Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
All these pointless gif's / images really get me tempted to press that nice Warning button i have...

Must resist....

However if i see more of these pointless things i will lose to temptation.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigo

Reactions: Skel

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I gave up on guessing when they will have things out (I don't even take their word for it until whatever the thing is hits the PTU (Public Test Universe, which is where major things are pushed first)).

As has been said, they have netcode issues which crop up after a certain number of players. A refactor has been in the works for a while, and is slated to be one of the key features of the next major alpha builds. We will see when we see.

I don't think it is something that can't be fixed at the moment. Even instancing players such that they reside in a smaller group that can be handled by the existing netcode would still create a good game (just not the massive battles people were hoping for). I hope they can get it to support at least 64 ships/players in an instance (more would be great, but as long as quickseamless transfer between instances can occur, 64 should be enough to work with).

I'm more pessimistic than you. I think there is a chance that Star Citizen won't be able to figure out the netcode issues and it is released as a VERY open world single player game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I haven't been following any of this closely, but this enterprise is starting to resemble John DeLorean's model for a cocaine-traffic--er, auto manufacturing business, but in game development skin.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Fake Derelict/Outpost:
SameDifferentKitfox.gif

Fake Landing with Fake Landing Gear:
UnimportantIdealisticAlaskajingle.gif

Fake Derelict Fakelancer on a Fake Planet:
FlashyBruisedElkhound.gif

Too much fake in this one:
FrigidZestyBighornsheep-size_restricted.gif

Fake Spaceship Reproduction Simulator Minigame:
DiscreteBlindFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

Super Fake Trailer:

Obviously this game is dead and shows no progress whatsoever. ELE. 90 days tops (for real this time). I know things. And furthermore.

Can't wait for Gamescom/Citizencon. I mean, I know there will be more fake progress and other goodies, but this is what I get all that unsalted popcorn for:

:wink:
<<Snipped out the DS stuff as it has no point to what I'm saying>>

I'm not saying this when game will or won't be out, or what progress is being made on it. When I look at this I can't help but think of this past season of "Silicon Valley" where
they had the demo for the VR that looked super awesome but turned out the demo both only worked on a major gaming rig and wouldn't let you do anything past look at the pretty bar maiden. It was only made for a massive cash grab, but wouldn't/couldn't do 99% of what it claimed.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I haven't been following any of this closely, but this enterprise is starting to resemble John DeLorean's model for a cocaine-traffic--er, auto manufacturing business, but in game development skin.

only difference is the delorean is real.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Well I asked simple question when will this game be released. Guess nobody know exact date of release... So... should I order my coffin before I start playing this game or not? -.-

As far as I know there isn't a solid release date for the final product. I remember reading that the Alpha 3.0 was pushed back to Aug I *think*. One of the Alpha players could tell you more on that part. If you're wanting to play what it current is at, as a ton of people will tell you, then you can now. If you're waiting on the final product release date, then I haven't a clue. I do think that the MMOish part of the game will become something that won't have a final product, as much as it'll be something morphed into them just calling the alpha/beta the final game world and releasing updates for that. Single player is a whole other thing now, so I haven't a clue when or if that'll see the light of the day. Most things I've read on it focus on the MMOish world.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
As far as I know there isn't a solid release date for the final product. I remember reading that the Alpha 3.0 was pushed back to Aug I *think*. One of the Alpha players could tell you more on that part. If you're wanting to play what it current is at, as a ton of people will tell you, then you can now. If you're waiting on the final product release date, then I haven't a clue. I do think that the MMOish part of the game will become something that won't have a final product, as much as it'll be something morphed into them just calling the alpha/beta the final game world and releasing updates for that. Single player is a whole other thing now, so I haven't a clue when or if that'll see the light of the day. Most things I've read on it focus on the MMOish world.

when they took my money 2013 was the release date if I recall.

Reactions: huskystafford

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
First image is from a real place in New Zealand (Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound, New Zealand).

Second image is "from the game".

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
but for only $250 you can own a jpg of those vehicles, that's a win right there.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
so they post this pictures and don't show gameplay of this?

What, like every other concept? Weird, companies showing concept art. Never heard of that before.

Must be a scam! 2 weeks! 90 days tops! ELE! LOLandfauxragesomemore.

In other, development related news, progress continues, just check the latest ATV which focused on details about the economy back-end and the front end interfaces (kiosks) to it. There were also a couple of gems in the F42:DE update:

Render to Texture technology:
AlarmedAntiqueAfricanporcupine.gif

Planets/Planetoids can and will have different gravity:
UnfinishedBlaringArchaeopteryx.gif

Biome work continues, with Hurston foliage being shown off:
qu9ekaqtstaz.png

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
What, like every other concept? Weird, companies showing concept art. Never heard of that before.

Must be a scam! 2 weeks! 90 days tops! ELE! LOLandfauxragesomemore.

In other, development related news, progress continues, just check the latest ATV which focused on details about the economy back-end and the front end interfaces (kiosks) to it. There were also a couple of gems in the F42:DE update:

Render to Texture technology:
AlarmedAntiqueAfricanporcupine.gif

Planets/Planetoids can and will have different gravity:
UnfinishedBlaringArchaeopteryx.gif

Biome work continues, with Hurston foliage being shown off:
qu9ekaqtstaz.png

You don't care that they used photo backgrounds to sell this thing? And to prove how development is moving forward you show more photos?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Man, this thread is fascinating. This project seems like a massive psychological experiment. I think this Derek Smart guy is in line for some cabinet position, like secretary of commerce or consumer loyalty or something...something totally invented and totally in line with the current state of things. What a time to be alive!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Man, this thread is fascinating. This project seems like a massive psychological experiment.

I know right, some people seem to want this game to exist so bad that they cannot see the reality infront of them that its the biggest scam going.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I am so glad I sold my ships/packages years ago for entirely too much money.

Because now I don't have to be irritated at yet another "Anniversary" sale with no game to show for it.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
wow, this is still going? and we had to make a seperate thread for this? AND the thread is like 44 pages long? lol!

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
wow, this is still going? and we had to make a seperate thread for this? AND the thread is like 44 pages long? lol!

Yes.

If you couldn't tell, there is a significant amount of drama around the development of this game. This thread is the place to discuss how the development is being handled. There are multiple view points: It's a scam! it's going to be the greatest game evar! And the believe-it-when-I-see-it crowd.

The original thread is to actually discuss the aspects of the game itself. There is actually something of a game to play, so that thread ought to be about the game play as it exists now.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Delayed again? of course. The jesus patch (3.0) is delayed. The one they were playing at citizen con a year ago?! yes. The one people said journalists were already playing a year ago? the same. Whats going to be in it? Not half the stuff they showed a year ago at citcon.

Reactions: KMFJD

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
This game must have more funding than the canadian military at this point of time. I think everyone just needs to ignore it at this point.