Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Cig is lying about only giving 1 refund during any time period. 1 refund of 350? They are caught in a lie right there.

The guy who said he got the refund posted 5 screen shots and video of himself clicking around the site to his refund. I.e. As much proof as your gonna get.

You are just stuck in your sunk cost galaxy.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Cig is lying about only giving 1 refund during any time period. 1 refund of 350? They are caught in a lie right there.

The guy who said he got the refund posted 5 screen shots and video of himself clicking around the site to his refund. I.e. As much proof as your gonna get.

You are just stuck in your sunk cost galaxy.

[Update: Cloud Imperium spokesperson Dave Swofford tells Ars that "a lot of the information was fabricated" in the Reddit post discussed the below. Swofford says the account in question was issued an individual refund of $330, not the $45,000 claimed in posted screenshots and videos which Swofford says do not reflect actual complaints requests logged by the company. What's more, Swofford says the refund was handled "in a timely fashion" with "no extended debate over whether we should."

LOL. ELE!!!!!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I don't know if the guy was lying (though I'm not sure the motives work as well as some people think they do) but I do have to question why the game dev is adding pooping... Out of all the things I play video games for, stopping my mission to take a crap has never once been on my list of wants..

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know if the guy was lying (though I'm not sure the motives work as well as some people think they do) but I do have to question why the game dev is adding pooping... Out of all the things I play video games for, stopping my mission to take a crap has never once been on my list of wants..
Haha that's funny. I'm in the same boat as you. Never once have I wanted to take a deuce in a game. We will see if it actually makes the game as a functioning mechanic.

As for the refund story. Who knows if the guy on Reddit was telling the truth or just faking it all. One more stop on the Star Citizen drama train.haha

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
[Update: Cloud Imperium spokesperson Dave Swofford tells Ars that "a lot of the information was fabricated" in the Reddit post discussed the below. Swofford says the account in question was issued an individual refund of $330, not the $45,000 claimed in posted screenshots and videos which Swofford says do not reflect actual complaints requests logged by the company. What's more, Swofford says the refund was handled "in a timely fashion" with "no extended debate over whether we should."

LOL. ELE!!!!!

Well that clears everything up. If you trust cig.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
considering it was multiple people that owned the account that was given the $45,000 refund to, CIS most likely isn't lying if they said a backer received $350 refund..

Reactions: TechBoyJK

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think this is the game.

Ortwin is sitting in pre-trial Space Court waiting for the anonymous refundee show up. Suddenly music starts playing. A janitor stands up and shouts, "BAH GAWD THAT'S DEREK SMART'S MUSIC" as the doors burst open. Derek walks in with a stack of papers. He slams them on the table and says one word, "Discovery." Ortwin hisses loudly before turning into a hundred small bats and escaping into the darkness.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
big refunds do happen...

mKNejwb.jpg

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
So they removed the dates from the schedule report and made us follow the progress of that stupid burndown bug list for 6 weeks or so. And now they just removed an unspecified number of bugs (up to 50) from it. Not by fixing those bugs. But by not counting all of them any longer. That is infuriating.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So they removed the dates from the schedule report and made us follow the progress of that stupid burndown bug list for 6 weeks or so. And now they just removed an unspecified number of bugs (up to 50) from it. Not by fixing those bugs. But by not counting all of them any longer. That is infuriating.

You just dont know anything about video game development. This is all good.

Reactions: Rifter

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
They published the new schedule report.

The blocker bugs actually went up from 10 to 11.

Two weeks ago they had 9 blocker bugs and another week before that 7. I can see a trend.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They published the new schedule report.

The blocker bugs actually went up from 10 to 11.

Two weeks ago they had 9 blocker bugs and another week before that 7. I can see a trend.

The game is broken. They picked the wrong engine from the get and thoguht they could brute force it. They also made a ton of amateur mistakes - like having multiple versions of the code being worked on that stopped working when it all got merged together.

Sunk costs - get out now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is all totally normal. I'm glad I don't have even fi dolla invested in this.

Must really suck for those with 10, 50, hundreds..thousands of bucks riding on this game. Lol--man, those folks are probably hurting.

sucks, though. but, you know: when you agree to pay people to give you a product years in advance, with slim to no legal repercussions, there you go. No one likes to admit they've been scammed, but there will be a tsunami of butthurt propagating from this disaster.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This is all totally normal. I'm glad I don't have even fi dolla invested in this.

Must really suck for those with 10, 50, hundreds..thousands of bucks riding on this game. Lol--man, those folks are probably hurting.

sucks, though. but, you know: when you agree to pay people to give you a product years in advance, with slim to no legal repercussions, there you go. No one likes to admit they've been scammed, but there will be a tsunami of butthurt propagating from this disaster.

Well people are able to get refunds. Thats the point. The smart money got out by selling gray market ships. Now the average man can at least get their money back. The dummies are those who bought gray market ships thinking they would be worth more later on and those who just hold their cards and pray. They will both get burned badly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well people are able to get refunds. Thats the point. The smart money got out by selling gray market ships. Now the average man can at least get their money back. The dummies are those who bought gray market ships thinking they would be worth more later on and those who just hold their cards and pray. They will both get burned badly.

oh...people invested in *(*%&^ing digital nothing content (skins) in a game that doesn't exist, hoping it will exist some undisclosed numbers of years later and that they will then profit, massively, off of said digital non-anything content?

well, LoL at them. But I guess it's pretty easy to tell who did that simply by their online allegiance with this game.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
and cig knowingly fed that craze because they made big money from it. The people that are fighting the hardest for this project have real financial interests in it succeeding. Greed blinded them.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What happens if you don't go poop for one week?
Instead of a "red out" during high G maneuvers, you suffer a "brown out", which then coats all of your clothes and equipment (including view screen), decreasing your visibility as well as increasing your nausea which decreases your ability to handle high G's until you spend the time to clean-up the mess.

Also, there is another group of people out there. The smart ones who sold ships making back any money they had invested into the game and still have their own ships ready to play if the game does get created....

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Maybe it's a golf swing mechanic like the scanning. Hold down the button just until it hits the line. If you go over you shit your pants.