Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
you keep saying they pulled something from lumberjack. They clearly said they switched to lumberjack. If you have evidence that they picked over lumberjack and pulled in stuff to starengine then post it.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Have they ever said what they pulled from Lumberyard (lumberjack?) ? Seems that would go a long way into stopping people from thinking they've one a port. Also, is Lumberyard/jack a Amazon thing?

The only things I've seen specifically mentioned is the LAWS and twitch integration. I'd like to see a atv or studio update with more details as well.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
^^^ you are projecting again.

Everyone's projecting amirite? I'm confused though, where's the epic loss of progress caused by this integration? What did they lose?

I mean, you obviously have no firsthand knowledge on this, but I heard Dede is trying to figure out how to port LoD to UE after 7 years of development, maybe he'll know?

And furthermore.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
you keep saying they pulled something from lumberjack. They clearly said they switched to lumberjack. If you have evidence that they picked over lumberjack and pulled in stuff to starengine then post it.

I have as much proof as you have about them switching over.. I'm just also adding that I don't know which it is between switching over and pulling stuff in. From the dev post it sounds like they pulled stuff in, but that could mean they've pulled over the entire code base minus a comment. I'm just giving them the benefit until I see something that shows me how much they've used in lumber.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Everyone's projecting amirite? I'm confused though, where's the epic loss of progress caused by this integration? What did they lose?

I mean, you obviously have no firsthand knowledge on this, but I heard Dede is trying to figure out how to port LoD to UE after 7 years of development, maybe he'll know?

And furthermore.

aside from 2.6 being 6 months late?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I have as much proof as you have about them switching over.. I'm just also adding that I don't know which it is between switching over and pulling stuff in. From the dev post it sounds like they pulled stuff in, but that could mean they've pulled over the entire code base minus a comment. I'm just giving them the benefit until I see something that shows me how much they've used in lumber.

The press release from cig said they switched. Thats my proof.

oh I guess you didnt read the press release. Not that it would matter, Im sure you would fill it in so it fits your narrative.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

oh I guess you didnt read the press release. Not that it would matter, Im sure you would fill it in so it fits your narrative.

You're right I didn't read it, oddly enough I asked for info on it, as I could only go off what the dev had said.. which said they pulled things from it. If you have that link to it, please paste it in so I can read up on it. Or not, just claim a guy that's been really critical about the game is trying to fit a pro-game narrative into this thread. In my world, this game has so many real issues I don't need to create them just to add fuel to the fire. If they did switch over everything and dumped the past x years of dev, then that's complete bullshit and wasting of money. I said that before, but before I call something bullshit, I like to know the facts behind it. However, please don't let that stop you from claiming I'm part of some narrative that's for the game.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007

Everyone here has a narrative other than our S.A. member with a group mandated grudge against CIG. Got it, I'm sorry, I'll make sure that we get back on our regularly scheduled Star Citizen is a scam narra...i mean truth.

And furthermore.

But for real, where's your proof on this giant loss of progress and complete engine rewrite J?

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
You're right I didn't read it, oddly enough I asked for info on it, as I could only go off what the dev had said.. which said they pulled things from it. If you have that link to it, please paste it in so I can read up on it. Or not, just claim a guy that's been really critical about the game is trying to fit a pro-game narrative into this thread. In my world, this game has so many real issues I don't need to create them just to add fuel to the fire. If they did switch over everything and dumped the past x years of dev, then that's complete bullshit and wasting of money. I said that before, but before I call something bullshit, I like to know the facts behind it. However, please don't let that stop you from claiming I'm part of some narrative that's for the game.

I agree, and for the record while you've been critical at least I haven't seen a clear agenda on your part and we're at least able to have a discussion. Additionally, despite what others might say, CIG is not above reproach and they have made mistakes, and backers have brought those up, not only in the main thread but this thread as well. Our issue is with falsehoods and trolling.

I'll go on the record as well and say if they did switch over everything and lost years worth of work they should be called out for that.

You're not going to see that though based on the info from the dev and the fact that we're playing 2.6 right now.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

You're cute right now.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
over the last 4 years the narrative from the citizen as to why it was taking so long was because of all this custom stuff done to the engine. And in the blink of an eye you guys re-posture and say its easy to merge these things. I mean for real. This highlights everything wrong with this project.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
over the last 4 years the narrative from the citizen as to why it was taking so long was because of all this custom stuff done to the engine. And in the blink of an eye you guys re-posture and say its easy to merge these things. I mean for real. This highlights everything wrong with this project.

I think it's just painfully obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe just wait for Dede's next word salad (one he clears it through beagle of course) so you can get your next taking points?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Lumberyard is CryEngine. How much do we have to restate this?

It's less that they integrated their modifications into Lumberyard as they hand picked some portions of Lumberyard and integrated it into StarEngine.

It's working in 2.6, so clearly they haven't thrown away anything. What else you got, Debbie Downer?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think it's just painfully obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe just wait for Dede's next word salad (one he clears it through beagle of course) so you can get your next taking points?

You know that legal the beagle originated at SA? We make fun of everything.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Lumberyard is CryEngine. How much do we have to restate this?

It's less that they integrated their modifications into Lumberyard as they hand picked some portions of Lumberyard and integrated it into StarEngine.

It's working in 2.6, so clearly they haven't thrown away anything. What else you got, Debbie Downer?

^^ cognitive dissonance.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I agree, and for the record while you've been critical at least I haven't seen a clear agenda on your part and we're at least able to have a discussion. Additionally, despite what others might say, CIG is not above reproach and they have made mistakes, and backers have brought those up, not only in the main thread but this thread as well. Our issue is with falsehoods and trolling.

I'll go on the record as well and say if they did switch over everything and lost years worth of work they should be called out for that.

You're not going to see that though based on the info from the dev and the fact that we're playing 2.6 right now.

The downside to things like this game is you have fan vs anti-fans? (not sure what you'd call them) with both sides really pushing the boundary of what's real vs what's just trolling. It's not like there's even a victim on it, as both sides are just as guilty. For every JSt0rm there's a TechBoyJK. While I fall more on the anti-fan side (really need to have a better name) as I don't think this game is going to make it out as they intended, I am openminded enough to say I might be wrong. There's a ton of stuff I just don't plain understand about game development, or what CIG has done. There's a chance that this was all needed to make the game, but I doubt it. Either way.. I also appreciate that you're able to have a convo with me without the mud slinging, it's been very informative. I can say with your and Sabrewings posts I have a much better idea what's going on than I did before.

I'm not sure anyone said it was easy to merge anything. It's simpler than trying to pull parts from a completely different engine I'm sure, but in this case it really boils down to what they pulled in (or rewrote with it) If you could please link the press release you mentioned it'd be easier for me to understand why you keep saying that it's a port and I'd probably agree with you to the point I'd sharpen up my pitchforks.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Cig was claiming that 50% of the code was new. How does that square with this current move?

Im not a anti-fan boi. I just see this whole mess for what it actually is. And time will tell. If Im right and its all shit will I be considered a anti-fan boy still or just right?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Cig was claiming that 50% of the code was new. How does that square with this current move?

Im not a anti-fan boi. I just see this whole mess for what it actually is. And time will tell. If Im right and its all shit will I be considered a anti-fan boy still or just right?

Where did you get that "Cig was claiming that 50% of the code was new."? Is this in the press release that I asked you nicely to link so I could read up on it?

As for the rest, it's interesting to me how you're cherry picking parts of what I said while throwing out the rest..

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Brian Chambers at GamesCom he talks about the work CIG has done customizing CryEngine when he talks about 50% of the code is new.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Marry christmas fighters :)
hot-christmas-girl-

dude you will get banned for that one best pull it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if its nsfw you cant post it here. It was nice yes but gotta think about a dweeb browsing from his work computer.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Aww I missed it :( oh well, karma right?

And I'm not sure how BC talking about the work that's been done to Star Engine means they've lost all of that work when they integrated lumberyard? Especially considering that we've repeatedly pointed back to the dev quote and that we're playing 2.6 whereas J is just pulling statements from thin air and without facts.