Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I find it to be worse as time goes on. And a lot of time has gone by as they try to do anything.
I have really enjoyed Stellaris though and find myself sitting there with my wife playing for far too long at times.
That's what a game with a lot of depth does that a game with a lot of eye candy and no depth can't do for us. Just our personal observations. YMMV

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I have trouble believing you've played it much recently.

So the bigger PU is worse?

Being able to land on moons is worse?

The better performance and fewer crashes are worse?

Being able to customize your character and select from an array of suits and armor is worse than the same generic guy for everyone?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I played today for the first time in several months.

Smooth framerates, very little stuttering, and no crashes. This is a completely different build experience than any I have had since I last played.

I had a total blast. Talked to people in-game, traveled with them in some incredible ships, visited all the new locations. Even watched a sunset after setting out in my Avenger, which was an almost surreal experience (for a video game).

I've never had so much fun not shooting at anything. This universe is amazing...I have become increasingly less interested in PC gaming in general, but there is really something compelling about this game.

The last time I was this enamored with a PC game was STALKER ShoC. When the environment just pulls you in, and you look down at your clock and see that you've been playing for 8 hours and didn't even notice... ;)

Did you get a chance to take a Cyclone out on an extended drive? Head to Deacons on Yela, get someone to spawn one for you, and take it out towards the mountains you'll see about 15-20 miles out that are under Yela's belt on the horizon. Plays best with a controller (ie xbox)

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Is there a good place to sell your account or is ebay the place to go?

Retaliator LTI, Freelancer DUR LTI, Sabre LTI, Reliant Mini Hauler LTI, kickstarter backer account with all the kickstarter perks, 54,000 credits.

Asking for a friend.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Retaliator LTI, Freelancer DUR LTI, Sabre LTI, Reliant Mini Hauler LTI, kickstarter backer account with all the kickstarter perks, 54,000 credits.

Asking for a friend.
Ebay seems risky to me. I would either do a local, in person trade via Craigslist, or you can try here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

Look for posts marked "Black Market", those are account sales to give you an idea of how it works. I believe you can use verified traders as middle men if you want.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Asking for a friend.

Removed. I play often and in spite of what people say the game is filling out and there's plenty to do. 3.3 adds a massive planet, a bunch of more missions, and a few more moons. Things look up.

Buying and selling (or making offers)
is not allowed outside the 'For Sale' forum.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
7o1vgz4hjst11.jpg

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-c78SURpI&feature=youtu.be

3.3 is shaping up nicely. Still needs some time in the oven, but if anybody hasn't heard, they basically fixed the crappy FPS issue (OCS). I went from getting like 25-45 FPS to 85-130fps on same settings.

It's been awhile since I've installed. I think the last time I played the demo was early 2.X

What is your setup?

500 more to go.

To be fair, if they really nailed this planet, the subsequent 499 should be easier to make, yeah?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
To be fair, if they really nailed this planet, the subsequent 499 should be easier to make, yeah?
This 30 year old lesson referenced in an article on Star Control is far too apt

"The main war story that Paul and Fred lay out—one that deals with a programmer's desire to rely on generation and simulation wherever possible—works because it's kind of a timeless problem. You might hear the same thing from a developer today, and the solution would likely be the same now as it was then (that is, to realize that simulating the entirety of a planet's formation and evolution just to get some interesting scenery is probably more trouble than it's worth). It's an excellent design lesson, and rather like "don't touch a hot stove," it's one that most developers have to learn for themselves."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/video-how-star-control-ii-was-almost-a-much-more-boring-game/

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Well you can do free play this week if you so choose.

(But there is a reason there are two Star Citizen threads.)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
They still have work to do, but Hurston is f'n awesome.

Times change, no 30 year lesson to learn here. Glad they touched the 'hot stove' because they forged something incredible with that heat.

Hurston is gigantic, has various biomes, and is super fun to explore. The fact that it's constantly rotating in the game space and the available terrain is so vast means there's going to be an never ending stream of uniquely located and lit screen shots.

I don't think anybody hating on the game from the sidelines is going to fully understand what CIG has accomplished because they won't see the insane scale and technical achievement that something like Hurston is until they play it... which they won't do.

Reactions: rivethead

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6txZhihZlC4&

I saw the above video which made me want to look in on this game. How is it coming?

I'm still not willing to call it a "game" at this point. It's still a tech demo (to me). There are very basic game loops in the code. The biggest being you can find other players and shoot them (either in space or on the ground). You can transport cargo. You can do some go-fetch missions. You can mine minerals (with a certain ship most people don't have).

They've produced a massive gameplay map. And things are beautiful. So if you're into visuals, you'll probably be entertained.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
They still have work to do, but Hurston is f'n awesome.

I don't think anybody hating on the game from the sidelines is going to fully understand what CIG has accomplished because they won't see the insane scale and technical achievement that something like Hurston is until they play it... which they won't do.

A lot of us fully know what this "game" has accomplished.

Like waiting on the train?

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I was excited to play but disappointed at the state of the game. I saw NPC's standing in the skin position and not moving, just blinking, the whole game looks so dystopian it's just depressing and the flying was pretty boring and slow. Maybe another 12 years and another 200,000,000 dollars can get it to be an exciting and vibrant game without all the broken stuff....hope?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm still not willing to call it a "game" at this point. It's still a tech demo (to me). There are very basic game loops in the code. The biggest being you can find other players and shoot them (either in space or on the ground). You can transport cargo. You can do some go-fetch missions. You can mine minerals (with a certain ship most people don't have).

They've produced a massive gameplay map. And things are beautiful. So if you're into visuals, you'll probably be entertained.
Pretty much this. And there won't be a real gameplay loop until they go deep on economy sim.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I was excited to play but disappointed at the state of the game. I saw NPC's standing in the skin position and not moving, just blinking, the whole game looks so dystopian it's just depressing and the flying was pretty boring and slow. Maybe another 12 years and another 200,000,000 dollars can get it to be an exciting and vibrant game without all the broken stuff....hope?

It's only been six years. And they've increased development momentum exponentially. Come back in a year and the product will likely be MUCH different than what it is today. But it still might not be for you.

But the flight model, which you mentioned, will be completely different at the end of the first quarter of 2019 (patch 3.5).

Reactions: TechBoyJK