Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 295 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Just saw on facebook a quote from one of the devs that true or not, makes sense.

They have offices and backers all over the world, and the technical issue wasn't really a major one, but they weren't quite sure if it'd be an hour or 2 or 4 so rather than beat around the bush they just pushed it back an entire day so that every was accommodated.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I given up crossing fingers or hoping for anything. This is easily one of the most poorly-run companies I've ever had the "pleasure" of following.

A great game forgives all sins, but continual mis-management makes you wonder how in the world there is any hope for a "great game".

The worst part about this is they placed a teaser on the IGN site yesterday and said come back tomorrow for a more expansive tease and.......derp. If I'm a noob interested in SQ42 I'm like "wtf?".

Hope for a great game? I dunno, the released alpha stages are a pretty good indicator of both progress and quality (not that the current 3.0 builds are really "prime time" yet). Constant communication, multiple touchpoints every week on the various facets of development?

The face palming is strong considering they specifically hyped it (IGN, Citizencon) and were delayed. That being said, I still don't think a "noob" interested in SQ42 is going to see a 24 hour delay (ostensibly to accommodate the international audience) as a "WTF" moment). I'd say it's more on those who have been following for years that the "WTF" bit comes into play.

Also, based on Zyloh's remarks, apparently as TK mentioned, the delay could have taken anywhere from 1-4 hours to fix, but since they weren't sure, they pushed the timing back 24 to accommodate international viewers. Also, apparently much (all?) of this is going to be in a "community watching pre-recorded ATV" format. So, yay on non-shitty livestream, more puzzle-ness on what technical difficulty popped up so soon prior to airing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...e_clarification_from_cig_regarding_the_delay/

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
It will be a pre-recorded video. Tyler (Zyloh-CIG) said it in a random place, as usual.

And they delayed something like this?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It will be a pre-recorded video. Tyler (Zyloh-CIG) said it in a random place, as usual.

And they delayed something like this?

Honestly, the delay doesn't bother me. It's giving 40 minutes notice before the pre-recorded presentation was supposed to start that bothers me. I've never seen a 400+ person company do something that inconsiderate. Guess I've just been lucky.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Hope for a great game? I dunno, the released alpha stages are a pretty good indicator of both progress and quality (not that the current 3.0 builds are really "prime time" yet). Constant communication, multiple touchpoints every week on the various facets of development?

The face palming is strong considering they specifically hyped it (IGN, Citizencon) and were delayed. That being said, I still don't think a "noob" interested in SQ42 is going to see a 24 hour delay (ostensibly to accommodate the international audience) as a "WTF" moment). I'd say it's more on those who have been following for years that the "WTF" bit comes into play.

Also, based on Zyloh's remarks, apparently as TK mentioned, the delay could have taken anywhere from 1-4 hours to fix, but since they weren't sure, they pushed the timing back 24 to accommodate international viewers. Also, apparently much (all?) of this is going to be in a "community watching pre-recorded ATV" format. So, yay on non-shitty livestream, more puzzle-ness on what technical difficulty popped up so soon prior to airing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...e_clarification_from_cig_regarding_the_delay/

If a company isn't competent enough to broadcast a pre-recorded video at a time announced months in advance, how is there much hope they'll be competent enough to build a great game? Building a great game is much, much, much harder that streaming a video on twitch (something people sitting in their dinning rooms do competently every day).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
If a company isn't competent enough to broadcast a pre-recorded video at a time announced months in advance, how is there much hope they'll be competent enough to build a great game? Building a great game is much, much, much harder that streaming a video on twitch (something people sitting in their dinning rooms do competently every day).

This is what makes me think the entire thing was delegated to just a few people to manage and setup while the bulk of the team is in their own world working on 3.0 and beyond. Per some spectrum posts, a lot of CIG employees had already logged out of their workstations, got lunch, and were congregating in the break rooms for the broadcast as well.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007

Because the entirety of CIG was responsible for the stream of course. Also, again, you can play the current Alpha to see that they are making progress.

Speaking of which, Alpha 3.0 is now open to all backers on the PTU. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-3-0-0-all-backers-test

Feb 4, 2009
Back to game talk, I hope we see something like this in SC.

An explorer in Elite Dangerous has ventured into the void between galaxies, seeking to break the record for travelling the furthest distance from our own sun. But due to a miscalculation, they’ve run out of the fuel necessary for a return trip and are currently stranded further than any pilot has ever been from civilisation. Now the fuel rats – a collection of players who save player ships from dereliction by refueling them – are mounting an ambitious multi-ship rescue that will take two days to complete.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/21/elite-dangerous-rescue-mission-christmas/

Its even cooler because for the fuelers and the dude who is stranded to make the trip they have to be logged in a minimal amount of time because "life support" costs energy/fuel. The stranded dude needs to log in every few hours to send a beacon where he is and the fuelers need to log in to get that signal.
I'll admit this isn't long term fun game play but for this instance its very, very cool.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Back to game talk, I hope we see something like this in SC.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/21/elite-dangerous-rescue-mission-christmas/

Its even cooler because for the fuelers and the dude who is stranded to make the trip they have to be logged in a minimal amount of time because "life support" costs energy/fuel. The stranded dude needs to log in every few hours to send a beacon where he is and the fuelers need to log in to get that signal.
I'll admit this isn't long term fun game play but for this instance its very, very cool.

The stuff itself isn't fun (for me anyway), BUT it's the idea of this sort of emergent gameplay that gets me excited.

Also, GET TO THE TONK LIEUTENANT!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Is it ready for live? Seems like the general consensus from PTU testers on the CIG forums is that it just wasn't ready for prime time.

On a separate note, the SQ42 vertical slice looked like fun to me.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Is it ready for live? Seems like the general consensus from PTU testers on the CIG forums is that it just wasn't ready for prime time.

On a separate note, the SQ42 vertical slice looked like fun to me.

Not really 'ready', but 2.6 live servers were a ghost town, and I don't think it was worth it at this point for them to sustain 2.6 on the live servers (its like 1.5 years old) when the more people using and debugging 3.0 the better.

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
For 170 million this game is pure [Removed] My interest in this game just started, I would hate to be one of those people that started from the beginning. that would be around 2013. how much money do we need to contribute to have a playable game?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Did you really need to post this in this thread when i have asked people not to?
Are you really trying to get on my mean side when im trying hard to keep the lines peaceful?

Anyhow you have recieved 2 infractions.
1. For the trollish comment made in a thread which i said many times for Game Development and Game Talk ONLY
2. For profanity.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 4, 2009

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Low effort troll says...

This [removed]post belongs in the other thread at best. I mean, I know the SQ42 demo and 3.0 release have triggered some of you special snowflakes, but still, could you at least try a little?

I took care of that issue however please be careful on language.
I know you were baited, next time just send a report and i will take care of it.

The removed word was considered not acceptable by our overlords.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
For 170 million this game is pure dogshit. My interest in this game just started, I would hate to be one of those people that started from the beginning. that would be around 2013. how much money do we need to contribute to have a playable game?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Which game are you talking about?

Star Citizen....the pre-alpha code that backers can help test?

Or Squadron 42....the pre-alpha single player game we finally got to see a vertical slice of (which looked pretty damn fun if you're into cinematic, story driven games)?