Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
The Sabre is shaping up quite well. They fixed the shield using more power than it should which means you can now recharge your repeaters without killing power to your thrusters. Cockpit glare is fixed. Turn rate is increased, but I still feel the roll is a bit sluggish in comparison. It really does handle lighter than the Avenger, but not quite as good as a Gladius. Once we can mount 4xS3s reliably (might already be able to, haven't tried since 2.2.0a) it's going to be a mean ship to contend with. It's essentially a monoboating super Gladius with robust shields.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Sabre have you messed with the coolers yet? To me, this is the biggest point of excitement from 2.2.....new ship components.

Per the patch notes, everyone is being given access to two different coolers. One of which is the J-Span Cryo-star....which is the $56 million backer reward (check your web hangar...it was attributed on 2/5/16 but there is now an actual picture of the unit).

The J-Span is supposed to be an upper-tier cooler.

Don't know anything about the other.

But I'm really looking forward to this component. Not from a weapons cooling perspective, but from a stealth perspective. Looking forward to configuring a ship (any ship) to be stealthier. And the cooler should be a key part of it.

You can't attack what you can't see.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
No, I haven't messed with them. I imagine it will be an interesting mechanic. Cheaper coolers don't carry as much heat and are very visible. Mid range coolers can either carry a lot of heat and be visible or can carry less heat but limit radiation. Expensive coolers carry more heat (maybe a smidge below best mid range) but are quite stealthy? Then you could have all out high end coolers that can carry the most heat but make you a beacon.

Gotta try it out tonight/tomorrow. About to head to work for now. :(

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
You can see the missiles type when using the Holotable (in Ammo section).

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Did anybody get an email about "A Special Offer from Origin Jumpworks" ?
I did.

From my Aurora LN, it would cost me around 17 euro to CCU to 300i (instead of about 22 euro).

For US, the upgrade price (from Aurora LN to 300i) with this offer would be $15 (instead of the "normal" $20).

But for the same price (17 euro/$15) you can CCU from Aurora LN to Avenger Titan.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
What missiles are those (that you use in this clip)? Ignite II?

Stock missiles on the Avenger are Marskman S1s.

About the only missile I've used for several patches. They lock super fast and they also fly fast. They don't do the damage of the Tempests, but those (and most of the others) are pretty useless right now.

If you're close enough and in the right kind of situation, you can still hit people with the Marksmans.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
According to Aurora LN page, I should have 4x ASIM-09/c Marksman II missiles. But in reality I have four Dominator II missiles.

These Dominator II are useless when fired from more than 200-300 m distance. They also take about 4 seconds to lock.

I tested in the Persistent Universe (Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.1) with someone's ship standing still (targeted ship was a Vanguard Warden):
- Missile fired from 1000 m: it did not even get close to the target.
- From 500 m : the missile went towards the targeted ship and when close to it, made a 90 degree turn away from the ship (targeted ship did not launch any countermeasures) and exploded in empty space.
- From 200 m, it hit the ship, but did minor damage (only to the shields, according to the other person).

In Vanduul Swarm, if you are close enough (200m), they can take out some Vanduul ships or at least make some damage.

In Battle Royale, most pilots can easily dodge them and it is much more difficult to bring Aurora LN that close to the targeted ship for that much time (so that the missiles acquire lock and then reach the target).

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I did.

From my Aurora LN, it would cost me around 17 euro to CCU to 300i (instead of about 22 euro).

For US, the upgrade price (from Aurora LN to 300i) with this offer would be $15 (instead of the "normal" $20).

But for the same price (17 euro/$15) you can CCU from Aurora LN to Avenger Titan.

Your package/ship melt values will be the same between the discount 300i and the Titan because its based on actual money spent but the CCU values will be $60 vs $55. Think of it as $5 off any CCU to a 300i and up as long as you jump to the discount 300i first.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yes, I understand that this offer can be viewed as a $5 discount to make a cross chassis upgrade from an Aurora to a 300i or to any ship more expensive than 300i (by doing a second CCU).

Avenger Titan is $5 (same as this discount) cheaper than 300i so you can not use this offer on that. I was mentioning Avenger Titan because it may be a better ship than 300i (depending on future modifications on ships and on the game itself). Right now at least, many consider the Avenger Titan to be better than 300i.

Avenger Stalker, or a F7C Hornet is more expensive than 300i, but with every increase in price (by going to next ship in line), those $5 mean less and less (as a percent saved).

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Hey everyone, so I've spent the past few hours reading about this game online, and watching some action videos too. I had a few questions - hoping you guys can help me out:

1) Is it worth pledging to get the game now? I read that the developers are way over the initial funding targets. By "worth it" I mean, is there a significant learning curve to the game? It sure looks like it to me.

2) I see griefing videos of people using a specific ship to ram other ships when players call a ship to a bay. I guess that's something that'll be fixed over time. But re: griefing - if I get a mission and land on a planet to do it, what stops a group of 10+ other people from simply landing near me and killing me, taking my ship? I read that there's pvp specific areas, and that there was/is a pvp slider, but somehow I don't actually get a feel for what the full out gameplay will be like (pvp wise).

3) Are any of you playing it on a legacy system? I currently have a 2600k at 4.4 ghz, and 2x GTX 580s (1.5gb) in SLI. I'm building a new system when broadwell-e and the next gen video cards come out. So even if the answer to 1 is a clear 'yes' - this one's pretty important too.

Also, is there a plan to create an anandtech community in this game? Will EU timezone players be welcome?

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2009
Hey everyone, so I've spent the past few hours reading about this game online, and watching some action videos too. I had a few questions - hoping you guys can help me out:

1) Is it worth pledging to get the game now? I read that the developers are way over the initial funding targets. By "worth it" I mean, is there a significant learning curve to the game? It sure looks like it to me.

2) I see griefing videos of people using a specific ship to ram other ships when players call a ship to a bay. I guess that's something that'll be fixed over time. But re: griefing - if I get a mission and land on a planet to do it, what stops a group of 10+ other people from simply landing near me and killing me, taking my ship? I read that there's pvp specific areas, and that there was/is a pvp slider, but somehow I don't actually get a feel for what the full out gameplay will be like (pvp wise).

3) Are any of you playing it on a legacy system? I currently have a 2600k at 4.4 ghz, and 2x GTX 580s (1.5gb) in SLI. I'm building a new system when broadwell-e and the next gen video cards come out. So even if the answer to 1 is a clear 'yes' - this one's pretty important too.

Also, is there a plan to create an anandtech community in this game? Will EU timezone players be welcome?

Thanks!

I haven't flown too often but there is definitely a learning curve but it doesn't seem too steep. The game works on my Q9650 w/8GB & a 280x. Don't expect a finished game because it isn't there is stuff to do but its not a full game so only spend the money if you understand this & it won't bother you.

**if you do decide to purchase join the AT Organization here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/OLDSBAMENT

You can be in multiple orgs so don't stress
**if you apply for the AT Ballers post your Star Citizen name in this thread we are keeping it AT Members only.

**I almost forgot use a referral code and you get extra credits. There are codes posted in this forum.
Or use mine:
STAR-FKWY-5CVW

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Addendum I'd be alright approving a sibling or close friend or in the unlikely event a Spouse of an AT Member to join the Ballers.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I tested today for a few hours using my Xbox 360 controller (and my pedals).

In the default configuration, the right stick from the controller (gamepad) is only used for viewing (for looking around from your pilot seat).

I used the following modifications to the default Star Citizen gamepad configuration:

- Right Stick X axis: Yaw
- Right Stick Y axis: Pitch

- Left Stick X axis: Strafe Left/Right
- Left Stick Y axis: Strafe Forward/Backward
- Left Trigger + Left Stick X axis: Roll

- Left Trigger + Right Stick X axis: Look Left/Right
- Left Trigger + Right Stick Y axis: Look Up/Down

Pedals: Strafe Up/Down

As you can see, this setup mimics a dual joystick setup (but with some joysticks you also have twist motion for a third axis on each such stick).

This control setup is much better than keyboard+mouse for precise maneuvers at slow speed.

On the other hand, for ship combat I am much better with keyboard+mouse (and pedals for Strafe Up/Down).

The major problem in ship combat for me is similar to the problem I have when I play a FPS with a controller: my aiming precision degrades considerably.

Another problem in this configuration is firing the second weapon group. Weapon Group 1 is assigned to Right Trigger and works very good. Weapon Group 2 is assigned to X button and that is difficult to use with other finger than your right hand thumb (which controls Yaw and Pitch from Right Stick - so you aim with it). In the default configuration, your right hand thumb is free to press X button during combat, because the Right Stick is only used to look around.

You can assign all weapon groups to the Right Trigger, but this is not a good option for weapons with very different characteristics. Wastes ammo for ballistic weapons.

I tried Left Bumper + Right Trigger for Weapon Group 2 and it is easier to use, but if I fire Weapon Group 2 and I only release the Left Bumper, it does not switch to firing with Weapon Group 1. I have to also release Right Trigger and then pull Right Trigger again. In combat you have to be very quick with the triggers.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Thanks!

1) The game is still in early development, so while there's quite a bit to do, it's already especially fun with the limited PvP of Arena Commander (an arcadish 'mini' pvp component) which lets players fight each other with their ships in small areas. But its still very early. So you have to expect random crashes, bugs, glitches, etc.

They already have plenty of money but if you like what they're trying to do, it's always a good time to pledge. You already missed the single pledge system, which allowed you to spend about $45 and get both Star Citizen (Massive MMO) and Squadron 42( Single Player game). Now you have to buy them separately, but it's only a $15 difference iirc. I suspect it will eventually get to be full game price for both, but probably not for some time as they JUST changed the pricing scheme.

Also, they're actively making changes and additions and honestly, if you waited a few months it probably wouldn't matter much. You might be better served to play some games on your list that are more appropriate for your current rig.

2) They're dealing with it. In an upcoming update probably going live within 14 days, they added a 5 star gta 'criminal' meter to add some penalty to griefers. As you do more bad things and add stars, the 'bounty' for killing you goes up. If you're killed when at a full 5 stars, you actually get kicked from the server Getting kicked is a quick and dirty solution for a big penalty while they work on bigger things.

3) I have a 2nd account and I've messed around with it on a 2nd system I have. It's an AMD Phenom II x4 965 (quad core 3.4ghz) and a GTX760 w/2GB. It definitely has lower FPS than my i7/970gtx system but I really have tried it much to say for sure. Right now many performance/fps issues are server-side and affect everyone.

4) There's already an AT group called ATBallers

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Gladius Afterburners

EMpnreU.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/EMpnreU.gifv