Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 252 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I like the M50. The 350R not so much. It was super buggy and crashed the game a few times. M50 flew without issue. I like that it's a small, fast, single seater.

Can it compete with the Avenger with weaponry? If the M50 goes on sale, I might melt my Avenger for it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I like the M50. The 350R not so much. It was super buggy and crashed the game a few times. M50 flew without issue. I like that it's a small, fast, single seater.

Can it compete with the Avenger with weaponry? If the M50 goes on sale, I might melt my Avenger for it.

It can work if you are very patient. You get two S2 guns (which look massive on it, IMO). Thing about the M50 is that it is about the hardest thing out there for your opponent to hit - I think even more-so than a Merlin. I hate fighting them in AC, and more often than not I don't engage.

I'm sad to hear the 350R is buggy (I haven't had time to log into 2.5 yet). Aside from the floating hands thing that popped up every now and then, it was pretty spot-on in 2.4. They fixed the bucking and it had awesome acceleration and speed. You also get 2x S2 + an S3 on the nose, which is a more powerful load-out than a Gladius. It's pretty much the best 300 series ship for dogfighting, oddly enough.

I think in the end, the M50 will likely end up a pure racer - and CR has gone back and forth on whether or not it will even be QD capable (it currently is). I think the M50 is the most fun ship to fly. I hope it stays QD / jump capable.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
With the 350R, I loved the way it looked.

But from first spawning it.. I had issues.

1) Whenever I would get in, I would climb the ladder about 3ft closer to the ship than the ladder.. which would clip me into the bottom of the ship and offcenter. Ok.. no big deal.. but that seemed to throw off everyting in the cabin and was basically a buggy mess just getting into the seat.

2) I kept crashing out when trying to get to Grim Hex. I would leave Olisar, QD to Yela.. and about 14 seconds later.. crash. Couldn't make it passed that. Tried 3 times then went back to the M50 which I was able to fly without issue.

3) Like the avenger, the the 350R has an internal cabin with a physic grid. The M50 does not. I know in a recent bugsmashers they mentioned giving every ship a physic grid just so every ship had one and they didn't have to code for whether or not a physics grid even existed, much less how to deal with it. I wonder if the experience between the M50 and the 350R comes down to the physics grids (or lack thereof).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I typically haven't been too excited about Star Marine coming out (not hating on it, just that it doesn't give me the fizz), but watching this Bug Smashers really got me interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igUL5WHPZgg

I have lots of fizz over Star Marine - not so much because I'm into MP FPS anymore, but I understand it's finally going to give a chance to see the real FPS mechanics they've been working on (and get to spend time with them without the typical spawn / fly / land at Kareah / get shot in the door routine).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I now spawn with my weapon's iron sights attached to my leg. It's persistent.

Probably an Item Port bug. You're supposed to be able to attach backup weapons/items, etc. to your suit. I wonder if that's what's happening. It's locking onto an item port location on your suit rather than being activated properly.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I now spawn with my weapon's iron sights attached to my leg. It's persistent.

I've had the same thing happening. I feel it started ever since I bought and switched to the nicer RSI suit. I'm sure it'll be fixed when the 2.6 code he's been working on drops. I'm sure there's a LOT different in it with Star Marine coming with it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Watched the latest AtV. Gotta say, the character detail is just crazy. Also - they're actively working on the Aquila...so, yay.

I don't have much interest in the Cat, but it looks like that thing can't be far from the hangar.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I've had the same thing happening. I feel it started ever since I bought and switched to the nicer RSI suit. I'm sure it'll be fixed when the 2.6 code he's been working on drops. I'm sure there's a LOT different in it with Star Marine coming with it.
I bought another weapon (the energy rifle) and that lost it's sights too - it became attached to armor's leg (outlaw medium armour), replacing (on the leg) the iron sights from the ballistic rifle.

Then I bought the other medium armour and while both rifles were still missing their sights, they were no longer attached to the armour's leg (new armour).

Changing back to the outlaw medium armor I have the sights from the energy rifle attached to my leg again.

So it seems that this bug could be related to certain suits/armours.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Watched the latest AtV. Gotta say, the character detail is just crazy. Also - they're actively working on the Aquila...so, yay.

I don't have much interest in the Cat, but it looks like that thing can't be far from the hangar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cat was hangar-ready in 2.6 and flyable in 3.0. Having it flyable in 3.0 and having cargo in 3.0 could be really big as far as game play goes.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Which AT Baller has the Ballers ship list PDF?
I think its time to update it

I had been maintaining a list here in the thread, but have since dropped the ball on it. I should've transferred it to an excel sheet.

In other news, here's another look at the Aquila's cockpit:

aquila_cockpit.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
aquila_cockpit.jpg

CIG loves their struts. Can't say I'm really that happy with it, but it's okay. I'm actually more interested in what they're going to do with the rest of the ship to truly make it an explorer. I plan to spend a lot of time in here.

Feb 4, 2009
I had been maintaining a list here in the thread, but have since dropped the ball on it. I should've transferred it to an excel sheet.

aquila_cockpit.jpg

Is this a volunteer to create the list of awesomeness again?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
CIG loves their struts. Can't say I'm really that happy with it, but it's okay. I'm actually more interested in what they're going to do with the rest of the ship to truly make it an explorer. I plan to spend a lot of time in here.

Well, more to the point, RSI likes their struts. Struts on canopies is part of the RSI style guide, so it's just part of what the Constellation is. In lore, supposedly RSI ships have the toughest canopies around. I'm a bit more irritated that the little curved bits in the center curve inward rather than outward like the original Aquila model. Seems more functional the original way. Other than that, I'm quite stoked about it. As for what makes it an explorer, I'm sure they'll do everything the Aquila was sold as. Extended range tanks, sensor suite, Ursa rover, and fancy canopy.

Do you have an Aquila? For some reason I thought you had skipped it.

Is this a volunteer to create the list of awesomeness again?

Sure. If people want to start listing I'll put it in Excel this time. Can generate some fleet views from it, which was my original idea.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Well, more to the point, RSI likes their struts. Struts on canopies is part of the RSI style guide, so it's just part of what the Constellation is. In lore, supposedly RSI ships have the toughest canopies around. I'm a bit more irritated that the little curved bits in the center curve inward rather than outward like the original Aquila model. Seems more functional the original way. Other than that, I'm quite stoked about it. As for what makes it an explorer, I'm sure they'll do everything the Aquila was sold as. Extended range tanks, sensor suite, Ursa rover, and fancy canopy.

Fellow Aquila owner. I'm an explorer at heart....no way I could skip that. ;)

I like all this attention they're giving to exploration - Terrapin, Aquila, indications that the Carrack is next in line after the CAT. I'm hoping for all the great exploration things.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Sure. If people want to start listing I'll put it in Excel this time. Can generate some fleet views from it, which was my original idea.

Thanks Sabre. But I would suggest we wait a month. Citizencon is rumored to be bringing with it Org 2.0 elements. And it wouldn't surprise me if CIG automates Org fleet lists (or makes it easier to generate) with this new/additional/exciting org functionality.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Fellow Aquila owner. I'm an explorer at heart....no way I could skip that. ;)

I like all this attention they're giving to exploration - Terrapin, Aquila, indications that the Carrack is next in line after the CAT. I'm hoping for all the great exploration things.

Yeah, I must be thinking of one of my friends at work. I love all my explorers, personally. I can't wait to see the Aquila complete then sneak peaks of the Carrack.

Thanks Sabre. But I would suggest we wait a month. Citizencon is rumored to be bringing with it Org 2.0 elements. And it wouldn't surprise me if CIG automates Org fleet lists (or makes it easier to generate) with this new/additional/exciting org functionality.

Fair enough. Hopefully they do something neat along those lines. It's certainly popular to be able to view all the ships at once in a fleet.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
So, I was reading through the 300i series feedback page again, and the OP has added some things. It's a really good read, with lots of great input. If CIG implemented half of it, it would be a cool ship. The below image really struck me with its potential. "Sleek killer" from the sale page really does fit, finally:

Good read:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...he-300-series-a-resource-for-the-designers/p1

Yeah - there's a lot of improvement to be had since this is one of the earlier designs. I mean - half the ship is engine, there could be SO much more interior room and options by trimming that thing up.