Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I honestly don't know if they can deliver or not.. I really hope they do as there are a lot of people that put in money for it. If Roberts does say "I gave it my best shot but it didn't work out" that'll have ripple effects on not just the people that put in but for future kickstarted projects. I hate to see people screwed over (which hasn't happened yet) and while yes they did put money into the project knowing there's a risk, it still blows for them. Having said that, I do think the fall out would be interesting to see.
Agreed. Honestly, at this point I don't see him not putting out something, although I have my doubts it will in any way resemble what he has promised. I have no clue whether it will be something that will satisfy the whales - even if I better understood game development, that mindset is utterly foreign to me. But an awful lot of people seem to enjoy playing with what they have to date, which is basically nothing near a game much less a triple A game. That makes me believe that a lot of people will enjoy whatever he finally puts out, even if they are very disappointed that it falls so far below its aim. However, I very much doubt his company survives this. I'm going to be shocked if enough of a market exists (beyond those who are already promised a game for their contributions) to generate enough in sales to support his vastly expanded company. Even if he lays off two thirds and follows this with a game of greatly reduced scope, he'd need to generate tens of millions in profit to make payroll even for two years.

Then again, it's kind of ludicrous for me to second guess the business acumen of a man who's raised a couple hundred million selling promises and JPEGs - some of which he doesn't even legally own. :D

Reactions: TechBoyJK

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The roughest part about this is, most people work for their money (work = profit later), CIG got a quarter billion dollars on the promise of work to be done, but there's no true requirement for them to do the work. Steam is littered with the carcasses of a hundred 'sandbox/Minecraft clone/Next Best Thing(tm)' that got pumped up by cash in EA then dropped in the end. CIG's just on a bigger scale.
I think just the pure scale of money involved will force an investigation, if not prosecutions, if he doesn't deliver something.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Then again, it's kind of ludicrous for me to second guess the business acumen of a man who's raised a couple hundred million selling promises and JPEGs - some of which he doesn't even legally own. :D

Go look at his imdb and the string of film losses. He is blacklisted from that industry. That was around the time he decided to come back to vg. He doesnt even want to make a vg. Look at that giant script and stack of a listers he has for his epic scifi adventure game.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
they spent 45k on one video game. Nobody complain about micro transactions ever again because companies see this retardation and they will milk it.

Reactions: maevinj

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Im honestly having a hard time believing how someone could have 45k invested in this waiting this long for a refund.

5 weeks isnt bad. Cig has to give refunds before some date for any purchase. At some point there will be a run on the bank and then we will see big big fireworks.

Reactions: Rifter

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
5 weeks isnt bad. Cig has to give refunds before some date for any purchase. At some point there will be a run on the bank and then we will see big big fireworks.

I mean waiting this long from the start of this whole mess not the 5 weeks it took them to get the refund lol.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
At first they tried to not give refunds but then all the consumer protection laws came and bit them in the ass. Not so much in the united states. We dont really have consumer protections here because freedumb but in other countries they have to so I think they now have to for everyone.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
This was an interesting read....and they are still giving refunds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...just_refunded_3_completionist_packages_for_a/

$45,000 refunded

In the link the guy mentioned "The final straw was evidence presented the committee of Chris Roberts blatantly lying, we don't mind the delays but couldn't handle the lies anymore, and it left us wondering what else he is knowingly lying about". Anyone know what he's referring to? I might be a bit behind in this soap opera so I don't recall any blatant lies past the dates which everyone expected things..

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
And the FUD campaign continues. $350, not $45,000.

Not surprising really that the usual suspects here were right on time to promote this FUD :) Then again, seeing the posting history, not just here but across multiple forums/sites, it's not really surprising.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Weird, it seems he's deleted his account. Could it maybe, possibly be due to it being fake and part of the ongoing SA/DS FUD campaign? LOL
Could be, or maybe he was harassed by the 'true believers' and deleted the account, i dunno.....peoples panties are in a twist though

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Weird, it seems he's deleted his account. Could it maybe, possibly be due to it being fake and part of the ongoing SA/DS FUD campaign? LOL

The guy had a video of him clicking on everything on the cig site. Im sure he was harassed by the true believers.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And the FUD campaign continues. $350, not $45,000.

Not surprising really that the usual suspects here were right on time to promote this FUD :) Then again, seeing the posting history, not just here but across multiple forums/sites, it's not really surprising.

You do realize this proves nothing right, this just looks like them trying to save face and downplay it.

They offer zero evidence to back up their claims, while the other guy has both screenshots and video to back up his side.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
You do realize this proves nothing right, this just looks like them trying to save face and downplay it.

They offer zero evidence to back up their claims, while the other guy has both screenshots and video to back up his side.

LOL mkay. Magical $45k refund from an unknown source who has deleted his account after being called out and confirmed by the company itself.

Better luck next time guys.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL mkay. Magical $45k refund from an unknown source who has deleted his account after being called out and confirmed by the company itself.

Better luck next time guys.

I'm missing the actual "confirmed by the company" part. perhaps you can point us to where that happened?

The beliebers seem to be going after these folks, hard.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I already linked it above.

which is why I asked, because nothing in that link "confirms that the customers were lying"

it is only Chris Roberts group saying so. That confirms nothing. The article only confirms "Chris Roberts actually did say this." There is no confirmation of their claim. There is only confirmation, so far, variously linked over and over again, of the user showing their refund.

Ball's in the beliebers' court. ...but I just don't get it--why is it so incredibly important to cling to this thing? Does it really make a difference to you--are you that heavily in the hole with this 3-card monty scam?

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
which is why I asked, because nothing in that link "confirms that the customers were lying"

it is only Chris Roberts group saying so. That confirms nothing. The article only confirms "Chris Roberts actually did say this." There is no confirmation of their claim. There is only confirmation, so far, variously linked over and over again, of the user showing their refund.

Ball's in the beliebers' court. ...but I just don't get it--why is it so incredibly important to cling to this thing? Does it really make a difference to you--are you that heavily in the hole with this 3-card monty scam?

LOL Zin, it was the usual crew rushing in here posting random, unverified FUD from the Something Awful sub as "proof" of the dire straits the project is somehow in. There's no clinging. There was never a ball in the FUD campaign's court to start with.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think the only thing we know for sure is that there's whackadoos who would fake a huge refund to discredit RSI and whackadoos who would doctor a real large refund to downplay it. What actually happened? Who knows. Oh Star Citizen, never change.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think the only thing we know for sure is that there's whackadoos who would fake a huge refund to discredit RSI and whackadoos who would doctor a real large refund to downplay it. What actually happened? Who knows. Oh Star Citizen, never change.

I think the only thing we know for sure is that there's RSI who would fake not giving a huge refund to discredit the person getting the refund and whackadoos who would attack someone who got a real large refund to downplay it. What actually happened? Who knows. Oh Star Citizen, never change.

Hmmm.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I know cig is lying because they said they only gave 1 refund. Lol. The refunds have been a lot. Multiple people. Many. Them saying they only have 1 is trying to make sure there isn't a run on the bank.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I know cig is lying because they said they only gave 1 refund. Lol. The refunds have been a lot. Multiple people. Many. Them saying they only have 1 is trying to make sure there isn't a run on the bank.

Gotcha. CIG is lying about the magical "$45,000" refund that was totes legit, promise, like for realsies this time. We need to believe the random reddit user who deleted his reddit account after being called out on it and even the SA refunds sub has now called fake.

Thanks for clearing that up! In other news, here's a shovel J :lol: