to release a game. He may yet crash and burn a la Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever, of course, or even never make it out of Early Access stage like so many other games today. But at least now he appears to be operating in good faith. Previously, I wasn't even sure of that.

I was half convinced that Zinfamous was right - this seemingly endless cycle of showing stolen artwork and selling JPEG ships WAS the game, or at least Roberts' end product. Now we see that Roberts is making at least some progress toward having a finished game.

CIG is supposed to be making TWO games. We've seen no evidence of progress on the single player game, Squadron 42, in well over a year now. Supposedly evidences is coming at Citizencon in a few weeks.

Reactions: preslove

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
What have those 400+ well paid CIG employees and the other many contractors done in the last year? This game was better and more fun when I bought it. I see regress, not progress.

I also see a hostile attitude from CIG representatives on the official forums towards any form of criticism.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
CIG is supposed to be making TWO games. We've seen no evidence of progress on the single player game, Squadron 42, in well over a year now. Supposedly evidences is coming at Citizencon in a few weeks.

They've promised more than two games, with all the different meta/minigames. Remember the whole thing about working as a bartender? This project didn't suffer from feature creep, it had feature sprint. How much $ was wasted on some idiotic drink mixing mechanic?

Game looks more impressive each time I see it.

Demos done by employees don't count. Independent, non-fanboys are still showing constant game breaking bugs. The core mechanics are fubar

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
What have those 400+ well paid CIG employees and the other many contractors done in the last year? This game was better and more fun when I bought it. I see regress, not progress.

I also see a hostile attitude from CIG representatives on the official forums towards any form of criticism.

WTF are you talking about? They gave us Pooping!!!!! In Space!!!!!! Never before has any game ever thought up pooping let alone made it playable part of it. Forget using time to fix bugs and create a releasable product.. you need to add features no one has ever thought possible enough to ask for! Every game will now have a feature where you have to poop... then it'll be peeing. Man... I live for the day where my game is so immersive that I spend more time on build it's life than I do my own. Forget buying a home in real life where I can sleep in peace, I can put my effort into getting one in the game.. so I can poop and pee.. This is a new golden age of body functions in video games.. that my friend is what those "400+ well paid CIG employees and the other many contractors" have done in this last year!

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
WTF are you talking about? They gave us Pooping!!!!! In Space!!!!!! Never before has any game ever thought up pooping let alone made it playable part of it. Forget using time to fix bugs and create a releasable product.. you need to add features no one has ever thought possible enough to ask for! Every game will now have a feature where you have to poop... then it'll be peeing. Man... I live for the day where my game is so immersive that I spend more time on build it's life than I do my own. Forget buying a home in real life where I can sleep in peace, I can put my effort into getting one in the game.. so I can poop and pee.. This is a new golden age of body functions in video games.. that my friend is what those "400+ well paid CIG employees and the other many contractors" have done in this last year!

I've always thought to myself, tie fighter would have been improved so much if you could moonlight as a bartender and then take a big ol' dump before going out into space. Pure immersion

Reactions: Dannar26 and Skel

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Full development was 3 years. The difference is Rockstar is run by professionals, whereas CIG is run by a man baby who got thrown out of the gaming and movie industries.

How dumb do you have to be to still think that this isn't an extraordinary screw up? I've got a jpeg of a bridge I want to sell ya

And your quotes just made my point. Even at 3 years full development, GTAV was a work that took 3000 man years to complete (1000 people 3 years full development). By end of 2013 SC had 200 people working on it for 1 year. By end of 2014 it was around 280 people. We are currently at approx 400 now. Even assuming by end of 2015 it was at the 400 people value (which I don't believe is true), the game has approx 1500-1700 man years of work done on it....

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They have begun refusing refunds. A desperate move to be sure. One guy is in for 13k and is lawyering up. a few others rejected as well. If citizencon doesnt bring in the cake they are more fucked.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Isn't that an issue of contention in itself? I thought it was originally all one game, then was split into two games after many people had contributed to it. Thus your contribution would get you one game, but you'd still have to buy the other part.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Next in line will be your character sleeping - in real time! Never before has a game been this immersive!

Reactions: Skel

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We are definitely getting close to the end. When a pyramid scheme can no longer maintain itself it wont be long for it to fall apart.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Only a month ago they were saying this about refunds:

They have to issue refunds. They have been selling digital goods to people and not delivering. So most people have consumer protections. Well americans dont because freedumb but the rest of the world does. They are going to get into a thousand minor legal battles over this. lol.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
They have begun refusing refunds. A desperate move to be sure. One guy is in for 13k and is lawyering up. a few others rejected as well. If citizencon doesnt bring in the cake they are more fucked.

Why do you rarely (if ever) post links to what you claim? Some of us are really lazy and don't wish to look through a bunch of FUD (from both sides) to find what you're on about.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Why do you rarely (if ever) post links to what you claim? Some of us are really lazy and don't wish to look through a bunch of FUD (from both sides) to find what you're on about.

Half the time I post links I get a mod warning because certain whales here are hovering over the report button as they hate I tell the truth about the shitizen.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Isn't that an issue of contention in itself? I thought it was originally all one game, then was split into two games after many people had contributed to it. Thus your contribution would get you one game, but you'd still have to buy the other part.

No. From the beginning CIG said that it would be creating two games (Squadron 42 and Star Citizen) and that at some point in time, the products would no longer be bundled together in their pledge store. On February 15th, 2016, a basic starter package for Star Citizen no longer included Squadron 42. SQ42 is currently a $15 add-on.

This was all part of the plan. And this is a rare example of CIG getting it right. They communicated the plan well in advance, and then executed the plan they communicated.

Reactions: TechBoyJK

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Half the time I post links I get a mod warning because certain whales here are hovering over the report button as they hate I tell the truth about the shitizen.

While I know you've gotten warnings about posting pictures, I have a hard time seeing how one could get in trouble for posting links to a source to back up the claim being made. It anything you'd already have an issue with the mods for just saying it if this place was that strict.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
The mods aren’t the problem. I never said that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/

Fair enough.. though I'm not sure how I'm supposed to think otherwise when you post...

Even looking at the reddit starcitizen_refunds area, I'm not seeing anyone being in for 13k, let alone someone being in for that much who is lawyering up. In the future please provide better links. It's the same standard everyone holds everyone else to here, so I see no reason it can't be the same here.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Weird.. it looks like this part is cut out of my post.. not sure if anyone else can see it but I did add this

Fair enough.. though I'm not sure how I'm supposed to think otherwise when you post...

[QUOTE="JSt0rm, post: 39123001, member: 28989"Half the time I post links I get a mod warningbecause certain whales here are hovering over the report button as they hate I tell the truth about the shitizen.[/QUOTE]

While I've no doubt you get reported for posting crap in here, I'm not sure the effects upon posting a link to back up a claim you've made.. like this one that started this whole mess..

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

what you are trying to do right now is make it seem I was doing a mod call out to try and get me probated for it. You are putting words in my mouth with malicious intent.