Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 223 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm staying out of the PTU thanks to my data cap. I hope they can work out some of the FPS issues in Crusader, or that the LIVE servers can handle it better.

I've heard mixed reports on whether or not they've made progress on desync.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That is one of the few things better here: no data caps on land/fixed internet connections (only on mobile).

I played a little in PTU 2.4.0t:
- Aurora LN ship is spawned with lights on in the SelfLand hangar (don't have other ships or other hangars to test);
- some texture flicker on the ship;
- ship cockpit view is slightly zoomed in and when rotating the mouse wheel to zoom out, it zooms out completely for a second, then snaps to the same zoom; can zoom in with no problems and zoom back out, but only to that point;
- some short freezes;
- a few infinite loading screens and a few "no destination available from location" when loading Universe;
- one game crash (black screen, no error);
- when on foot, in 3rd person view with free look, in some places you can get the camera to be upside down;
- I bought some clothes and after the game crash I was not equipped in them, but when I went to Casaba store I could equip them for free (the ones already bought) - I guess that is how it works for now;
- started with 2750 aUEC;
- got 1000 aUEC for restarting a Comm Array station;
- can only change weapons, missiles, power plants, coolers;
- can not change engine, shields;
- better LOD;
- you can walk away from the Port Olisar terminals now, without pressing F;
- can't interact at all with the ship displays now (for instance to change weapon groupings); the mouse cursor appears, but it does nothing when I click; maybe it is done differently than in PU (not just different keys)?

Since I had to re-do the keybindings anyway, I switched left and right joysticks to see how it is (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is now right joystick and T.16000M is left joystick). Now I need to re-adjust.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Since I had to re-do the keybindings anyway, I switched left and right joysticks to see how it is (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is now right joystick and T.16000M is left joystick). Now I need to re-adjust.

I'm assuming then that they fixed the strafe-stick bug? Last time I was in there (pretty early in the letter iteration) I would free-look when strafing, so it was pretty much unplayable with the stick.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I am not sure what are you asking. About the bug that changes (rotates) your view from the cockpit? Or about using free look?

I tried free look once and did not work for me (when in the pilot seat). It seems to be activated with Z now, instead of Left Alt.

I am using look left/right/up/down assigned to one HAT to look around when flying (I do the same in 2.3.1).

Edit:
Loaded the game again. Now free look works when I am in the pilot seat. I can use free look and strafe at the same time (if that was your question).

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I am not sure what are you asking. About the bug that changes (rotates) your view from the cockpit? Or about using free look?

I tried free look once and did not work for me (when in the pilot seat). It seems to be activated with Z now, instead of Left Alt.

I am using look left/right/up/down assigned to one HAT to look around when flying (I do the same in 2.3.1).

Edit:
Loaded the game again. Now free look works when I am in the pilot seat. I can use free look and strafe at the same time (if that was your question).

The issue was actually analog strafe controls. When using my strafe stick, strafing any direction would activate free-look to also look in that direction at the same time, even though free-look was not mapped to those controls.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Another observation: this PTU 2.4.0t seems to use more RAM than PU 2.3.1. About 1GB more in my case. I may have to buy more RAM (I have 8GB now).

The issue was actually analog strafe controls. When using my strafe stick, strafing any direction would activate free-look to also look in that direction at the same time, even though free-look was not mapped to those controls.

It is clear now what are you asking. This never happened to me, yet.

I get:
ACCESS DENIED

There are currently no active PTU test phases or your account is not authorized.

When you get that error? When you click that link or when you click on the button "Copy account to PTU" that should be visible on that page from the link?

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Another observation: this PTU 2.4.0t seems to use more RAM than PU 2.3.1. About 1GB more in my case. I may have to buy more RAM (I have 8GB now).

It is clear now what are you asking. This never happened to me, yet.

When you get that error? When you click that link or when you click on the button "Copy account to PTU" that should be visible on that page from the link?

http://i.imgur.com/ZdmS9xn.png

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Your Star Citizen launcher has the Live/PTU toggle?

k2iPSNc.png

This is the first time I have access to any PTU so maybe something is different for those that had PTU access before (if that is your case).

How that link looks in my case:

vve4RjE.png

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The PTU option is grayed out on the website. When I get home, I'll check the launcher - maybe I have to activate it there first.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The PTU option is grayed out on the website. When I get home, I'll check the launcher - maybe I have to activate it there first.

If you haven't played in a while, I'd delete the entire package and re download, and then verify the files.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yesterday the PTU option in the website was greyed out for me, too.

The PTU option in the launcher only appeared after I copied the account to PTU and got the PTU password in an e-mail.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
If you haven't played in a while, I'd delete the entire package and re download, and then verify the files.

It's been a while, but I run the launcher every so often and it hasn't needed to update, so I might be ok. If it still acts up or doesn't appear to be working properly, I'll redownload it all. Thanks!

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Next Friday: Drake Dragonfly concept sale - $35.

Much more expensive than expected by me (same value as Aurora LN).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Next Friday: Drake Dragonfly concept sale - $35.

Much more expensive than expected by me (same value as Aurora LN).

I'm actually pretty stoked to see this thing, but I'm hoping it's small....as in, motorcycle small like they're leading us to believe. If the thing comes out and is the size of a Merlin, I probably won't be interested.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Can I not buy the Reliant Core right now? Or did I miss a sale but it's just now coming to the PU?

I think it was last on sale in November, which is when I got it. It'll go on sale again when 2.4 hits.

It's been a while, but I run the launcher every so often and it hasn't needed to update, so I might be ok. If it still acts up or doesn't appear to be working properly, I'll redownload it all. Thanks!

FYI you don't have to go to the website at all for the PTU. If you click the "gear" at the top right of the launcher, there will be an option to copy your account to the PTU from there.

Though, it may be that yours is just really out of date.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I don't think I had that option until I copied the PTU from the website.

But does not matter anymore, 2.4.0 went live.

Rented ships can be placed in the hangar (because you need a way to modify their loadouts), but can not be used in the PU anymore.

Rented weapons and components can still be used in the PU.

Pirates are very easy to kill now.

RAM usage went back to 2.3.1 levels for me.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Can I not buy the Reliant Core right now? Or did I miss a sale but it's just now coming to the PU?

Reliant Kore is now on sale for $65 (same price as 315P and Mustang Delta; Reliant Tana is also $65, but not on sale and will probably have a price increase when it will be again on sale). Other Reliant versions are not on sale.

CCU from 315P to Reliant Kore are $0. 315P is always on sale, so I took a few of there CCU, just in case.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Reliant Kore is now on sale for $65 (same price as 315P and Mustang Delta; Reliant Tana is also $65, but not on sale and will probably have a price increase when it will be again on sale). Other Reliant versions are not on sale.

CCU from 315P to Reliant Kore are $0. 315P is always on sale, so I took a few of there CCU, just in case.

Is this something that only happens during the 'testing/beta' phases or will they continue to sell ships for $ when it becomes live?

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
They say that once the game is released, they will no longer sell ships for real money, only for in-game currency (UEC).

But you will still be able to buy UEC with real money (with certain limits per day and for the total amount). So this is at least a little worrying.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
After almost 10 weeks of not being able to play a game because of shoulder surgery on my right arm (i am right handed), I finally got my gaming rig setup somewhat and was able to get logged into the PU this weekend.

here's a pic of my rig. 4790k i7/gtx970 +(2) T16000M's

Xw1YwnL.jpg

I tried importing my keybindings from backup, but it didn't go so well. I ended up spending several hours messing around with keybindings. I still don't have them quite to where they were before 2.4, but I at least got it playable. I haven't messed with getting the tablets to work. I'm assuming the roccat grids are going to need some tlc since they're all mapped to 2.3.

My Avenger is still pretty buggy. I still easily glitched out of it when trying to take the pilot seat. My head always gets kinda stuck in the roof.

I absolutely loved the musical changes! The new music is very good.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
My Avenger is still pretty buggy. I still easily glitched out of it when trying to take the pilot seat. My head always gets kinda stuck in the roof.

I absolutely loved the musical changes! The new music is very good.

I have a feeling the Avenger will get fixed when they implement direct cockpit entry.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I hope so. It's been kind of a nuisance for a long time.

Yup. Crouch. Always crouch when inside the Avenger. It's a pain, but it keeps the glitching down.

As for me, my 2.4 experience was minimal. Friday night...endless loading screens. Saturday....endless loading screens. Sunday morning...got into PO....got my ship...QD to Yela to look for salvage for aUEC....and immediately crashed to desktop.

Alpha code!