Question SSHD vs SSD + HDD

advcha

Jun 17, 2020
Hello,
I already have a SSD Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and old HDD Hitachi 500GB. I want to replace the HDD. I'm thinking of buying a SSHD Seagate Firecude 2 TB but I read many not good reviews about SSHD. So I'm thinking of buying a HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB + SSD WD Blue 500GB.
Currently the SSD use Ubuntu and I want to try and install some virtualizations (virtualbox) on the new disk like Windows and Mac OSX. I have 48GB DDR4 RAM So I think it'd be no problem for the virtualization. For this, Is it better and enough to use just single SSHD or use SSD + HDD? it'd be price vs performance compromise. also not sure the virtualizations would be used very often. But I really need big storage to store and backup my data.
Any answer would be appreciated.

advcha

Jun 17, 2020
@Muadib Thanks. The price of SSD 1 TB is a bit more expensive than the SSHD Seagate Firecuda 2TB. But I also need a 2TB storage. I read the SSHD Seagate Firecuda 2TB specs. it seems like a combination of HDD 2TB and SSD 8 GB. With similar price I can get HDD 2TB + SSD 250 GB. Even a combination HDD 2TB + SSD 500 GB only a bit more expensive than the SSHD. With a limited budget, I'll go to the HDD and SSD combination.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Don't buy a hybrid drive. The only time they ever made sense was for notebooks that couldn't fit a hard drive and a SSD, and M.2 solved that problem. You literally cannot buy a new SSD that is as crappy as the cache built in to a hybrid drive. If you're absolutely sure you need a 2TB drive and you cannot afford a 2TB SSD, then obviously you should buy a 2TB hard drive. But if you only think you need a 2TB drive because you're using it for storing backups, then buy a 1TB SSD and an external hard drive, because you shouldn't put backups on an internal drive in the system you're trying to back up.

advcha

Jun 17, 2020
Don't buy a hybrid drive. The only time they ever made sense was for notebooks that couldn't fit a hard drive and a SSD, and M.2 solved that problem. You literally cannot buy a new SSD that is as crappy as the cache built in to a hybrid drive. If you're absolutely sure you need a 2TB drive and you cannot afford a 2TB SSD, then obviously you should buy a 2TB hard drive. But if you only think you need a 2TB drive because you're using it for storing backups, then buy a 1TB SSD and an external hard drive, because you shouldn't put backups on an internal drive in the system you're trying to back up.

Thanks. SSDH seems only a marketing gimmick. Yeah 2TB SSD is much more expensive for me. A pair of 2 TB HDD and 500GB SSD seems more fit for my budget and my need. Actually I have an external hdd as well. but the internal disk is more comfortable without have to plug/unplug it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had one of the first Seagate "Hybrid Drives". It was a 3.5" 7200RPM 2TB job. It was actually a quite well performing drive. The "Hybrid" nature of it, was primarily just for fast boot-ups, nothing more. It worked, more or less, but took a few boots to get "trained".

Nowadays, though, I would recommend a separate SSD and HDD.

The reason that I went with the Hybrid Drive in the first place, was that it was an OEM rig with only two SATA ports on the mobo, and a 3.5" bay, and one of the SATA ports was taken up by the DVD drive, which I didn't want to remove.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
@Muadib Thanks. The price of SSD 1 TB is a bit more expensive than the SSHD Seagate Firecuda 2TB. But I also need a 2TB storage. I read the SSHD Seagate Firecuda 2TB specs. it seems like a combination of HDD 2TB and SSD 8 GB. With similar price I can get HDD 2TB + SSD 250 GB. Even a combination HDD 2TB + SSD 500 GB only a bit more expensive than the SSHD. With a limited budget, I'll go to the HDD and SSD combination.
I agree with the gang. Buy the biggest SSD that you can, and get an HDD to go with it.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Hybrid drive costs more and has twice the ways to fail, hard pass for me. What I did for one older system is get an adapter that puts two 2.5" drives in the space of one 3.5" drive, one SSD and one HD.