Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 167 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
[DHT]Osiris;37905807 said:
Shameless post for my referral key, for any ATers considering jumping on the $30 bundle bandwagon before it runs out (likely later today).

STAR-S2KL-ZNPP

Looking forward to release and planet(oid) landings!

Join the Ballers, link is on the previous page.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Donesies! Thanks!

Just jumping into the game (pulled the trigger on the 30 dollar combo, figured I was going to end up buying it anyway). Currently running a skylake build, 16GB of ram, gtx970, what kind of performance should I expect @1080p? Is this a '60 fps no matter what' kind of thing? Or a 'pull some settings down because it's designed for next gen cards' kind of thing?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
[DHT]Osiris;37905848 said:
Donesies! Thanks!

Just jumping into the game (pulled the trigger on the 30 dollar combo, figured I was going to end up buying it anyway). Currently running a skylake build, 16GB of ram, gtx970, what kind of performance should I expect @1080p? Is this a '60 fps no matter what' kind of thing? Or a 'pull some settings down because it's designed for next gen cards' kind of thing?

Even my 980 Ti doesn't guarantee 60FPS on 1080p at all times. Performance is a mixed bag because they're not at an optimization stage yet. Once the features are implemented, they will work out all the bugs, then work on optimizations.

Not that it's totally unoptimized right now, but there's a lot more that they'll do for it later once the core takes shape.

Feb 4, 2009
[DHT]Osiris;37905848 said:
Donesies! Thanks!

Everyone welcome our 26th Baller Osiris!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Even my 980 Ti doesn't guarantee 60FPS on 1080p at all times. Performance is a mixed bag because they're not at an optimization stage yet. Once the features are implemented, they will work out all the bugs, then work on optimizations.

Not that it's totally unoptimized right now, but there's a lot more that they'll do for it later once the core takes shape.

Understood, I've played through a few alphas before, so not expecting a finished product yet. But 60fps on a single card means at least it's not in Trespasser/Crysis 1 territory, so that's good!

Thank you for the invite/acceptance!

A query: Not too spun up on the whole pre-purchase ships thing. From my understanding, most of the ships available to buy with real money right now will actually be in-game, purchasable with in-game funds, this is more for project support right? And these ships are susceptible to the same methods of permanent loss (destruction/theft with no insurance) as the in-game ships, correct? Unless you got in on one of the lifetime insurance purchases that is.

Also, how does insurance work like, right now? If I buy a ship, insure it in-game normally, get it lost or destroyed or whatever prior to release, will I have it again? Is it just being clean-slated post release?

Thank you!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
My understanding is that EVERYTHING will be available to acquire in-game. All ships, items, weapons, etc.

Yes, right now the purchase of a ship is really a reward for contributing funding to the development of the game.

Yes, like the real world, if you destroy an un-insured ship, it's gone forever.

But too much is made of ship insurance and LTI. CIG devs have stated again and again that ship insurance will be very cheap and that LTI is only a minor convenience. But LTI has taken on a life of it's own within the SC community.

Right now, insurance isn't live. And there's no persistence. So if you blow up your ship....just re-spawn.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My understanding is that EVERYTHING will be available to acquire in-game. All ships, items, weapons, etc.

Yes, right now the purchase of a ship is really a reward for contributing funding to the development of the game.

Yes, like the real world, if you destroy an un-insured ship, it's gone forever.

But too much is made of ship insurance and LTI. CIG devs have stated again and again that ship insurance will be very cheap and that LTI is only a minor convenience. But LTI has taken on a life of it's own within the SC community.

Right now, insurance isn't live. And there's no persistence. So if you blow up your ship....just re-spawn.

Great, that clears up some questions I had about the support side. I'll probably hold off on the additional ship purchases, for monetary reasons (just upgraded the PC). Sounds like a solid system though.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I would expect it to be persistent, the terrain 'values' should be based on an algorithm that randomly generates the terrain, but the values for planet Y remain unchanged, so the randomly generated terrain stays the same. It'd probably be rendered only on the local machine on the fly (no 'rendering of entire universe' by the server, or local system). I think no man's sky is going for this, and I have another space-sim on my steam library that seems to work the same way...

Horizons? (not ED:Horizons), or maybe some other name? Has space -> atmosphere -> ground level flight as well.

Feb 4, 2009
Wow. Blender has changed a lot since I last used it:

(With and without stars behind camera, and a 2D Sketchup version)

KzGEp6N.png
Ej7ojTe.png

gVNi5Jf.jpg

So far I'm liking this what does everyone else think?

Maybe the balls at the bottom of A should be planets or moons?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
$30 package is gone. darn. I was going to get it.

You might have one more chance. There is some uncertainty around this, but apparently there will be one more massive sale this year (Boxing Day...just after Christmas) to allow Europeans to get in before the Euro exchange rate increases on January 1st.

But this massive sale is open to everyone and might include the $30 starters again.

Hard to get firm information out of CIG, they seems to just wing this sh*t (excuse the pun).

Edit: That $45 Aurora LN package is still a helluva deal. :)

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Fanatical....I like the 2D version the best. I think the 3D versions are cool, but it'll be harder to see if the logo is smaller.

But that's just me.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Fanatical....I like the 2D version the best. I think the 3D versions are cool, but it'll be harder to see if the logo is smaller.

But that's just me.

Agreed. When I get home I'm going to try for a "badass" version of the 2D one.

I'm thinking a rendered medallion: pitted/scratched steel disc, brass A, and silver T; maybe sitting on red velvet or on top of gold/jewels instead of starry background... and bang it up a little so it looks more realistic and less like something from the 90s.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Agreed. When I get home I'm going to try for a "badass" version of the 2D one.

I'm thinking a rendered medallion: pitted/scratched steel disc, brass A, and silver T; maybe sitting on red velvet or on top of gold/jewels instead of starry background... and bang it up a little so it looks more realistic and less like something from the 90s.

The fact the current 2D version looks somewhat like a military patch appeals to me. It's bold. And simple. All kinds of symbolism going on in it as well.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I can't help but feel you are going the completely wrong direction with this. It seems like it should be a BMW logo with skinny elbows.