Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I've been asked by plenty of friends and co-workers whether or not they should sign up - - and I've never recommended it once. My advice has always been to check out a "Free Fly" event and know the risk before spending a dime. I know a lot of other fans have done the same. A lot of SC fans exhibit far more objectivism than you have. Some of them don't.....doesn't really matter to me what people do with their money for entertainment.

I spent over 100 hours in Arena Commander alone, and had more fun this year playing it than any other game I bought. I just can't figure out why you're spending so much effort and emotional investment in trying to convince people not to like something they already enjoy. Don't you have some nice studio equipment? Isn't that a much more rewarding use of time than scouring the forums looking for an SC fan to shoot down? I just bought a Martin dread I've been tracking down forever - - I haven't even touched a video game since I got it. Now I just need to figure out how to record the thing well (all I have is an SM57 and an M-Audio interface...time for some upgrades).

I will echo Stingjam's post. I feel like I've already got my money's worth out of SC just from the numerous hours I spent racing Old Vanderval back in 1.3 (and earlier).

Coincidentally, my brother talked me into getting my Les Paul out of the closet and start playing again (a short subscription to JamPlay really helped too). So I'm now playing more guitar than gaming....

Thinking about getting this soon: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSoloG2

That way, I can run Bias FX, Pro Tools, Rocksmith, etc......never done the guitar-to-PC thing before so it's a whole new world.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I've been asked by plenty of friends and co-workers whether or not they should sign up - - and I've never recommended it once. My advice has always been to check out a "Free Fly" event and know the risk before spending a dime. I know a lot of other fans have done the same. A lot of SC fans exhibit far more objectivism than you have. Some of them don't.....doesn't really matter to me what people do with their money for entertainment.

I spent over 100 hours in Arena Commander alone, and had more fun this year playing it than any other game I bought. I just can't figure out why you're spending so much effort and emotional investment in trying to convince people not to like something they already enjoy. Don't you have some nice studio equipment? Isn't that a much more rewarding use of time than scouring the forums looking for an SC fan to shoot down? I just bought a Martin dread I've been tracking down forever - - I haven't even touched a video game since I got it. Now I just need to figure out how to record the thing well (all I have is an SM57 and an M-Audio interface...time for some upgrades).

Studio stuff is my profession. Videogames is a hobby. Star Citizen is the slow motion train wreck that I knew was going to crash in 2013.

sm57 is bad for an acoustic. Either go omni mic very close or large diaphragm condenser

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/2e21cfb668854714/index.html

thats cardioid so you want to set it back a bit from the source.

Glad everyone's already gotten their monies worth out of the game. I wonder how many people who funded the game feel the same way?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
man you guys had that artwork pulled? That was some seriously good photoshopping. I guess safe spaces do exist.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
.....never done the guitar-to-PC thing before so it's a whole new world.

I love it. I have an old early '90s Mesa Tremoverb 100w head and an oversized 2x12 Bogner cab that sounds like the voice of God, but the majority of my time is spent with headphones and my guitar plugged into GuitarRig on PC. I'm pretty amazed at just how good modeling is -- there's some far better stuff out there now (that's really affordable) that I'm looking at now, though. Having a baby around pretty much requires a quieter means of amplification. ;)

And thanks for the info JSt0rm.....I've got a lot more questions, but I've already committed a thread derail sin, so I'll leave it at that.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Perk got a report from a citizen that took offense to my jpegs and demanded a safe space. Perk being a level headed human split the difference on my jpegs and gave a tongue in cheek warning because he probably realized how Crazy the whole thing is.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
In development. New games take time. Games on the scale of SC take longer. Unless you have a way of pulling them outta your rear end, in which case I have a business proposition for you.

<<snip>>

And it's nowhere close to the same scope as SC, it's a different game. Inch deep sums up Elite very well (sadly), and while I enjoyed the hell out of that inch (especially with the Rift), it's really nothing more than a grind fest that's gotten worse, not better, with time. Meanwhile, still no first person, ships are very, very same-y, and there's still no game :)

Here's a better analogy. You just bought a $150M home. It's going to be a pretty sweet home, you've seen the brochure, heck, you've even had a say in some of the features going into the house. This is going to be one very big, complex home, which is exactly what you wanted. Now, the builder has had experience in the past making awesome homes, however this will be the biggest one yet. He'll need to round up some subs and then it'll take a while to make the house. You're cool with that because in the end, you're going to get what you want, and in the meantime, you get to see the house being made and try out different features of the house as they come online.

Meanwhile, there's a cookie-cutter home for $3M or so that also is going up right across the street. Now, that builder is from a larger company, and already has build a similar house before. Lo and behold, it's "done" after a couple of years. However, you go inside and realize there's no trim, the appliances are all white GE (THE HORROR!), and every room is exactly the same as the other.

Analogies are fun, right? :D

As for why we're not crying out the sky is falling? It's because we have patience. Because we know that based on the scope of SC, it'll take time to develop. And the majority of us are ok with that.

And hey, if you're not, I heard there's a game called Elite Dangerous that you can play.
<snip>

The issue is the fact that they continue to milk money while producing little. To your analogy.. no builder in the world would be able to sell you a house they're going to build and then start jacking up the price like CR has. You didn't buy a $150M house.. you bought into (depending on when you bought into it mind you.. but starting where most started, the kickstarter) $2M house. Then the builder started deciding to expand the house and add features that while are cool, aren't exactly what you signed up for. Sure it can be looked at as a benefit and makes the house nicer, but meanwhile you're stuck in until the builder decides he's done adding stuff, and all these new features require him to create new building ways as it's just not possible with current building tech. Top it off with him selling more blueprints that he seems to spend much more time making than building the house and one can see where people might start getting cranky.

It'd be one thing if he was funding this himself, but the reality is he's spending other people's money to try new things. While this isn't so bad for some, others (like those in this thread) are going WTF?

I've said repeatably, if you're happy with it, so be it.. go forth and be in peace. I dont' see anyone trying to convince anyone they shouldn't enjoy what they have. I do see a lot of people questioning if they've been ripped off as it doesn't look like the game has any clue when (or even IF) it'll ever see the light of day. I don't go into the other SC thread because I don't want to be told that a Jpeg of a ship that isn't on a timeline to even be added to the game is the most awesome thing yet and I should shell out money for it. Maybe some people shouldn't jump into this one if they don't want to see people talking about feeling ripped off.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Maybe some people shouldn't jump into this one if they don't want to see people talking about feeling ripped off.

People who want a safe space want it to go with them where ever they go. If they enter the thread they dont want to have their feelings hurt by people discussing reasons why its bad, very bad... Oh so very very bad.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Except, that's like, just your opinion man.

Talking about safe zones, pretty sure some trolls got a member here banned. But hey, whatever floats your boat princess. Just remember, we've been playing the game, you've been trolling along.

Also, I think those jpegs should have stayed, despite how off topic they were. Makes it easier to see the salt :)

It's almost sad, we were starting to have a good discussion here too.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Except, that's like, just your opinion man.

Talking about safe zones, pretty sure some trolls got a member here banned. But hey, whatever floats your boat princess. Just remember, we've been playing the game, you've been trolling along.

Also, I think those jpegs should have stayed, despite how off topic they were. Makes it easier to see the salt :)

It's almost sad, we were starting to have a good discussion here too.

Did they get banned or vacations? I could see vacations as that happened in the SC thread to people that had concerns about if the game would come out. They got told if they were going to derail the thread with crap that wasn't game play related they'd get a vac (and I seem to remember that happening). If it happened here to those that were mostly calling people trolls that didn't agree, I can't say I'd be surprised.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
yeah thats why there are 2 threads. 1 for dreams and 1 for discussing the company, design "choices" and other things. This thing is going to make national news when it crashes. It will be funny.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
yeah thats why there are 2 threads. 1 for dreams and 1 for discussing the company, design "choices" and other things. This thing is going to make national news when it crashes. It will be funny.
Have you been able to procure any evidence of the claims you were making the other night? Let me guess you just moved on and proceeded to post more lame memes and pictures that only you think are funny. Color me surprised....All you have is your own personal opinions which you keep making very clear. "1 for dreams and 1 for discussing the company" is just more testament to your obvious bias against this project.

This whole thread is a complete joke. Its just people throwing out any accusation they can. No one here is interested in discussing the company or its business practices in an objective light.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Have you been able to procure any evidence of the claims you were making the other night? Let me guess you just moved on and proceeded to post more lame memes and pictures that only you think are funny. Color me surprised....All you have is your own personal opinions which you keep making very clear. "1 for dreams and 1 for discussing the company" is just more testament to your obvious bias against this project.

This whole thread is a complete joke. Its just people throwing out any accusation they can. No one here is interested in discussing the company or its business practices in an objective light.

Are you derek smart?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

do you have any evidence that croberts isnt the tickler in black?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
also if the thread is a complete joke then why force yourself to read it? There is a safe place for you. I cant follow you there. Enjoy it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
0a749c7d6e.png

looks like they took some halo artwork as well.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
The issue is the fact that they continue to milk money while producing little. To your analogy.. no builder in the world would be able to sell you a house they're going to build and then start jacking up the price like CR has. You didn't buy a $150M house.. you bought into (depending on when you bought into it mind you.. but starting where most started, the kickstarter) $2M house. Then the builder started deciding to expand the house and add features that while are cool, aren't exactly what you signed up for. Sure it can be looked at as a benefit and makes the house nicer, but meanwhile you're stuck in until the builder decides he's done adding stuff, and all these new features require him to create new building ways as it's just not possible with current building tech. Top it off with him selling more blueprints that he seems to spend much more time making than building the house and one can see where people might start getting cranky.

It'd be one thing if he was funding this himself, but the reality is he's spending other people's money to try new things. While this isn't so bad for some, others (like those in this thread) are going WTF?

I've said repeatably, if you're happy with it, so be it.. go forth and be in peace. I dont' see anyone trying to convince anyone they shouldn't enjoy what they have. I do see a lot of people questioning if they've been ripped off as it doesn't look like the game has any clue when (or even IF) it'll ever see the light of day. I don't go into the other SC thread because I don't want to be told that a Jpeg of a ship that isn't on a timeline to even be added to the game is the most awesome thing yet and I should shell out money for it. Maybe some people shouldn't jump into this one if they don't want to see people talking about feeling ripped off.

But unlike a home construction contract (which prohibits the very thing you're saying the builder would do), the Star Citizen pledge contact explicitly allows for CIG to expand the scope of the project as more funds come in. Indefinitely as far as I can tell.

For the salty people who don't understand this...it's their own fault.

I've been a participant in the other thread for 3 years now. I've never seen anyone say "this shiny jpeg is awesome and you should shell out money for it". You see what you want to see. Instead you'll see lots of advice about, if you want in start with a starter package and test out ships during free fly weeks if you want to expand your fleet. We're pretty up front about the risk of failure (it exists), the timelines (they're long and indefinable), and the state of the code (it's very buggy).

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
also if the thread is a complete joke then why force yourself to read it? There is a safe place for you. I cant follow you there. Enjoy it.

Last I checked this isn't a S.A. circle jerk and you don't need a safe zone. It's relevant to the topic, you're just salty you can't provide evidence and Derek's little house continues to crumble. And furthermore.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I just showed evidence of stolen art work. Its pretty common in the industry to do mock ups with other peoples art but then when you push your own thing out you tend to replace all of that temp stuff with original content.

So there is some evidence this thing has gone off the rails.