Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 261 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
7KqDcaO.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Sounds like they plan on cutting the SCM speeds.....drastically, and decreasing slide (increasing acceleration). Not sure how I feel about that first part. It sounds like they're kind of catering to beginners (who typically don't have good throttle / strafe control......i.e., just set it to max speed and expect to be able to dogfight well). The fact they said they're lowering it because dogfight speeds are "intimidating" definitely makes me wonder.

Ah well - - I'm willing to try anything before really forming an opinion. They said their test group was "overwhelmingly positive" with the change. We'll see.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The test group must be overwhelmingly positive, otherwise they are excluded from said test group.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'd heard a few days ago that SCM speeds will be nerfed. I'm hoping that with slower speeds will feel more intimate.

Though, after piloting the Connie with a 155 max SCM, I'm a bit concerned in the ultimate outcome.

The test group must be overwhelmingly positive, otherwise they are excluded from said test group.

Source? Or still bitter?

Reactions: rivethead

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'd heard a few days ago that SCM speeds will be nerfed. I'm hoping that with slower speeds will feel more intimate.

Though, after piloting the Connie with a 155 max SCM, I'm a bit concerned in the ultimate outcome.

I'm guessing the SCM nerf won't be linear across the fleet - but more focused at dogfighters. Big ships are already slow - they would be absolute slugs if their SCM was cut in half.

I kind of feel like the SCM nerf is just going to hurt people who already know that blazing into an engagement at 350 m/s isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't know how to manage your throttle, but I think it's going to make disengaging from certain maneuvers more difficult and risky - - unless they plan on keeping the AB speeds high. For instance - when somebody tries to get me into a circle strafe (big no-no in a fragile 350R), I just AB to close the gap and either get into a knife-fight or get behind them. If I'm too slow to close the gap quickly enough with the new lower speeds, I'll just get shredded trying to disengage that way.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
They said they're cutting speeds in half because they want to have a more intimate dogfighting experience. Right now all those beautiful, detailed ships they have built are irrelevant in a dog fight because you're just aiming at a small dot within a small square.

While I get that (and agree), I don't see how speeds lead to closer combat. Maybe I'm just dumb. I would think that cutting weapons effective ranges way down would bring hulls closer together and give that more intimate feel they're going for....

But yeah, this seems like a dumbing down to appease the masses (so does that gimmicky arcady radar ping mechanic). This has always been a fear of mine....a niche space sim which should be hard to play and harder to master attracts way too much money and developer sees dollar signs and appeases the mass market.

I'll play it and see what happens.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
If I'm too slow to close the gap quickly enough with the new lower speeds, I'll just get shredded trying to disengage that way.

This is where mains-centric flying will come into play. In that situation, I would juke one direction with some afterburner, using those powerful main engines to change velocity. Before I had even let off that maneuver, I'd already be rotating towards a new vector and be ready to afterburn that direction, again with the mains providing the thrust.

Reactions: Stringjam

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
This is where mains-centric flying will come into play. In that situation, I would juke one direction with some afterburner, using those powerful main engines to change velocity. Before I had even let off that maneuver, I'd already be rotating towards a new vector and be ready to afterburn that direction, again with the mains providing the thrust.

This I can see. As long as I have precise, high acceleration directional control over my vector (decoupling will mean I can point my mains anywhere I want pretty quickly), I'll be cool. Like I said....I'll try it before forming an opinion. I just don't want to see the small / single-seat dogfighter reduced to ED. Small fighters have nothing going for them other than maneuverability. Take the Gladius. Can't log out with a bed....can't go long distance, can't do anything but....fight. These machines should be the F-15/16 low-tech scrappers of the fleet. They should be more capable than the pilot....push it too hard and pay the price. Master it and you'll take down much more powerful ships than you.

CIG is all about "Easy to play, hard to master." That's all I'm asking for. Give me a ship that can kill me if I push it past its limits, and don't know every inch of its vulnerabilities, but in return, if I master that beast - make it capable enough to take down Goliath.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
They said they're cutting speeds in half because they want to have a more intimate dogfighting experience. Right now all those beautiful, detailed ships they have built are irrelevant in a dog fight because you're just aiming at a small dot within a small square.

While I get that (and agree), I don't see how speeds lead to closer combat. Maybe I'm just dumb. I would think that cutting weapons effective ranges way down would bring hulls closer together and give that more intimate feel they're going for....

I agree. Weapon range is the biggest determining factor for engagement distance - NOT speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLU Aequitas

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
While I get that (and agree), I don't see how speeds lead to closer combat. Maybe I'm just dumb. I would think that cutting weapons effective ranges way down would bring hulls closer together and give that more intimate feel they're going for...

Latest RtV confirms they are cutting the weapon range down as well.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I hadn't finished AtV until now, but man I'm pretty excited about the UI updates too. Customizing ships for AC like that is a great idea. Looking pretty slick.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I hadn't finished AtV until now, but man I'm pretty excited about the UI updates too. Customizing ships for AC like that is a great idea. Looking pretty slick.

I'm still longing for more details on components and how we're going to swap them out, tweak, and overclock them. A long time ago, CR talked about how this would be a major part of the game play: configuring your hull. If it ends up being what we've heard/seen so far (four "tiers" of components, with drag/drop on a mobiglass screen), I think that'll be a disappointment to me. I wanted more depth. As with everything, we'll see.....

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Are we enjoying the swing commander sensor module in here? Come on commandos.

It's a bit meh, but it's a first pass and a minor piece intended for momentary range boosts for single seaters. It's not even an indication of the eventual exploration scanning mechanic, which is what I'm more interested in.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That's easy. It's a ww2 bomber gunners helmet. Chris is infatuated with ww2 in space. That's why all the "spaceships" go 500mph.

Malibutomi

Sep 25, 2016
That's easy. It's a ww2 bomber gunners helmet. Chris is infatuated with ww2 in space. That's why all the "spaceships" go 500mph.

Because gameplay wise its good.
I assume you would rather enjoy a more realistic space battle.
Like shooting rockets to dots on the radar 300 million miles away.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Apparently Evocati got their hands on 2.6 PTU Arena Commander this Monday. From the leaked information, there are big changes with SCM speeds (and with other aspects). I hope that we the Star Citizen peasants get to experiment with those when 2.6 goes live (they could reverse the changes by the time 2.6 goes live).
It turned out that it was not 2.6, but 2.5 with modified SCM values.