Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Nice. They made that effect only on Gladius or on all ships in 2.2?

I think it's just the Gladius at the moment. I haven't noticed any difference on others. They've been using the Gladius as a test bed for a few things tech related since it came out.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I started building my DIY elCheaPo Star Citizen Control Center this weekend. I got most of it done, and am just waiting on the 3 10" tablet holders to setup the wireless MFD's (multiFunctionDisplay).

I wanted something I could quickly disconnect, as well as something that would keep the joysticks locked in position. I wired everything into a small USB3 Hub that sits under the unit. This way I can just plugin a single USB cable and it powers everything up, plus everything is locked in and stabilized. I'm eventually going to get a nice gaming chair and move this control unit over so it sits in front of my 50" TV. Just really need to get a cheap, adjustable table to set it on.

https://imgur.com/a/C9RNB

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Wouldn't that bring the joysticks a little to high and uncomfortable to use for longer gaming sessions?

Or it will sit lower in the final setup?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Wouldn't that bring the joysticks a little to high and uncomfortable to use for longer gaming sessions?

Or it will sit lower in the final setup?

I have to raise my chair up a bit for it, but it's fine. Ultimately I want to move it to a small, adjustable table that I can set out in front of my big screen tv. This is why I'm putting in the wireless keyboard with touchpad.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I think that I would aim for a position on which my elbows are at 90 degrees. And maybe with some armrests.

Would your design allow that 90 degrees position? It does not look that it would. Be careful not to put too much work into it, if you did not test that the position is comfortable to use. Or maybe you tested it.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yesterday I played for the first time in Squadron Battle mode (only played Battle Royale until now) and in my second match I had an unexpected victory with my team (unexpected because in Battle Royale I usually rank around the middle or worse):
bOYhsQu.jpg

Played with my Aurora LN, with a pair of Badgers and a pair of Longswords and with four Tempest II missiles (also for the first time using these missiles, instead of Dominator II).

Got 3197 REC for that. Previously, the most REC that I got for one Battle Royale match was 2014.

Last edited:

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
The last time I logged in with my little aurora, it was December 2014. I only ever did Vanduul swarm a few times, and was generally only successful when they started letting people try out the super hornet. It's a huge difference between the two ships to be sure.

Looking around, as awesome as this game sounds, it's starting to sound pretty intimidating. I've never gone vs another live player...and I feel now like I'd get rolled by some guy in a connie with a $500 peripheral setup.

This is a game I want to get into, but I guess now I need to play catchup. In the best interests of not putting the rest of my fellow ballers to shame, does anybody have any advice on where to start to get back in the game?

Feb 4, 2009
The last time I logged in with my little aurora, it was December 2014. I only ever did Vanduul swarm a few times, and was generally only successful when they started letting people try out the super hornet. It's a huge difference between the two ships to be sure.

Looking around, as awesome as this game sounds, it's starting to sound pretty intimidating. I've never gone vs another live player...and I feel now like I'd get rolled by some guy in a connie with a $500 peripheral setup.

This is a game I want to get into, but I guess now I need to play catchup. In the best interests of not putting the rest of my fellow ballers to shame, does anybody have any advice on where to start to get back in the game?

Same here I haven't flown too much

and....
Join the AT Organization The AT Ballers here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

just let us know you Star Citizen name in this thread

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

My advice to learning to fly is to start in free flight. Flight in this game is very dependent on you effectively utilizing your 6DoF. Learn to strafe, run decoupled, use boost/afterburner, etc. Once you're comfortable really throwing your ship around, then jump into Vanduul Swarm. Make it an online match so you can see how others perform. From there, move on to a squadron battle so you have teammates against other players. And, once you're comfortable there, you can move on to straight battle royal where it's just free for all. Also consider just going to Crusader and flying around. Much more a mixed bag of experiences and it will teach you to transition from one style of flying to another.

Also, check out this video series:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8BRdZAUoJT6ZCy-6f_shXA/playlists

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
If you really want to learn how to fly in the game, you can adapt pretty quick.

I fell in love with the game right away, and spent about 2 weeks learning as much as possible, including keybindings, etc. After the dust settled, I was winning BR matches and giving everyone a hard time.

That said, it does take some effort. I haven't had a fire to learn something so quick in several years and really just immersed myself in it.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks gents.

I enjoyed the little bit of AC I did back in 2014. The visuals and effects instantly inspired awe in me, the likes of which I haven't felt since I was a child. Given that it wasn't complete I stepped away for a bit and got consumed by life.

Now that things have a progressed a bit more I'm ready to jump in again. I just want to make sure I know how to hold my own. It would be tragic to swear off a magnificent game because I got schooled by too many basement dwellers.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I highly recommend acquiring 2 T16000M joysticks. They're about $50 each. I bought 2 from Best Buy on sale for $39 each.

It completely changes the level of immersion that you'll feel. Especially with a ship that is setup as dual sticks, like the Avenger.

Here's some pics of the mount I made for mine.

https://imgur.com/a/C9RNB

Here's a vid that shows me playing with the sticks (prior to the mount I made). I still very noob'ish at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7C-nptrPU

Here's a kill reel I made after getting used to the sticks and the controls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGa2fprSTNQ

For less than $100 you can turn this into a very immersive setup that will make it far more fun than using a controller or keyboard and mouse and I think the money spent makes the investment into the game that much more worthwhile.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I just want to make sure I know how to hold my own. It would be tragic to swear off a magnificent game because I got schooled by too many basement dwellers.

I worry about this a lot. Not only "basement dwellers" but other players with more robust control schemes and tools (voice attack, VR, dual sticks, pedals, the works).

But I've come to the realization that space is BIG. This game is going to be BIG in terms of play space (no pun intended).

Right now everyone in being forced into a small space (Crusader, Arena Commander) and thus player interactions aren't really representative of what the final game might bring.

One other thing....rather than jumping from Free Flight to Vanduul Swarm like Sabre mentions, I usually recommend one step in between: fly some races in Old Vanderval. Racing forces you to become a better pilot without the need to worry about getting shot at.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I worry about this a lot. Not only "basement dwellers" but other players with more robust control schemes and tools (voice attack, VR, dual sticks, pedals, the works).

VoiceAttack is like $8-10 join the master-race :D

It is also useful for many other games, not just StarCitizen, but obviously the more complex control elements a game has, the more useful VoiceAttack is for the game.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

But I've come to the realization that space is BIG. This game is going to be BIG in terms of play space (no pun intended).

Right now everyone in being forced into a small space (Crusader, Arena Commander) and thus player interactions aren't really representative of what the final game might bring.

One other thing....rather than jumping from Free Flight to Vanduul Swarm like Sabre mentions, I usually recommend one step in between: fly some races in Old Vanderval. Racing forces you to become a better pilot without the need to worry about getting shot at.

I take it you've never played Eve Online...I am guessing this game will have more people. Space isn't as big as you think. Only takes 1 annoying person to ruin your day :)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

It is also useful for many other games, not just StarCitizen, but obviously the more complex control elements a game has, the more useful VoiceAttack is for the game.

Plus a mic. :)

(or if you're me...a mic and a motherboard...I've never gotten a mic to work with my computer...I think the analog jack is blown or something).

But I really meant to say track IR.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
What am I supposed to buy to get started in this game? Just the $45 squadron 42 pledge? Can I play with a game pad? Is the subscription necessary?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Best $8 I've ever spent. I can't believe he doesn't charge more for it.

Damn fine suggestion. Easy gimme REC too.

But I really meant to say track IR.

They have to get it working again. I'm curious to see which one will be more useful. I have a Vive on the way and I have TrackIR sitting and waiting to be used. I could use it in Elite, but that game is too boring to jump back into without my Vive being here. TrackIR alone isn't enough. They really need to put some emphasis on TrackIR.

When it worked, TrackIR was a powerful tool in SC.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
What am I supposed to buy to get started in this game? Just the $45 squadron 42 pledge?

There's two games here. The first is Squadron 42, a single player campaign (the first in a trilogy) to be released later this year or potentially early next year. Then there is Star Citizen which is the MMO component looking at a late 2017 maybe early 2018 release. Either is $45, but you can add the other for $15 and get both.

Can I play with a game pad?

For flying, yes. Though I would say it's far from ideal. You'd be better off with a mouse for flying, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm not sure if it can be used for walking around.

Is the subscription necessary?

No, the subscription is a way for people to help fund the production of content for people to watch during the development process. Check out their Youtube channel for examples of what it's for. It's totally optional.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
What am I supposed to buy to get started in this game? Just the $45 squadron 42 pledge? Can I play with a game pad? Is the subscription necessary?

There are two games being developed: Star Citizen (persistent universe, multiplayer) and Squadron 42 (single player campaign).

For $60 you can get both. For $45 you can get Star Citizen. I don't believe they're selling Squadron 42 as a standalone game (but will soon).

Gamepad is supported but isn't very popular. Most play with keyboard/mouse. Or HOTAS.

No, subscription is not necessary (it's just for supporting community content).

Make sure you get a referral code (search this thread) to give you some free in-game money if you decide to join. And if you do, make sure you join the Anandtech Org (AT Ballers...again search this thread for invite link).

Let us know if you have questions.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I take it you've never played Eve Online...I am guessing this game will have more people. Space isn't as big as you think. Only takes 1 annoying person to ruin your day :)

Nope. Truth be told, Star Citizen is my first mp experience. Yeah, I know.........

Here's hoping SC figures out a way to control our basic human instinct to be shitty to each other......

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

The SQ42 pledge is different than what you want 'right now'. You want the Star Citizen pledge, and can tack on the SQ42 game for $15 extra.

If you have the budget, spend $75 and upgrade to an Avenger.

Also, want to start with 5000 extra credits?

Help me and you out by using the code below to join up:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

STAR-MJZ9-FBMW