Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 260 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
To be fair, there have been some serious delays. If you've followed the project for a long time (as i know many of us have) how many times have you read "we're scrapping this process/engineering feature/what-have-you because it's not robust enough, this NEW method will carry us into the future! And then a year later, they end up scrapping that mechanic as well, because... it's not robust enough.
Don't get me wrong, this happens with every game it's just here its made visible for everyone to see. But there have definitely been delays. Just look at Star Marine. God, that's a cluster. Has the development been perfect? hellz no, there are definitely things they could have done better. But that's most projects.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
IMO, the single-player game should have been completed and sold, before the MMO work was started. I would've given money then.

That would have made things far worse and pushed the projects apart so much they no longer would have enjoyed the shared universe which is part of the appeal. Plus, it would have greatly skewed the development synergy between the games.

Fact is, they've been open about Star Citizen development and incredibly tight lipped about SQ42. But developing both is far, far more efficient in the long haul.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
To be fair, there have been some serious delays. If you've followed the project for a long time (as i know many of us have) how many times have you read "we're scrapping this process/engineering feature/what-have-you because it's not robust enough, this NEW method will carry us into the future! And then a year later, they end up scrapping that mechanic as well, because... it's not robust enough.
Don't get me wrong, this happens with every game it's just here its made visible for everyone to see. But there have definitely been delays. Just look at Star Marine. God, that's a cluster. Has the development been perfect? hellz no, there are definitely things they could have done better. But that's most projects.

Many of the delays were unavoidable and poised a very problematic 'sunk cost fallacy' that were due to obtaining the CryEngine source and realizing they could modify the engine to do what they wanted, where as they had previously been developing within the confines of Crytek's wholesale version of CryEngine. I applaud them for having the courage to abandon much of their work to pursue much more capable technology.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
That would have made things far worse and pushed the projects apart so much they no longer would have enjoyed the shared universe which is part of the appeal. Plus, it would have greatly skewed the development synergy between the games.

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you: I don't give a care about shared universes or "synergy". I only want a good, single-player focused space-fighting game with VR support. I don't care about online universes or mediocre MMOs, or anything else. I just want a solid space combat shooter with a well written storyline.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm going to be perfectly honest with you: I don't give a care about shared universes or "synergy". I only want a good, single-player focused space-fighting game with VR support. I don't care about online universes or mediocre MMOs, or anything else. I just want a solid space combat shooter with a well written storyline.

This complaint makes total sense. I really don't care about single player my self but I can understand the disappointment you have.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
This complaint makes total sense. I really don't care about single player my self but I can understand the disappointment you have.
Thank you. I'm just not interested in MMOs. The only ones I play are the ones that have solo content. I just don't like playing with other people, because they're universally terrible.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I don't get the hate.

I paid some money in 2014. It was $30. No sorry, $35 after I got the arena commander pass. I had some enjoyable moments flying my ship and fighting some computerized Vanndul in high fidelity graphics. I fired up Free Space 1 afterword, and I just couldn't go back to it. The graphics and chunkiness were too evident to me, now that I had moved on. At $35 I have already played and enjoyed this game more than some of the other games I bought for more, and/or <insert entertainment purchase here>.

It's clear that progress is being made. It's clear that we're being given content as they develop it. It's clear that they intend to push the boundaries of gaming; something there are MANY threads about here in AT PC Gaming. This is the risk we take to get something better than Assassin's Creed XXXVIII, and Call of Brody MMCDXX. For $35, you're not in? Even in 2016 where there's a community, several podcasts, and working alpha modules? What else could you possible need to see that this ball is rolling, and that this thing is going to happen? A handy from CR? "Aw no man, I read this article on Kotaku that says his hands are really rough."

Bruh. It's 35 bucks. Clam down.

Yeah I don't get it either. It's really... weird, I guess, to hate something so strongly for such little reason. I just don't understand it. It's like people want the game to fail spectacularly, as if it was responsible for killing their family and burning down their house. I dunno. I'll just continue living my life and play the game (I just got it) and if I don't end up liking it, well, like I said I can think of a lot of worse things to spend $60 dollars on; it's not the end of the world. And the people that go on and on and on criticizing it. I can't imagine the man-hours combined of people at their keyboards bitching about the game. LOL. Super fricking weird.

Which $60 package did you get?

You set up your axis and buttons from Options-Keybinding. Select Joystick/HOTAS on the second row and then Advanced Controls Customization.

For joystick bind yaw to X axis and pitch to Y axis. Bind roll to twist.

When you bind to an axis, bind for instance Pitch, not Pitch Up and Pitch Down.

When you bind to buttons or to HAT switch, bind one direction to a button (Strafe Left for instance) and the other (Strafe Right) to another button.

Use your throttle for Strafe Forward/Back, not as a throttle.

Bind Strafe Up/Down and Strafe Left/Right to a HAT switch or something (but control will be poor, since it will be on/off).

Make the same Pitch/Yaw/Roll/Strafe XYZ bindings for normal mode and for Decoupled Mode (there are separate).

When you bind something in Advanced Controls Customization, take note which number is assigned to your joystick (device). If no number is present, then that is Joystick/HOTAS 1. Maybe the throttle is seen as a separate device from the stick.

From Option-Control Options you invert an axis (most likely you will need to), set dead-zones, curves. Make sure you set the correct device (Joystick/HOTAS) number on the second row first.

Track IR does not work now in Star Citizen, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for the tips. I looked over the controls and as I figured there's a million of them. Rather than figuring out everything at once I'm just gonna jump in and go with the flow. The basic controls I think I have covered. No TrackIR support really sucks, wtf? So I gotta press a Freelock key to look around, I'm guessing? Bah. I figured any space/flight game would have TrackIR support since it goes hand-in-hand.

Join the AT Org, the link is above we're called the AT Ballers.
Techboy has quite the setup he can give a good overview of flight sticks

Thanks, I'll look it up and join!

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Freelook with mouse: press Z and use your mouse to look around (when you are in your pilot seat). Your joysticks (for those that are using them) are disabled when doing this (except roll).

Before 2.5.0 you could use a HAT switch to do the same thing (no need to press Z in this case), but they broke that in 2.5.0. Now, when using a HAT switch, you are very limited in how far you can turn your head and also you turn your head very slowly.

I've made a video for this bug (hoping it is a bug and not intentional):

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
92hetmzhwdox.jpg

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah I don't get it either. It's really... weird, I guess, to hate something so strongly for such little reason. I just don't understand it. It's like people want the game to fail spectacularly, as if it was responsible for killing their family and burning down their house. I dunno. I'll just continue living my life and play the game (I just got it) and if I don't end up liking it, well, like I said I can think of a lot of worse things to spend $60 dollars on; it's not the end of the world. And the people that go on and on and on criticizing it. I can't imagine the man-hours combined of people at their keyboards bitching about the game. LOL. Super fricking weird.

The biggest problem I have with this game is the same thing that simultantiously excites me: The depth. I have a new house, a family with young kids, and professional aspirations. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up (financially, or time spent) with the community. I'm totally going to be a filthy casual, as much as I would like to see myself as some untapped Top-Gun level fighter talent. Being underpowered/underskilled still wont stop me from the pure majesty of flying around a planet and landing on a space station overlooking some kind of nebula.

Looking forward to the awe. Fearful of mastering the meta.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
No TrackIR support really sucks, wtf? So I gotta press a Freelock key to look around, I'm guessing? Bah. I figured any space/flight game would have TrackIR support since it goes hand-in-hand.

It's coming. We had it for a while, but as the game evolved its compatibility was broken. They plan to bring it back, but it's not a high priority yet as other things that it might depend on are still fluid.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Looking forward to today's ATV. 2.6 flight model changes are supposed to be discussed. Hopefully in detail.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Looking forward to today's ATV. 2.6 flight model changes are supposed to be discussed. Hopefully in detail.

I'm kind of nervous about this one. I just hope we're not going to see a big mav thruster nerf in favor of ED-style flight.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm kind of nervous about this one. I just hope we're not going to see a big mav thruster nerf in favor of ED-style flight.

ED's model is much more than a mav nerf. Their ridiculous speed vs turning rate nonsense is one of the biggest faults, along with the crippled yaw. You know my stance. I'm fine with a mav nerf if it means we get more mains-centric maneuvering.

Though, they need to bring back TrackIR sooner than later in that case. Having to rotate further to change direction will make keeping eyes on target harder, but it will break the "turrets in space" we have now which is a step in the right direction.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Having to rotate further to change direction will make keeping eyes on target harder, but it will break the "turrets in space" we have now which is a step in the right direction.

I have no idea where it will end up, but if some of the recent rotation and thruster edits (especially the Gladius) are any indication of where they're pointed, it looks to me like they're heading back more to pre-2.0 maneuverability. Of course, I would be very happy with 1.3 attributes, but for those fans of mains-centric flight like yourself, it would be very disappointing.

One group or the other is not going to get what they want - - it's just an impossible proposition for CIG.