Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Total tool. His true colors are showing with the address BS and that the reply letter from his "lawyer" is clearly in his words, not formal legal letter speak, is not signed, and has serious grammar and spelling issues.

RSI essentially said this, my favorite quote from the Reddit:

SIT your 5 dolla ass down before I make change.

And, the lawyer they CC'd at the bottom, perfect finishing stroke. That dude is the real deal, as if Ortwin Freyermuth wasn't intimidating enough in the court room.

Last edited:

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Allright I may bite on this game this weekend since I got a new desk that is ideal for my HOTAS. How much I gotta pay to opt in? Or can I?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Allright I may bite on this game this weekend since I got a new desk that is ideal for my HOTAS. How much I gotta pay to opt in? Or can I?

www.robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

I think the cheapest package is an Aurora package for $45. For that you will get access to the SC game and the first of the trilogy for SQ42. All the other ships you see will be available for in game credits if you so desire. Those of us that have contributed for them did so to help the game along, not so much because it was the best way to get them.

Not sure, but you might have to chip in an additional $5 for Arena Commander access since everything is still in Alpha. Once it goes Beta all backers will have access.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Speaking of ships, anyone feeling an ATBallers Garage thread? If we ever get hangar sharing, we could have a good glimpse of what will be available.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
www.robertsspaceindustries.com/pledgeNot sure, but you might have to chip in an additional $5 for Arena Commander access since everything is still in Alpha. Once it goes Beta all backers will have access.

I've been without an AC pass since backing in May 2014. Honestly, it hasn't been an issue for me. CIG do a free-fly week at least once every three weeks and often times more frequently than that. It's only $5 though....

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
The bad: that letter probably won't stop Derek Smart's efforts and it likely cost thousands of dollars to research, write, and deliver. That's money that could have been spent on development of the game.

No, it didn't. Their lawyer is already on the books regardless. Ortwin Freyermuth, the lawyer who signed the letter, is a CIG founder with Chris Roberts. He's a big name Hollywood lawyer and is handling CIG's legal aspects, as well as some other aspects of the company.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
www.robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

I think the cheapest package is an Aurora package for $45. For that you will get access to the SC game and the first of the trilogy for SQ42. All the other ships you see will be available for in game credits if you so desire. Those of us that have contributed for them did so to help the game along, not so much because it was the best way to get them.

Not sure, but you might have to chip in an additional $5 for Arena Commander access since everything is still in Alpha. Once it goes Beta all backers will have access.

I only see the mustang and aurora 'starter packages'. If I get, say, a 75$ ship, does it come with the game as well? What's a good starter ship for someone who likes to kill NPCs and maybe mine? You can mine right?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I only see the mustang and aurora 'starter packages'. If I get, say, a 75$ ship, does it come with the game as well? What's a good starter ship for someone who likes to kill NPCs and maybe mine? You can mine right?

You need to make sure you're looking at pledge packages and not just individual ships. Packages come with both games (Star Citizen and Squadron 42).

Mining is not currently in Star Citizen as a playable activity, but it's coming.

Killing NPCs....well every ship released thus far has been armed so take your pick.

But know this.....when Star Citizen goes live, it will be multiplayer. We've heard that the ratio could be as diluted as 1 human to every 10 NPCs. But you will never be able to completely avoid humans or play offline. So if you have dreams of only killing NPCs....you might consider carefully. SQ42, however, is the linear single player campaign.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
You need to make sure you're looking at pledge packages and not just individual ships. Packages come with both games (Star Citizen and Squadron 42).

Mining is not currently in Star Citizen as a playable activity, but it's coming.

Killing NPCs....well every ship released thus far has been armed so take your pick.

But know this.....when Star Citizen goes live, it will be multiplayer. We've heard that the ratio could be as diluted as 1 human to every 10 NPCs. But you will never be able to completely avoid humans or play offline. So if you have dreams of only killing NPCs....you might consider carefully. SQ42, however, is the linear single player campaign.
One thing to note though, CIG has stated that at some point after release people will be able to host their own servers. So if someone chooses to they could run their own server and only grant themselves access.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

Click "view all" next to where it says "Game Packages." Make sure to scroll down past the super expensive ones.

Mining is a thing, but the dedicated mining ships haven't been finalized yet, so I don't think they're for sale. As rivethead mentions below, it's not something you can do right now.

Keep in mind this game is still in early Alpha as far as development goes. When you have a package, you can go to the hangar and view your ships. You can take the elevator from your hangar to the ArcCorp Area 18 area and explore around (will be updated with NPCs soon). You can also play an in fiction "game" called Arena Commander by Original Systems (a nod to Wing Commander by Origin Systems that put Chris Roberts on the map). Arena Commander is how you can fly your ships at the moment, but in the game it is itself a video game so the consequences don't matter.

If the early Alpha bit bothers you, I would wait until the actual game comes out. Also, since the game isn't complete and is in development, I would suggest not parting with any money you would be upset about if nothing else ever came from it.

Soon there will be Star Marine alongside Arena Commander, which is a first person shooter section. These are just test modules that will eventually be combined into the final game as they finish building the infrastructure for the Persistent Universe.

You do get the first of the Squadron 42 trilogy. Only original backers get all three included, I think. More recent backers have to pay for the second two chapters. Each chapter is pretty long (30+ missions I think), so each chapter might as well be its own game. CR said each in the trilogy should be 20+ hours.

As for your buying options, here's the deal. You need a "game package" of some sort to play the game. You can buy additional ships later, but you can't do anything with them without the game package. It makes sense to start with a game package that has a ship you want. Or you can buy the Aurora package and work you way up in game.

There will be a slider that lets you set how many humans you encounter. CR did say that even with it set to as many humans as possible, there will still be mostly NPCs that you come across because there will be so many.

One thing to note though, CIG has stated that at some point after release people will be able to host their own servers. So if someone chooses to they could run their own server and only grant themselves access.

While true, he has elaborated on that in 10ftC. The home server option won't be as alive as the online version. Way too much overhead to let a single home machine handle. They're simulating a single live persistent universe in the cloud with hundreds of physical machines, and not just because of the number of players. Things are happening in places you are not to keep the universe alive. When they cram it down to the home server version, you're going to lose a lot of the dynamics of the universe.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Click here to view all the game packages.

As rivethead and Sabrewings noted, there is no mining mechanic right now, and no dedicated mining ships for sale.

By kill NPCs I assume you mean dog-fighting. You can do that in any ship, as they're all armed. If you're going to spend "$75" for a ship, your best bet for that + some versatility is probably the Avenger package.

I would highly recommend getting the Arena Commander pass, as you can join PvP matches, practice against AI in Vanduul Swarm, and earn REC (rental credits) to try out all kinds of ships / weapons / equipment, and the REC builds up really fast. It's great for experimenting with various loadouts and ships without having to purchase anything.

Before you invest, try to find a friend who will let you borrow their account to see if it's the kind of game you will enjoy. Right now, I would say dogfighting is pretty hardcore as far as the skill level, especially with a HOTAS. Steep learning curve and no auto-aim or constrained yaw like you see in Elite Dangerous. That's all subject to change, and there is an announcement pending for Friday on some possible reworking of the flight model / modes with the goal of balancing control methods and removing some of the extreme vector changing / strafing going on right now.

Honestly, I don't regret a cent I've spent so far. I've probably spent 30 hours+ in Arena Commander, which is a lot of entertainment for dollar for what I've invested.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Honestly, I don't regret a cent I've spent so far. I've probably spent 30 hours+ in Arena Commander, which is a lot of entertainment for dollar for what I've invested.

I don't regret it either. The flight model is pretty fun to use. I've spent more on this game than I have any other before or any other I will in the future. Not disappointed thus far, watching the development process is fun, and even just the potential of the final product is enough to keep me excited.

But, crowd funding isn't for everyone. You have to be 100% comfortable with the potential that your donation goes down the tubes and you're left with a few disparate modules. Not likely at this point, since we're coming up on Arena Commander 2.0 which is being known as "Multicrew" or the "baby PU". It'll finally bring a lot of what is to be the final game mechanics together for backers to try. That, an the first release of SQ42 is expected early next year. :biggrin:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I don't regret it either. The flight model is pretty fun to use.

I agree. For all the teeth gnashing and vitriol spewed over the flight model, I honestly like it quite a bit. I will be very disappointed if they go too "atmospheric" with it like a lot of people are pushing for. I'm fine with some reduction of maneuvering thruster output and jerk, as long as they don't completely nerf it like a lot of "planes in space" games.

Yeah, it's difficult to get the hang of, even harder to get good at...but it's very rewarding when you do, IMO.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I agree. For all the teeth gnashing and vitriol spewed over the flight model, I honestly like it quite a bit. I will be very disappointed if they go too "atmospheric" with it like a lot of people are pushing for. I'm fine with some reduction of maneuvering thruster output and jerk, as long as they don't completely nerf it like a lot of "planes in space" games.

Yeah, it's difficult to get the hang of, even harder to get good at...but it's very rewarding when you do, IMO.

Well stated. I'm praying that the "atmospheric flight/FPS in space" crowd is a vocal minority and that CIG stays true to making this a space sim. I understand the balance between sim and fun but if they stay true and this ends up being a sim with only 800,000 hard core followers (vs accommodating millions of twitch kids), I'm perfectly fine with that.

If SC has a steep learning curve, then I'll say: they're doing it right!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Holy crap. Been a while since I looked at all the packages. The Aurora MR package is only $30, and you get SC and the first of the SQ42 series. That's a steal.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR

This package came out awhile ago but has caused lots of confusion (and will continue to) because people are missing this:

"WARNING : Please note that this package does not include access to the Alpha and Beta of the game."

Every other package currently gives the purchaser Beta access.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
This package came out awhile ago but has caused lots of confusion (and will continue to) because people are missing this:

"WARNING : Please note that this package does not include access to the Alpha and Beta of the game."

Every other package currently gives the purchaser Beta access.

Ah, reading comprehension. So, no Beta access and not even the option for AC. Still a deal in the end, but you can't use it for a while. I'd pay the extra $15 to be able to play AC for the next year.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Ah, reading comprehension. So, no Beta access and not even the option for AC. Still a deal in the end, but you can't use it for a while. I'd pay the extra $15 to be able to play AC for the next year.

Actually it's cheaper than that. For $35 you can get the Aurora ES package.....which includes Beta access.

It basically the same thing except you get beta access and an ES instead of an MR. But earn a little REC and you can fly almost anything you want in AC!

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Actually it's cheaper than that. For $35 you can get the Aurora ES package.....which includes Beta access.

It basically the same thing except you get beta access and an ES instead of an MR. But earn a little REC and you can fly almost anything you want in AC!

Very nice. REC really helps sell things for them I think. You can try out ships before you buy. I rented a Super Hornet last week and while I enjoyed it I realized its style isn't for me. But, in the time that I used it plus playing around with my other ships, I earned back the REC I spent on it. :D

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Very nice. REC really helps sell things for them I think. You can try out ships before you buy. I rented a Super Hornet last week and while I enjoyed it I realized its style isn't for me. But, in the time that I used it plus playing around with my other ships, I earned back the REC I spent on it. :D

The Super Hornet is definitely not my style either. I much prefer the more nimble fun to fly ships like the Gladius, Avenger or 300s. I almost have enough REC saved up for a 350R. Can't wait to try that out...even though I hear it's a bit buggy right now.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
AtV notes

• 1.2.1 will be going to the PTU "soon" and will include an update to the social module as well as some balancing changes
  • New systems are in development
  • In fiction GUI for changing character load out is coming soon (1.2.1 is my guess?)
  • Procedural planet generation prototype is up and running
  • Procedural hit reactions
  • New ship weapons are being worked on
  • Lots of good info on technology used in characters in the dev interview
  • CR talks at length on Wingcommander
  • Updates on the Drake Caterpillar development