Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Yes.

If you couldn't tell,

oh i can tell, i made a few comments in the original thread a while ago and i believe techboy accused me of literally being derek smart. unfortunately the scam is so clear to me that i didnt even care to find out who derek smart was, only just found out last week when i read the last few pages of this thread lol. this entire saga, while interesting, is just too TLDR for me. I think ill wait for the movie to come out.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
wow, this is still going? and we had to make a seperate thread for this? AND the thread is like 44 pages long? lol!
Well, it's very interesting. Is it the world's biggest scam? Is it an honest trainwreck? Is it a plan to keep developing the same video game for the rest of his life, like Robert Jordan's books? Or is it the greatest video game in history unfolding? At this point no one really knows. And we have people paying literally thousands of dollars for ships (oftimes several multi-thousand dollar ships in a package) for a game that doesn't exist and might not ever exist. Are they fools? Are they visionaries? At the very least, it's interesting that someone can put forth a vision so attractive that other people will do such nominally stupid things as pay three thousand dollars for a spaceship that exists solely in a game that may in fact never release. Surely you have to at least wonder if they can see something you cannot?

Frankly, I wish my world held something as magical as a video game ship I'd value at $3,000. (And no, I do not wish to buy anyone's ship.)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
First image is from a real place in New Zealand (Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound, New Zealand).

Second image is "from the game".
Seriously? Holy crap, and here I was thinking that Roberts had created the Holy Grail.

We have photorealistic graphics! (But only when showing an actual still photograph.)

but for only $250 you can own a jpg of those vehicles, that's a win right there.
lmao +1

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sounds like none of you know anything about game development.
Well . . . I know it's apparently a lot easier and a LOT more lucrative than I ever expected. :D

And on that note, I am creating a great new game, the best video game ever! You should all crowd fund me! It scales from ant size to galaxy size, and I can incorporate literally any environment you want in only twenty-four hours! Just send me a photograph of the environment, and I'll incorporate it into my game engine rendered in true photographic quality down to the smallest detail of the photo! Now, my game engine is far too advanced to remove anything from the environment. That would break realism (although I promise that feature is coming in version 3.0). But if you buy one of my ships (or cars, pogo-sticks, etc.) I can incorporate it into the environment over anything you don't wish to see. And the best part is instead of me designing ships (or cars, pogo-sticks, etc.) that you might not like, just send me a photograph of the ship (or car, pogo-stick, etc.) that you want and I'll incorporate that exact same ship (or car, pogo-stick, etc.) into my game engine in beautiful 3D*! For greatest satisfaction**, order one of my attractively priced value packs!

*Quality of 3D may vary with number and angle of photographs sent.

** Quality of satisfaction is absolutely guaranteed! However, selection of the satisfied party is at our discretion.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This game must have more funding than the canadian military at this point of time. I think everyone just needs to ignore it at this point.
Well . . . this game is a lot more ambitious than the Canadian military. :D

Although at the current rate, soon the Canadian military won't need all those planes and armor, because their snipers will be able to shoot you dead anywhere in the world without leaving Canada.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Is it a plan to keep developing the same video game for the rest of his life, like Robert Jordan's books?
To be fair, my favorite game of all time (Dwarf Fortress) has been in active development since 2002. 'Course, that game's developed by two people and funded by donations (not much different from SC, zing!)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
To be fair, my favorite game of all time (Dwarf Fortress) has been in active development since 2002. 'Course, that game's developed by two people and funded by donations (not much different from SC, zing!)

oh please. Totally different thing. Dwarf fortress is a well designed game with set reasonable goals. SC is a "look at all the dreams evil publishers have kept from you!" sales pitch unfounded in reality.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I mean you have whales theory crafting that npc's will have ai neural networks that will remember each individual player. They got to that place because Christ Roberts told them they could have everything.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
oh please. Totally different thing. Dwarf fortress is a well designed game with set reasonable goals. SC is a "look at all the dreams evil publishers have kept from you!" sales pitch unfounded in reality.
Heh, depending on who you ask, DF's goals are unrealistic since I don't know that Tarn/Zach have an actual '1.0' in mind (with a decade of development behind and ahead of them), but you're right otherwise. They're completely different animals with different design methods, intentions, and frankly, playability.

Man, got me wanting to play DF some more.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I mean you have whales theory crafting that npc's will have ai neural networks that will remember each individual player. They got to that place because Christ Roberts told them they could have everything.
It doesn't take much to have a like/dislike mechanic. Eve Online has that for NPCs.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It doesn't take much to have a like/dislike mechanic. Eve Online has that for NPCs.

That's not what they want or are talking about. they want literal relationships good and bad with dynamic thought from the npc. It's hilarious. And then we get a golf swing mechanic for scanning.

The difference between df and sc is df focuses on good game design and Sc focuses on demo vids and new space ships to sell.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Can anyone point out any actual development discussion in this thread? Even the first page is just opinions. This whole thread is just opinions....It's like a bitch fest thread for people. That's all this thread is.

Reactions: SLU Aequitas

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Can anyone point out any actual development discussion in this thread? Even the first page is just opinions. This whole thread is just opinions....It's like a bitch fest thread for people. That's all this thread is.

Sure, the actual thread to discuss the game's continual development and gameplay, graphics can be found here.

If you're interested in discussing the ravings of an obsessed never-was "doctor" or want to discuss whether in your expert opinion this project is a scam, this thread has you covered.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

This thread stands as a warning to people not to become a space whale and get suckered by a old game developer turned used car salesman turned has been game developer.

And a place to laugh at horrible stolen artwork and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_Prv2MOg0

Last edited:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Originally this thread seemed to be the place for the people that questioned the game and it's 'progress'. The other thread that SLU Aequitas points out here had a bad habit of attacking anyone that didn't think everything was awesome and this would be the greatest game ever. Sadly it devolved (probably really quickly) into a bitch thread and some members going out of their way to say it's a scam and show what they consider proof. There's possibly some truth to the game having issues and how this game continues to get funded without releasing on any schedule is really intersting to some like me. Unfortunately these kind of posts seem to get buried under a ton of FUD. In the end I think both threads exist because the really pro-game and the really anti-game people can't get along in the same thread.

Sure, the actual thread to discuss the game's continual development and gameplay, graphics can be found here.

If you're interested in discussing the ravings of an obsessed never-was "doctor" or want to discuss whether in your expert opinion this project is a scam, this thread has you covered.

Not sure who the never-was "doctor" was, I'm guessing DS, but not 100% sure. This thread has had sources more than just DS... some good some pure bullshit.

This thread stands as a warning to people not to become a space whale and get suckered by a old game developer turned used car salesman turned has been game developer.

And a place to laugh at horrible stolen artwork and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_Prv2MOg0

I thought the 'funny' pictures and such were banned from the thread as they did nothing but poke at the pro-game side..

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Not all pictures were "funny" when you consider they were using stolen art assets from around the globe. A lot of the pics I post show the blatant use of other people's work or total misrepresentation of the art. These pics have never been banned from this thread. Some people are just overly sensitive and report my jpegs. It makes sense I guess. Considering how much money they spend on jpegs and here I am just giving them away.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Holy crap, I hope that turns out to be a good game!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Not all pictures were "funny" when you consider they were using stolen art assets from around the globe. A lot of the pics I post show the blatant use of other people's work or total misrepresentation of the art. These pics have never been banned from this thread. Some people are just overly sensitive and report my jpegs. It makes sense I guess. Considering how much money they spend on jpegs and here I am just giving them away.
LMAO!

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Not sure who the never-was "doctor" was, I'm guessing DS, but not 100% sure.

It is a reference to DS. That flamewar started about 20 years ago now on usenet over him claiming to have a phd and others saying he didn't. Toss in drama over his cars, his ego and a poor allegedly abused coke machine and you had a very amusing meta game. There is much irony in DS being more sane now than CR.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
0KFRUPB.gif

they delayed the delayed delay of 3.0 even further?