Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This and the cultlike behavior of the fans are why I'm interested. I was a fan of the project for years before it became apparent to me that Chris Roberts is a lying scam artist.

Agreed. I was more than a few hundred in before I decided to cut and run.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Nobody should be spending more then $80 on a video game. It's ruining shit because companies are charging way more.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I only tossed $15 into
Nobody should be spending more then $80 on a video game. It's ruining shit because companies are charging way more.
Blame the mobile market for microtransactions. The administrative assistant where I work regularly spends $30 a week on Castle Crashers and she's been playing for years. She laughed about it when she said she's probably spent over a thousand dollars on the game over the course of her playing.

Then we had that really horrible streak where games were being released 80% completed with day one DLC to get the rest of the game for an extra $20. Even Season Passes are generally $40 to start and some games barely give us $15 worth of content for the entire pass (looking at you FO4). I think the last season pass I bought was for Dungeon Defenders and that was actually well worth the money. Since then, I haven't seen a single game release passes or packs that justify the cost.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
yeah its all redacted. I buy mega sale or free games. I gave $40 to this abortion in 2012 and it went wild town with people paying upwards of 50k on a video game. idiots.

No profanity in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Witcher 3 didn't offer season passes or packs though - which is what I was referring to. There are plenty of games out there with absolutely amazing DLCs like the Witcher 3 as you pointed out. Even Fallout 4 has some great DLC, but they screwed up and offered a season pass which didn't live up to the price tag since three out of the five DLCs are just new cosmetic items for settlement workshops - something many people don't really care about.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
:) lmao:

1ASvADi.png

editing for more richness::

b9oTuJD.png

JJoB2RX.png

Last edited:

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
:) lmao:

1ASvADi.png

editing for more richness::

b9oTuJD.png

JJoB2RX.png

Painfully obvious you're grasping at straws and the SA posse still lacks anyone remotely financially literate.

As an FYI, partnering with a bank to obtain an advance on tax credits in lieu of transferring cash overseas would never be considered a partnership.

But keep up the good work commandos!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Painfully obvious you're grasping at straws and the SA posse still lacks anyone remotely financially literate.

As an FYI, partnering with a bank to obtain an advance on tax credits in lieu of transferring cash overseas would never be considered a partnership.

Sure. So why did they have to give the bank everything as collateral if the tax credits are enough?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Common guys be optimistic! They can still sell t-shirts and make a good money which they need to develop this game. And they can make special bundles like:
Buy one for you and your son, so you are prepared for game when it comes out bundle!
walking-sticks.jpg

There is bunch of money laying around :)
LMAO! +1

Can we officially rename this "Star Citizen Forever" yet?

Can we officially declare Chris Roberts to be the Uwe Boll of video games?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
LMAO! +1

Can we officially rename this "Star Citizen Forever" yet?

Can we officially declare Chris Roberts to be the Uwe Boll of video games?

He was already declared that after he botched his last game. He then went on to mess up in the film industry to the point he couldnt work anymore and then went on to sell used exotic cars. Thats right, croberts is a used car salesman.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Agreed. I was more than a few hundred in before I decided to cut and run.

I didn't contribute, but I was literally planning my entire new pc build around a 2014 release of Star Citizen. I was even defending them against 'pay to win' accusations in the other thread on here well into 2014.

I only tossed $15 into

Blame the mobile market for microtransactions. The administrative assistant where I work regularly spends $30 a week on Castle Crashers and she's been playing for years. She laughed about it when she said she's probably spent over a thousand dollars on the game over the course of her playing.

Then we had that really horrible streak where games were being released 80% completed with day one DLC to get the rest of the game for an extra $20. Even Season Passes are generally $40 to start and some games barely give us $15 worth of content for the entire pass (looking at you FO4). I think the last season pass I bought was for Dungeon Defenders and that was actually well worth the money. Since then, I haven't seen a single game release passes or packs that justify the cost.

How do you spend $30 a week on castle crashers? There are like 2 $1 DLC's for :confused:

If you believe that obvious lie (there'd be no reason to mortgage all their assets for an advance...) then I have some JPEG images of not-even-coded space ships in a horrifically delayed video game to sell you.

Reactions: JSt0rm

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
basically croberts tricked a bunch of rubs who have no idea about content creation that the reason why the game of their dreams doesn't exist is because of "evil publishers" and he will make an entire universe of things and it will be everything to everyone. The guy hasnt looked at a video game in 20 years and somehow he knows what can or cant be done. Yeah right.

He came and sold snake oil to degenerate mountain dew gamers whose only real accomplishment is the high score in some nothing game.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Remember kids, when you have no argument, and your paragon is a 50 something never has and never will be, resort to arguments like J's <3

In the meantime, it's delightful watching Smart and Co slowly falling on their swords on this latest nonsense. Thanks for the salt! :popcorn:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Remember kids, when you have no argument, and your paragon is a 50 something never has and never will be, resort to arguments like J's <3

In the meantime, it's delightful watching Smart and Co slowly falling on their swords on this latest nonsense. Thanks for the salt! :popcorn:

Roberts got sued out of hollywood and was a used car salesman before he scammed you and your cult friends out of a lot of money. Derek Smart is semi retired and his wife is psychiatrist who owns a successful mental health practice in Florida. If you know anything about medicine, you know that psychiatrists who have successful practices are very very rich.

Derek has no reason to lie, whereas Roberts' financial livelihood depends on keeping the lies going.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Munch munch munch. Sauce for any of that? Please name anything Smart was successful at other than mailing in for his diplomas and taking a publisher for a ride? We should listen to this crook on financial matters why?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Munch munch munch. Sauce for any of that? Please name anything Smart was successful at other than mailing in for his diplomas and taking a publisher for a ride? We should listen to this crook on financial matters why?

Don't listen to him. Listen to your own common sense. If you don't have any common sense then listen to me...

Get a refund.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
This thing is like inception. A dream within a dream within a dream.

On this we can agree, even if we're at odds on the subject matter of the dream. Regardless, the good "doctor" and the SA playground are certainly entertaining :D

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
This thing is like inception. A dream within a dream within a dream.

Me an idiot: The guy who sold fake spaceships for $150 million and has only produced a buggy tech demo with no content should be trusted less the dude who makes bad games as a hobby while his wife makes millions of dollars a year.
Wise scam citizen cultists: I read on reddit that Derek Smart was living in a box in Ft Lauderdale trying to get back into videogames

I didn't say he was successful, I said his wife is rich and making (bad) video games is a hobby to him.

And you're defending *chris roberts* while accusing someone for taking a publisher for a ride? LMAO

Stop deflecting. The only crook in this discussion is the guy who took $150 million from naive gamers.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Don't listen to him. Listen to your own common sense. If you don't have any common sense then listen to me...

Get a refund.

Common sense (using only disposable money) and frequent, in depth developer updates showing progress don't have me looking for a refund. I funded Chris and David because this genre was dead and the Waaaahlord certainly wasn't ever going to fix that. But I appreciate your concern for my money, Comrade.

And sorry, the SA playground attached itself to the Smart ship wreck, you don't get a free pass on distancing yourselves from that special snowflake so easily :D

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I didn't get a refund personally because it $30 and I don't give a blank. Anyone who has spent more then $80 on this abortion needs to get thier money out while they still can.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Common sense (using only disposable money) and frequent, in depth developer updates showing progress don't have me looking for a refund. I funded Chris and David because this genre was dead and the Waaaahlord certainly wasn't ever going to fix that. But I appreciate your concern for my money, Comrade.

And sorry, the SA playground attached itself to the Smart ship wreck, you don't get a free pass on distancing yourselves from that special snowflake so easily :D

Who is distancing themselves? I said if you don't want to listen to him then don't. You seem to think smart doesn't know what he is talking about but amazingly this thing is falling apart pretty much how he said it would.