Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah, I imagine as the game gets closer to release and it matters more they will flesh it out. Not going to fret about it now as there are probably a dozen balance passes that will happen between now and then.

Pointing out ballistic ammo in the PU is a good thing to bring up. In Elite you have a much larger ballistic magazine than what seems to be onboard the ships we currently have in SC. Using it accurately and sparingly will be key when you don't have a respawn every couple minutes. The fighting dynamics and strategies in the PU are going to be nothing like AC, IMO.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It reminded me of FS2, and then I saw the interior shot...

It reminds me of the some of the old physics / particle effect presentations for CryEngine back before those things were gutted for console-era Crysis.

If anything, the SC branch of CryEngine is bringing it back to its former glory, especially with the return to 64-bit coordinate map precision (another thing gutted for console-era Crysis).

I'm beginning to think CIG is more involved with pushing CryEngine forward than Crytek.

True. Especially if you were onboard that Connie.

I know....it would almost be worth sticking around instead of ejecting just to see the awesome internal damage progression. ;)

"It's been an honor serving with you gentlemen." /salute

Last edited:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I have to say I was a little disappointed when they got to the different studio inputs. When the the FPS team was talking about the things they were working on, it was all core game features... that kind of stuff should be sorted out by now and all that's left is tweaking, adjustments and bug squashing. it really doesn't sound like it's any where near ready.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I have to say I was a little disappointed when they got to the different studio inputs. When the the FPS team was talking about the things they were working on, it was all core game features... that kind of stuff should be sorted out by now and all that's left is tweaking, adjustments and bug squashing. it really doesn't sound like it's any where near ready.

The weekly FPS updates are more granular than the AtV reports, but yes it sounds like there is fundamental work still to be done.

The CIG boards are a mess right now with impatient "kids" (at least I'm calling them that) demanding that CIG release more content at Citizen Con (i.e. FPS).

I think they're going to be disappointed. I think all were gonna get is SQ42 trailers/info/hype, updated FPS demos/Social Module demos/multicrew demos.......but no real content we can get our hands on.

I'm still hopeful that by Christmas we'll have new things (shopping) to do in SC.

I was once impatient too. I've learned.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I was once impatient too. I've learned.

This. AC keeps me busy at times, and so does Elite. NMS will hopefully be out before too much longer, and can we say time killer? Rogue System has been good to me so far and KSP is always a huge time suck.

Moral of the story. Enjoy life until it comes around, which it will eventually. It will be a quality product because it wasn't rushed.

Also, just because they're still ironing some things out in FPS doesn't mean a playable version isn't going to be released. We've had AC for a while and during that time they've made flight model adjustments and other tweaks and additions behind the scenes. They've already been playing matches in-house in the QA department, so they must have something fairly concrete to experiment with. The rest can be built on top of basic FPS mechanics.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
It's not that people are impatient (at least on these forums). I'm good with it taking as long as it takes, within reason. My issue is that they are just so repeatedly *wrong* when it comes to the FPS. How many times have they either flat out said or alluded to the FPS module being close to release? How can they be so wrong about the state of the module so many times. There is a disconnect somewhere inside CiG as to where they are really at with the FPS.

That, and CRs mention of how AAA movie'ish SQ42 will be are my concerns at the moment. It's a game, I really hope he didn't blow millions getting big name actors to voice the major players. Well, we know he got big name actors but hopefully he didn't blow big wads doing it.

I'm still very excited about the game, and looking forward to trying out new modules as they are released. I expect great things and think CIG will deliver. But there are definitely times when I see something and think "wtf are they doing?"

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It's not that people are impatient (at least on these forums). I'm good with it taking as long as it takes, within reason. My issue is that they are just so repeatedly *wrong* when it comes to the FPS. How many times have they either flat out said or alluded to the FPS module being close to release? How can they be so wrong about the state of the module so many times. There is a disconnect somewhere inside CiG as to where they are really at with the FPS.

That, and CRs mention of how AAA movie'ish SQ42 will be are my concerns at the moment. It's a game, I really hope he didn't blow millions getting big name actors to voice the major players. Well, we know he got big name actors but hopefully he didn't blow big wads doing it.

I'm still very excited about the game, and looking forward to trying out new modules as they are released. I expect great things and think CIG will deliver. But there are definitely times when I see something and think "wtf are they doing?"

Yes. I count two specific times where we've been told FPS was close to release...only to then discover that "something" is holding it back.

And I'm with you on the big name actors concerns......unless there was nothing else to spend the money on (I'd rather hear Sean Connery's voice in SQ42 than have 10 variants to the Hornet or something like that....but that's just my opinion). If they spent money on famous people instead of spending it on basic necessities (network code, art assets, etc.) then I'll be disappointed.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
The fact of the matter is that SQ42 was due out last November. Not fancy space explosion videos, game feature announcements, or announcements of studio collaborations.

The game was due.

And instead of a game, there are a few module demos. And when some criticism comes in the press or on CIG's forums, you get nasty invective and weird conspiracy theories coming from management.

I've never seen a $90 million project in any field as unprofessionally run as Star Citizen.

It might have been "impatient" to start criticizing CIG back in march, but now it is time to stop believing what Chris Roberts says. After reading his response to the Escapist, I will never believe anything that guys says again: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Take a look at this part from the response (warning, there is a picture of a cup with the word Semen on it): http://i.imgur.com/gNwDqIg.png

No CEO playing around with $90 million of other people's money should put out an **official** statement like that. It's weird, unprofessional, and far more damning than the anonymous sources. And, it pretty much confirms the narrative of him being unable to manage his anger or follow basic compliance guidelines (yeah, that picture would make any sexual harassment suit far easier to pursue).

Oh, and by the way, the allegations in the escapist article were already mostly covered by an earlier kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/why-star-citizen-is-taking-so-long-1724835913 I haven't seen any weird conspiracy theories put out to discredit that story, yet.
Ex-Cloud Imperium employees say Star Citizen’s development has been characterized by an abnormally high number of features added and scrapped, but Roberts defended the practice in our interview, pointing to the iterative design done by other big game studios like Rockstar and Ubisoft. “If I go and talk to people in the business,” he said, “they’ll have their stories about wasted effort or pain. It’s the same stories you get on all big projects and distributed projects… You tend to scale up on big projects because you’re trying to deliver a lot of stuff. But the bigger you get, the less efficient you’ll get and the more friction you’ll get in terms of trying to get things done.”

Still, some familiar with the game’s development believe that this is an unorthodox situation, and that Roberts’ ambition has led to all sorts of development complications. Two sources pointed to Star Citizen’s unusual first-person camera as an example of this. Usually, video games that use both first- and third-person perspectives display different animations based on how you’re perceiving the game—in Skyrim, for example, your sword swing will look a lot different in first-person than it does when you’re zoomed out of your character’s eyes. For Star Citizen, Roberts wants to maintain the same animations no matter which perspective a player uses—his goal, as always, was to be more ambitious than anything else out there.

But according to two high-level sources, this system has been messy and at times disorienting, leading to several overhauls and delays, including one that pushed the shooter module Star Marine back by months. One source said they had to scrap and redo player skeletons—a core part of the animation system—a whopping seven times. The ex-employees who spoke to me for this story say that Roberts’ love of high-concept features often took precedence over getting things done.

This is the same guy who directed Wing Commander the movie, guys. His wing commander games were good, sure, but he wasn't actually in charge of the studio that made them. He had a boss to say "no" to his bad ideas and "yes" to the good ones. This project is failing because he probably hasn't been told "no" in a long time.

If you have any significant money in this project you should attempt to get a refund, now. You're not getting one when the walls start caving in.

Last edited:

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Pres baby, you've never seen any project close to $90M, nor do you have any idea about what its management or finances would look like. The rest of your rabid ravings are just an indicator of your sad, tired, agenda.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Welp, I'm done for now. I'll see you guys when another incredibly damning report comes out. Or, maybe when citizen con comes and goes and its apparent they're not anywhere closer to release, lol.

:hmm:

The fact of the matter is that SQ42 was due out last November. Not fancy space explosion videos, game feature announcements, or announcements of studio collaborations.

The game was due.

And instead of a game, there are a few module demos. And when some criticism comes in the press or on CIG's forums, you get nasty invective and weird conspiracy theories coming from management.

I've never seen a $90 million project in any field as unprofessionally run as Star Citizen.

It might have been "impatient" to start criticizing CIG back in march, but now it is time to stop believing what Chris Roberts says. After reading his response to the Escapist, I will never believe anything that guys says again: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Take a look at this part from the response (warning, there is a picture of a cup with the word Semen on it): http://i.imgur.com/gNwDqIg.png

No CEO playing around with $90 million of other people's money should put out an **official** statement like that. It's weird, unprofessional, and far more damning than the anonymous sources. And, it pretty much confirms the narrative of him being unable to manage his anger or follow basic compliance guidelines (yeah, that picture would make any sexual harassment suit far easier to pursue).

Oh, and by the way, the allegations in the escapist article were already mostly covered by an earlier kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/why-star-citizen-is-taking-so-long-1724835913 I haven't seen any weird conspiracy theories put out to discredit that story, yet.

This is the same guy who directed Wing Commander the movie, guys. His wing commander games were good, sure, but he wasn't actually in charge of the studio that made them. He had a boss to say "no" to his bad ideas and "yes" to the good ones. This project is failing because he probably hasn't been told "no" in a long time.

If you have any significant money in this project you should attempt to get a refund, now. You're not getting one when the walls start caving in.

u bored, bro?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Pres baby, you've never seen any project close to $90M, nor do you have any idea about what its management or finances would look like. The rest of your rabid ravings are just an indicator of your sad, tired, agenda.

OOOhhh, I'm part of a vast conspiracy to bring down a video game :rolleyes: My "agenda" lol

I work for an organization that has over a hundred million annual budget. I certainly have never seen any press releases that come out of even my division head that is anywhere near as unprofessional as that weird rant by Roberts.

You won't see the truth until your little cult falls apart.

Oh, and here is an independent article that confirms just about everything that has been reported:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/883/feature/10184/Death-of-a-Salesman.html/page/1

OOh, but he has an "agenda" like me.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

The game was due.

Hmm, implying it was "due" indicates they made a release date promise. Care to find that reference from CIG where the word "estimate" is not used? Regardless, SQ42 is dependent on technologies that gave them setbacks, like FPS module. Now that the dev streams are being merged again we shouldn't be too far off from it.

Sure, they'd be better off not setting estimates if they're not going to make them, and I think they've learned that lesson. Now we get hard details on feature releases a month out as it approaches completion.

Regarding the videos, I had no idea keeping their community involved with tests from the game engine was a crime? This is a part of the process, as if beautiful graphics just jump out of a computer monitor over night while the artists are sleeping?

And instead of a game, there are a few module demos.

Systems alpha testing. So, it would be better if nothing was out and they just kept saying "it's coming" to give hardline critics something else to grasp on to? The community wants it piece meal as it comes online.

What do you think a alpha game looks like, anyway? The final product and they just fix some textures?

But, keep going. You're doing great. Been reading the loon's blogs again?

Oooooh, what's your experience in the field, please?

I'm behind them all the more. It shows he is a human and passionate about the project. He doesn't understand why people feel the need to attack a huge game undertaking that is barely three years old (less if you count when they stood up the actual studios instead of working disjointed out of people's houses).

Are you insinuating he shopped that picture or something? AFAIK she uploaded that picture.

Mostly? The only part that's even close to the Escapist's article is that Chris can micromanage. Not a crime in my book and I'm fine to wait while the product is refined to his vision. Nothing to discredit there.

The Escapist's article focused on embezzlement, racism, and workplace harassment. All still with zero proof in a terribly written, researched, and vetted article. Still a straight up hit piece. Either she intended it as such or she was played like a fiddle by someone else in to doing it.

Before you go citing that article anymore, educate yourself on how exactly it should have been done:

http://techraptor.net/content/escapist-opportunity-discuss-anonymous-sources

Please don't tell me what to do with my money. I have not backed with a single cent that I care if it disappears tomorrow without a trace and what we have is all we'll get. I care about the potential and have more than enough disposable income.

Oh, and here is an independent article that confirms just about everything that has been reported:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/883/feature/10184/Death-of-a-Salesman.html/page/1

:rolleyes:

Of course, that brings up another issue, which is all the additional ships. A good friend of mine spent a portion of his re-enlistment bonus backing Star Citizen, where he picked up a package with the Drake Caterpillar. A ship he still can’t access or fly, by the way. Though there are an increasing number of new ships not in the original campaign that he could purchase and get right into the game with. When I asked about it during a visit to CIG, I was told he didn’t have his ship yet due to how non-linear the development process was.

There were huge updates into the development of the Caterpillar yesterday. It's been completely rethought.

Edit: The more I read that article, the guy has no idea what's going on in the game itself. "If Squadron 42 is as close as they say, then they need to wrap it up and get it out. Otherwise, it and everything else outside the dogfight module needs to go on hold while all available resources are turned to getting the dogfight module up and running well with multiple maps and all current ships. "

WTF are you going to do with a Caterpillar in the "dog fight module" (AKA Arena Commander). Get blown to pieces every few seconds?

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I'm having WAY too much fun in AC to request a refund. FWIW...we've all heard your story before. Try to bring something new into this thread if you're going to waste our time. At least St0rm brought some humor with his criticism, I kind of miss his dissenting character every now and then. You...not so much.

You should say "cult" a few more times, because you haven't said that before...

StrawMan2.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm having WAY too much fun in AC to request a refund. FWIW...we've all heard your story before. Try to bring something new into this thread if you're going to waste our time. At least St0rm brought some humor with his criticism, I kind of miss his dissenting character every now and then. You...not so much.

You should say "cult" a few more times, because you haven't said that before...

StrawMan2.jpg

He's worse than DS. At least that guy is a walking punchline so he somewhat amuses.

Feb 4, 2009
OOOhhh, I'm part of a vast conspiracy to bring down a video game :rolleyes: My "agenda" lol

I work for an organization that has over a hundred million annual budget. I certainly have never seen any press releases that come out of even my division head that is anywhere near as unprofessional as that weird rant by Roberts.

Email them and ask for a refund, they are being issued. Buy the game when its released if it turns out satisfactory. Problem solved.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm behind them all the more. It shows he is a human and passionate about the project. He doesn't understand why people feel the need to attack a huge game undertaking that is barely three years old (less if you count when they stood up the actual studios instead of working disjointed out of people's houses).

Are you insinuating he shopped that picture or something? AFAIK she uploaded that picture.

No, dummy. What I'm saying is that it was an unprofessional thing for the CEO of a multimillion dollar crowdfunded company to post that in a PRESS RELEASE. Instead of just releasing a professional denial letter saying "we don't respond to anonymously sourced articles" he went on a rant with all kinds of weird conspiracy theories and lies. he even claimed his wife has 5 degrees, lol.

Mostly? The only part that's even close to the Escapist's article is that Chris can micromanage. Not a crime in my book and I'm fine to wait while the product is refined to his vision. Nothing to discredit there.

The Escapist's article focused on embezzlement, racism, and workplace harassment. All still with zero proof in a terribly written, researched, and vetted article.

If you actually knew anything about journalism, you'd know that 7 confirmed sources is a lot. The minimum is 3. The Escapist had tons of stuff on Chris's micromanagment. And your trash techraptor article invalidates itself because NPR's ethics statement specifically exempts whistleblowers. And several of the sources said they'd go public, but the escapist chose to keep them anonymous, because they're whistleblowers....

There were huge updates into the development of the Caterpillar yesterday. It's been completely rethought.

WTF are you going to do with a Caterpillar in the "dog fight module" (AKA Arena Commander). Get blown to pieces every few seconds?

Uh, the point is that this "ship" was sold years ago and it's still a in development. "huge updates into the development of the Caterpillar yesterday" lol.

They are selling "ships" that are just JPEGs and descriptions.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
No, dummy.

Personal attacks always show solid arguments. :awe:

If you actually knew anything about journalism, you'd know that 7 confirmed sources is a lot. The minimum is 3. The Escapist had tons of stuff on Chris's micromanagment. And your trash techraptor article invalidates itself because NPR's ethics statement specifically exempts whistleblowers. And several of the sources said they'd go public, but the escapist chose to keep them anonymous, because they're whistleblowers....

If the sources are real, where's the lawsuit against CIG for illegal practices?

Uh, the point is that this "ship" was sold years ago and it's still a in development. "huge updates into the development of the Caterpillar yesterday" lol.

There isn't an environment to use it in yet. What would be the point? It was not sold, BTW. It was credited to an account as thank you for a pledge.

How very DS of you to say.

Feb 4, 2009
No, dummy. What I'm saying is that it was an unprofessional thing for the CEO of a multimillion dollar crowdfunded company to post that in a PRESS RELEASE. Instead of just releasing a professional denial letter saying "we don't respond to anonymously sourced articles" he went on a rant with all kinds of weird conspiracy theories and lies. he even claimed his wife has 5 degrees, lol.

I'll say it again email them & ask for a refund. They are issuing refunds. Otherwise you are complaining in a thread where nobody cares.