SS3:BFE Release Date Announce, up to 20% Pre-order discount, new video!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Try restarting Steam? That seems to work for the odd ball error or whatever I get once in a blue.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I didnt want to start another SS3 thread so I jumped in here but if I need to start another thread, please just let me know and I will.

I have already been playing SS3 for a little while now, maybe 80 min or so and I have started it about 3 or 4 different times without any problems.

So yesterday and last night and this morning I tried playing SS3 and got this message:

"STEAM ERROR - This game is currently unavailable Please try again at another time."

Well, at first I thought Steam was down but I tried another Steam game and I've played it multiple times so for some reason I cant load up SS3.

Does anyone have a fix for this or am I the only one so far :) btw, where is the Sam3.exe file located???

Thanks for your help

There have been a couple updates to the game. Verify your cache, you will probably have to download a file to get it fixed.

Warning: There are confirmed reports that yesterday the update caused an error on game saves for levels 1, 2, 9 and 12. This morning a new update was put up that was supposed to correct that. However, if you saved files in the same levels with the first update, the newest one may create the same issue.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Spent about 2 hours in the game, and I am impressed.

The gameplay is pretty good, but the graphics are what I expected from a directx 9 title.

I think that if SS3 would have been at least a directx 10, or a directx 11 game, it would have been awesome. The shadows are not very fluid, things just look "clunky" and dated.

Graphics aside, the gameplay is solid and lots of fun

While I understand your point, it'd would probably be pretty difficult to code such a game in DX10 or DX11 without requring a lot of resources to play it effectively. Think about trying to render correct shadows and tesselation on all of the headless bombers and rockets coming at you.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
So, my friend and I like to do a lot of parkour-ing in this game to find secrets. Unfortunately one of them got us stuck and we had to enable cheats to get out of our spot in the level. It was pretty funny because he was angry I made it in and made me wait until he made it in before I could say what was in there. He created his own demise :p

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Got to the point where the copter was shot down, and some freaking huge robot with dual rocket launchers came out.

The first thing I thought of was the cyber-demon from Doom, it was great.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
There have been a couple updates to the game. Verify your cache, you will probably have to download a file to get it fixed.

Warning: There are confirmed reports that yesterday the update caused an error on game saves for levels 1, 2, 9 and 12. This morning a new update was put up that was supposed to correct that. However, if you saved files in the same levels with the first update, the newest one may create the same issue.

thanks everyone, how do I verify my cache? also do I DL the file or does Steam do it automatically?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
thanks everyone, how do I verify my cache? also do I DL the file or does Steam do it automatically?

In your Steam library, Right-click on the game, and click Properties.

Select the Local Files tab.

Click the Verify Integrity of Games Cache button, and let it work. It will take a few moments.

It will check to see if any files are corrupted or missing. This should always be the first thing you do whenever you are having problems with one of your Steam games.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Thanks so much LessThanDan, greatly appreciated and btw I would have never found that there ;)

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Finding that cannon before fighting against the flying warship really helped seeing as so many ****ers were on my ass the whole time. Especially those cows.

Did anyone else kill that helicopter boss before the end of the stage because you found the secret rocket launcher?? :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Finding that cannon before fighting against the flying warship really helped seeing as so many ****ers were on my ass the whole time. Especially those cows.

Did anyone else kill that helicopter boss before the end of the stage because you found the secret rocket launcher?? :D

where did you find it? I've had difficulty finding most secrets.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
On top of a building, its where you fight across a ruined city terrain til you face off the warship. Stage 6 i think it was (cant remember it off the top of my head)? I found the cannon ball ammo first then saw something highlight in green on top of a building amongst the ruined buildings.

As for the rocket launcher, it was behind a wall where you had to put a c4 charge to get it (you can see it glowing red just like how you blow up the sphinx, theres a highlighted red c4 charge on the wall crack). Or just jump over the wall and blast your way out. It was in the earlier stages, and behind a heap of trash.. only found it because a tiny red glow intrigued me.

There are so many secrets and Ive yet to find even half of these.. Wait til you guys use the minigun! I found this one also in the middle of nowhere and almost got killed by that sand worm.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Wait til you guys use the minigun! I found this one also in the middle of nowhere and almost got killed by that sand worm.
I got the minigun then too, but I was pretty disappointed that I could never really find any ammo for it until the level where they shove it in your face.
That level was freaking awesome btw! Something close to 1200 enemies to mow down :D

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
For better or worse, it took me 22 hours to beat the game in single player. The final boss was such a pain in the ass. Then I played some online coop and found it all to be ridiculously easy. The first server I joined was on normal difficulty and that was just a joke. Joined another one (CPA was there) that had serious difficulty and even that was pretty easy, but a whole lot more fun.

Probably my fav game of 2011.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
For better or worse, it took me 22 hours to beat the game in single player. The final boss was such a pain in the ass. Then I played some online coop and found it all to be ridiculously easy. The first server I joined was on normal difficulty and that was just a joke. Joined another one (CPA was there) that had serious difficulty and even that was pretty easy, but a whole lot more fun.

Probably my fav game of 2011.

Took me about 27 hours. Will be doing a runthrough on Serious soon. I want to find more secrets.

The server you forgot to get into last night shut down about halfway in our level. But, I agree, co-op is too easy at the moment.

nitrousninja

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2000
The last boss was silly. I had to look online to figure it out. He died in two shots when i figured it out. Theres no way I wouldve without searching. It was soo out of place from the rest of the game.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Took me about 27 hours. Will be doing a runthrough on Serious soon. I want to find more secrets.

The server you forgot to get into last night shut down about halfway in our level. But, I agree, co-op is too easy at the moment.
Yeah I didn't quite catch the 'hit F3 to join' thing right away. The normal server I played on let you play at anytime, not just at the beginning of a level. But I did get to play on that server later.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yeah I didn't quite catch the 'hit F3 to join' thing right away. The normal server I played on let you play at anytime, not just at the beginning of a level. But I did get to play on that server later.

Same here. In fact, my 10-year old kept saying "hit f3 dad, hit f3"

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I have only been playing a few hours so far, but I am a little disappointed in the weapons I have found (the hammer, pistol and shotgun). The hammer gets boring real fast IMHO and its a shame because it is something I find myself needing to use from time to time. The novelty of using it grows old pretty quick.

The pistol and shotgun work okay but I was really hoping by this point in the game there would be a larger variety of weapons.

I haven't been finding many secrets, maybe about half per section. Are all the weapons hidden?

-KeithP

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have only been playing a few hours so far, but I am a little disappointed in the weapons I have found (the hammer, pistol and shotgun). The hammer gets boring real fast IMHO and its a shame because it is something I find myself needing to use from time to time. The novelty of using it grows old pretty quick.

The pistol and shotgun work okay but I was really hoping by this point in the game there would be a larger variety of weapons.

I haven't been finding many secrets, maybe about half per section. Are all the weapons hidden?

-KeithP

You're still very early in the game, and you don't even have half the weapons yet. :) Just stick with it. You won't be disappointed.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

-KeithP

Have you tried all three ways of using the hammer?

Also, yes the secrets are hard. I found 1 of 17 on the first level. But you should have fun the rocket launcher and another weapon or two by now.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Has anyone tried playing splitscreen with multiple mice/keyboards? Does it work? I know it works in Trine, but I'm not sure about SS3.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Quick question... if you have C4 bombs in stock, is it impossible to access your chain gun? If so, that's pretty stupid.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
^^^ The laser gun is what I meant I guess. I hadn't got the chain gun yet when I wrote the last post but have now beat the game. I wish we could use the laser and sniper rifle more than brief moments in the game.