Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 251 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I also have an Xbox 360 controller (besides the two joysticks and the steering wheel with pedals) and I had no problems with that. I no longer use the Xbox 360 controller in Star Citizen, but it is there.

Strangely, I have problems in Borderlands 2 with my joysticks. That game insists in using my joysticks and I have to unplug all of them (including the wheel).

Last edited:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
thanks for all of the info. it's a lot to digest but i'll play around with it since i'm off tomorrow and friday plus the holiday.

i also ordered the flight pedals so will add that into the mix when it gets here Friday.

Dam August was one hell of an expensive month. :eek:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
thanks for all of the info. it's a lot to digest but i'll play around with it since i'm off tomorrow and friday plus the holiday.

i also ordered the flight pedals so will add that into the mix when it gets here Friday.

Dam August was one hell of an expensive month. :eek:

It's totally worth it! I remember when I first pledged I just flew with M/KB for quite awhile - and I was sort of "well, this is fun."

Then I got the sticks / pedals and the fun factor went WAY up. I also stopped flying my ship like an airplane and started flying it like a spaceship. Being able to blend and control your thruster output instead of just binary on/off adjustments gives you so much more precision for controlling your ship.

Here's a short little recording I made just after getting my HOSAS - practicing some basic flight around Kareah just to get used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIlnpwdFbDA

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Awesome DEV update on RSI forums about how they're dealing with HUD/MFD issues in 2.5

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/343796/addressing-hud-mfd-feedback

Cliffs: Looks like a visor toggle is coming. Helmet visors will get 2 slots that can display ship info.

Interested to see what they come up with (I'm guessing the pitch ladder element would be for atmosphere....hope it's not on while in space flight).

I just hope they keep in mind that visibility and quick acquisition of important data are key - not making it look fancy. That's one reason I love the 2D radar and despise the radar globe.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That image is made during atmospheric flight. You can see the ground and the horizon. The HUD will probably change into "atmospheric mode" only when appropriate. Otherwise it would be stupid.

HcDjQDZ.jpg

One thing that I do not like is those weapon bars (more exactly, I do not like where they put them). The PIPs will frequently be in that area and you will not see them.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I like the weapon bars. They're not totally opaque so you can see through them. And, let's be honest, this is a 6DoF game. No one is forcing you to pitch up to chase someone down. The way they have them puts me in mind of the weapon indicators in the old X-Wing games.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
The bars are partly transparent, but the writing seems to be not.

Transparency will also made them hard to see in certain situations.

Regarding pitching or yawing: it depends on the ship. In a Reliant for instance yaw is very restricted (in flight mode). You have to use pitch.

Also, while you can use strafe up/down and left/right for minor aiming adjustments, for bigger ones you need to rotate your ship. So you have to also use yaw/pitch or both.

In a Super Hornet you can have 5 weapons, so it will have 5 weapon bars. In a Mustang Delta you could put 6 weapons - so 6 weapon bars. Buccaneer can also have 6 weapons.

It seems they will use too much space almost in the middle of your view (that image is zoomed in).

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
One thing that I do not like is those weapon bars (more exactly, I do not like where they put them). The PIPs will frequently be in that area and you will not see them.

I don't like them stacking stuff up in the middle / center of the screen, either. Keeping all of that info on the peripheral makes the most sense to me - - I don't need to see big heat bars for all of my weapons right in the middle of the screen. That's stuff that can be made smaller and pushed to the side of the HUD where it will never interfere with the PIP. I'm a big proponent of keeping as much screen clutter out of that central focus range as possible.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
New AtV is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQAuH6a0aZw

Miki's an interesting girl.

Lots of interesting footage of the Ursa and the Dragonfly planetside. Item System also looks like it's coming along. So glad they're actually showing stuff they're working on now in AtV instead of just talking about it.....excellent show this time around!

Mici seems like a decent host.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm super stoked about the Ursa and Dragonfly now. Their solution to getting the Ursa in the Constellation is inventive and reassuring as I always was a but worried about that.

Planetary environments are really looking good too.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Good ATV, I particularly liked the derelict bits, especially on that sand planet.

Link to derelict highlights video. Other fun notes but at around 13:55 of the full ATV there's a derelict Cutlass orbiting what looks to be a habitable world (river, green goodness). If it's not merely a backdrop, it would lend credence to the rumors that Citizencon will show off "V2" of the planetary tech (supposedly ground cover/foliage/water).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
From this AtV, people are jumping to some conclusions on cargo. And some of those conclusions are worrisome to me. I don't want "insta" cargo loading via handwavium magic. I'm hoping this is just for the 3.0 implementation while they figure out a different method and balance between realism and tedium.

Hopefully the RtV today will offer clarification.

Feb 4, 2009
From this AtV, people are jumping to some conclusions on cargo. And some of those conclusions are worrisome to me. I don't want "insta" cargo loading via handwavium magic. I'm hoping this is just for the 3.0 implementation while they figure out a different method and balance between realism and tedium.

Hopefully the RtV today will offer clarification.

Easy give it a count down until it loads, like 3 hours game time. Move your ship and you loose the cargo. Unloading could be move some pallets to a boxed in area provided you can push/pull things in game or have a timer like loading.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I'm fine with some hand waving, having to individually inspect and carry over cargo during a heist or salvage op sounds dreadful. Same deal with trading, waiting for 30 minutes before I can make my next trade because I need to watch npcs load my ship makes me sad.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm fine with some hand waving, having to individually inspect and carry over cargo during a heist or salvage op sounds dreadful. Same deal with trading, waiting for 30 minutes before I can make my next trade because I need to watch npcs load my ship makes me sad.

But my argument is this: if they make this game correctly, you'll have the option to wait. OR the option to go do something else exciting and fun. Like another mission, go back to your hangar to tweak a component or do repairs, run an errand to pick up a new cooler in another system, go to a bar or Jobwell to pick up your next job or information, or just go to EA to play AC or SM for some skill practice, etc., etc., etc....basically the living, breathing universe we were promised.

If they just handwave, they don't give us the option. They've made the choice for us. And it's an immersion reducing choice.

I mean what's more fun: waiting for your 'lancer to be loaded with guns for rebels and hearing over the comms that said rebels are under attack (immediately adding tension and urgency to the gameplay) OR handwavium your 'lancer is loaded with guns are you're immediately on your way?

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
For small ships, I think that I prefer manual loading/unloading of cargo, where you carry boxes or small containers around (by hand or using a forklift type of machine - or some "force field" device).

But for a ship like Hull D they could implement some automatic loading/unloading of those big containers. Ssuch as a pump if they are filled with liquid. Or a smaller ship that takes one container at a time. Something like that.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
For small ships, I think that I prefer manual loading/unloading of cargo, where you carry boxes or small containers around (by hand or using a forklift type of machine - or some "force field" device).

But for a ship like Hull D they could implement some automatic loading/unloading of those big containers. Ssuch as a pump if they are filled with liquid. Or a smaller ship that takes one container at a time. Something like that.

The large containers used on the Hull D and Hull E supposedly have their own thrusters so they can fly themselves from a Hull A/B (which picks them up at port and carries them to space) over to a Hull D/E (which is way too big to land anywhere).

We'll see if that really happens.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I think the handwavium is just for now. They're clearly developing grabby hands and they talked about loading and unloading your own cargo (or pay port dogs a fee) for a long time. They're probably still working on the pallet jack devices.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
M50 and 350R are free to fly (for the backers) until next Friday (September 9).

And they added a vote for which to be on sale the week after that.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
yeah that RTV was great. Nathan's info regarding wrecked ships & how they fit into the proc gen stuff was awesome.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
M50 and 350R are free to fly (for the backers) until next Friday (September 9).

And they added a vote for which to be on sale the week after that.

I love both of those ships. Interested to see what happens with the 350R during the 300x rework.