Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 297 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Man, reaction to this patch on the CIG forums has been brutal thus far.

I'm kinda glad because I think it's going to force their hand on persistence and properly reconnecting players.

PUBG crashes all the time. But I can just restart the client, reconnect, and hop in right where i was.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I don't mind the game crashes as much as the lack of performance between the crashes (in PU).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
When playing in the early evocati builds, they removed certain ships. in chat the devs said the ships they removed were the 'least efficient' and were known to cause a server wide performance hit for w/e reason.

Those builds were fantastic. 60fps on very high with a 970gtx/4790/16gb/ssd without any lag or hitches. Really gave me hope.

once they started adding reclaimers and allowing all ships to be spawned, it went to shit again.

This is why I think they need to get all useful hands on deck and knock out some deeper levels of persistence and crash recovery. It'd get everyone away from constantly respawning at Port Olisar and fewer ships would be used since there'd be less claims.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When playing in the early evocati builds, they removed certain ships. in chat the devs said the ships they removed were the 'least efficient' and were known to cause a server wide performance hit for w/e reason.

Those builds were fantastic. 60fps on very high with a 970gtx/4790/16gb/ssd without any lag or hitches. Really gave me hope.

once they started adding reclaimers and allowing all ships to be spawned, it went to shit again.

This is why I think they need to get all useful hands on deck and knock out some deeper levels of persistence and crash recovery. It'd get everyone away from constantly respawning at Port Olisar and fewer ships would be used since there'd be less claims.

I agree. I think persistence is one of the main core functionality pieces that has yet to be implemented (I still think there is netcode work that needs to be done, but it is possible that the "buggy" ships might simply be the issue). Not really sure why they wouldn't run a test on the PTU removing some of those buggy ships to see if they are in fact the cause, yank them out, and then get some people to spend the time to look at them and only bring them back once they are fixed.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I agree. I think persistence is one of the main core functionality pieces that has yet to be implemented (I still think there is netcode work that needs to be done, but it is possible that the "buggy" ships might simply be the issue). Not really sure why they wouldn't run a test on the PTU removing some of those buggy ships to see if they are in fact the cause, yank them out, and then get some people to spend the time to look at them and only bring them back once they are fixed.

During Evocati, there was a string of builds where we had a very limited list of ships to use. In chat, the devs said these were the 'known' polished ships that haven't been known to have bugs. The server ran like warm butter down a vertical pancake.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so ... is this thing *playable* ?

do you just sandbox away, or can you actually engage in some sort of conflict ?

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
They have a "Free Fly" right now. But apparently the 3.1.2 patch that just went live is a crash fest (I haven't tried it yet).

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I haven't crashed, but I get stuttering like mad.

No idea wtf I'm doing in game, but I will say it's absolutely beautiful.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
That's date is rather optimistic isn't it?

Well to be clear, I'm not advocating that release will be in 2020. I'm saying to check back in 2020 because by then we should have a better idea on if/when a release will occur. :)

I'm not a doom-and-gloomer, but I think their funding starts to run dry possibly as soon as this year. Ideas, assets, mechanics get cut. And what gets released is an abbreviated version of the ever expanding vision that is Star Citizen. And by 2020 we should know much more about that......

Reactions: KMFJD

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Well to be clear, I'm not advocating that release will be in 2020. I'm saying to check back in 2020 because by then we should have a better idea on if/when a release will occur. :)

I'm not a doom-and-gloomer, but I think their funding starts to run dry possibly as soon as this year. Ideas, assets, mechanics get cut. And what gets released is an abbreviated version of the ever expanding vision that is Star Citizen. And by 2020 we should know much more about that......

I firmly believe this is why they've been focusing on buildings tools as much as anything else. Because when the time comes, and it will, they'll need to slim down, and if they can slim down to a 'content creation' studio it'll fair much better for them in the long run.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I firmly believe this is why they've been focusing on buildings tools as much as anything else. Because when the time comes, and it will, they'll need to slim down, and if they can slim down to a 'content creation' studio it'll fair much better for them in the long run.

I see what you did there

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

The focus on creating tools is a good move for asset creation. But I don't think you can procedurally generate game mechanics. And as of today, the promised or alluded to list of game mechanics is a mile wide and an inch deep. I'm more concerned about gameplay/mechanics than I am assets like moons and cities.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The focus on creating tools is a good move for asset creation. But I don't think you can procedurally generate game mechanics. And as of today, the promised or alluded to list of game mechanics is a mile wide and an inch deep. I'm more concerned about gameplay/mechanics than I am assets like moons and cities.

You're absolutely right. I think it's imperative that they knock out the gameplay mechanics asap.

Per the latest survey, it seems they're adapting their roadmap to which gameplay mechanics are wanted the most. The brought FPS AI up to 3.2 from 3.4 because of it, as well as some others.

If they can knock out a big chunk of the gameplay mechanics over the next 18 months (likely the extend of their runway before having to scale back), I think they could take things pretty far from there with mostly additional content and a smaller team focusing on further mechanics.

Try 3.1.3 yet? Just went live. Very stable. Had one CTD the entire evening, and when I logged back in, it prompted me to rejoin my session. Spawned in FPS mode, standing next to my avenger, exactly where I was when it crashed. Even kept my cargo and mission state intact!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
No, I haven't run the code since 2.6. If they ever give cargo gameplay more depth, I might give it a go. Right now, what I see in the videos, doesn't really look that fun. Beautiful. But boring (at least to me).