Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 292 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
You can put the tinfoil hat away buddy, the test was originally leaked by avocados and then confirmed by Sean.

I have my tinfoil hat placed firmly upon my head. So I will say the following:

Yes, the 60 players info was leaked by the evocati. And it was conveniently confirmed by Sean Tracy on a Newegg v-blog show. If you watch his face and listen to his voice when he answers that question, it's like he KNEW that question was going to be asked and he would get the opportunity to share great news to a wide audience. How did he know? Hmmmmmm....just in time for the anniversary sale too. It's almost too coincidental.

Regardless of marketing shenanigans, this is good news

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You can put the tinfoil hat away buddy, the test was originally leaked by avocados and then confirmed by Sean.
In last week's newsletter, they showed a screenshot as "proof" of game performace. If the 60 players test was that good they could have shown videos (with fps counters) instead. Guess why they did not.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
In last week's newsletter, they showed a screenshot as "proof" of game performace. If the 60 players test was that good they could have shown videos (with fps counters) instead. Guess why they did not.

there's a vid of it going around. I'll try and find it when I have more time.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Saw that. No framerate counter. And going by the eye, the framerate drops a lot at times.

If CIG wanted to release proper videos demonstrating that, they could.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
There was another video leaked today (now taken down), with a framerate counter. A group of players walking on Port Olisar's landing pads and later spawning some ships. When the player was looking at empty space, the framerate was above 40. When looking at objects and other players, framerate was at about 20, with drops as low as 3 fps.

Also, now we'll have big crates attached to our hands.

The game does not need more polish at this stage, it needs an angle grinder with a coarse disc.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
veYJVpB.jpg

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That video (but with lower resolution and lower quality) was re-uploaded here.

Edit:
Link taken down, too. That video did not support their narrative, I guess.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm missing something here. Most people agree that this a late 2018 game at the very most optimistic, with 2019 more likely and 2020 certainly in the running. As someone pointed out, we have yet to even see what one does in the game, beyond shoot at each other. Given that, isn't it a pretty positive sign that they are showing even halfway playable frame rates at this stage with thirty players on one server?

Reactions: TechBoyJK

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The main issue is the lack of progress. The 2.6 patch is live for almost a year now.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yes SC is an exercise in patience. Years and years and years of patience...so many years of patience and so many more years to go.
MqRU9Hw.png

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Yes SC is an exercise in patience. Years and years and years of patience...so many years of patience and so many more years to go.
MqRU9Hw.png

Yep, I was one of the original backers, well aware of the timeframe and that we’re still years away. Not seeing the issue.

Reactions: Red Storm

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You don't see the issue? Try to estimate how long it will take until they will make 100 Star Systems (each with a few planets and at least some planets with moons and/or space stations), all the already sold ships, all the missing gameplay mechanics (such as mining, piracy, repair, salvage, farming, outpost building, exploration, science) and Squadron 42.

Then also make an estimation for the required money for all these remaining years.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
MqRU9Hw.png
Holy crap! That's a long time and you still have at least one more year and quite possibly three or more to go.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You don't see the issue? Try to estimate how long it will take until they will make 100 Star Systems (each with a few planets and at least some planets with moons and/or space stations), all the already sold ships, all the missing gameplay mechanics (such as mining, piracy, repair, salvage, farming, outpost building, exploration, science) and Squadron 42.

Then also make an estimation for the required money for all these remaining years.

Having seen some of the tools in action and holding some years of experience in CryEngine myself, the point of their tools is that it will enable people to build out systems relatively quickly.

I'd wager once the basics are in place they could knock out a full star system with 12 moons and a 100 missions in about a week. Heck, they could probably build the basic system itself (minus missions and nuanced stuff) in an hour or so.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Until Techboy's Beyond 3.0 link I thought just the same, that any system developed in a week was going to suck such major ass (e.g. that barren planet with the big red crab) that even the most stalwart fanbois would have to admit it sucked. But this last tools demonstration really turned that around for me. I can see a few people turning out a system in a week or three, then a few more people adding specific interiors, NPCs, and content. Assuming the systems have been mapped out, I think this could easily be done in a year or two with fifty to a hundred graphic artists and programmers. I've no idea on the missing gameplay mechanics (hopefully they are in process) or single player. But the quality of the work and even more importantly the tools that I saw in that video convinces me that Roberts can raise enough capital to see it finished. Or if not, that someone else will pick up the pieces and finish it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Content is the easier part. Game mechanics and making them fun is the hard part. If CIG make a fun game and go live with ONE system, I'll be elated. More systems could be added later. Quality over quantity.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Content is the easier part. Game mechanics and making them fun is the hard part. If CIG make a fun game and go live with ONE system, I'll be elated. More systems could be added later. Quality over quantity.

Also this. I don’t want Elite Dangerous.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
If CIG make a fun game and go live with ONE system, I'll be elated

Honestly, I think that's what their obvious plan is. They've said many times they're going to flesh out Stanton to the point it's polished and fun before spreading out beyond it into new systems. IIRC CR said he wants 40+ hours of gameplay in Stanton alone before the missions become repetitive and you feel like you've explored it to the point of boredom.