Sponsors pull ads from Glenn Beck after racist comments

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
wait!? so calling someone you think is a racist (and i can see how some have that idea) a racist is now racist? damn. where is moonbeem and his self hate bs?

Well for starters he's a Mormon, which until a "divine prophecy!" that magically coincided with open racism starting to be frowned upon, taught that blacks were inferior.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
wait!? so calling someone you think is a racist (and i can see how some have that idea) a racist is now racist? damn. where is moonbeem and his self hate bs?

I'm right here. I generally call Nutxo Nutso and I can't figure out how that makes me anything but more accurate at naming him than he is.

If I call a plant green does that make me a greener.

Calling somebody a racist can be a number of things. It can be a slur and an attempt to tar and innocent person. It can be an exaggeration of racial insensitivity, or it could be that you are calling a spade a spade. To properly apply adjectives to things for which the modifiers are descriptive is nothing more than nomenclature, if you ask me.

Now one thing Nutso might want to consider is that if he pretends that calling a racist is racist it may be because HE is the racist who wants to pretend he can be a racist and turn the table on those who correctly label him so. Well that just won't work.

I'm not sure how I can fit self hate in here. We know that racists hate themselves and use the other as a handy place to project their own inferiority. Racists always look down.

Also the notion that we hate ourselves is very disturbing to some people, because we all know unconsciously it is true. So when somebody like me suggests that you hate yourself it can sometimes stick in the craw. Our self hate is so great that even mentioning it can get the teller in trouble. We always shoot the messenger, you see.

LOL. I didn't call you out moonie :) No. Im not a racist. Im not even all white (no black though, am I still immune to the slander?) or maybe I have some sort of the "self hate" you like to throw around so much. I didnt even call anyone racist.

By the logic that you are using right now you would be classified as racist. Wait, I just insinuated you were a racist. OMG now Im a racist.

Anyways, Nice to see you moonie. This is why I never post anymore. I ask a simple question and it turns into a flamefest.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: cubeless
Originally posted by: classy
Obama is half white and was raised by his white grandparents who he loves dearly. The chance of Obama having deep hatred towards whites is less than 1% of 1 %.

surely you jest... the psychology of 'loving mother' and 'hating women' and such is all in the books... us poor honkies cannot imagine the conflicts that his psyche has twisted through due to his (ok, in hawaii) birth circumstances... hell, i was just born a poor whitey and i'm still pissed about it...

save me moonbeam!!!

I'd save you but considering how worthless you say you are I'd just hate myself for it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
nutxo: LOL. I didn't call you out moonie :)

M: I know you didn't. I was posting to waggy.

n; No. Im not a racist. Im not even all white (no black though, am I still immune to the slander?) or maybe I have some sort of the "self hate" you like to throw around so much.

M: I didn't say you were a racist either.

n: I didnt even call anyone racist.

M: waggy seems to think that your question implies that you think calling somebody a racist makes them one too. I sort of thought he was right, that that IS what you meant. In any case I was replying to waggy there too.

n: By the logic that you are using right now you would be classified as racist. Wait, I just insinuated you were a racist. OMG now Im a racist.

M: But I don't agree with that logic. That was my point.

n: Anyways, Nice to see you moonie. This is why I never post anymore. I ask a simple question and it turns into a flamefest.

M: It might have turned into a misunderstanding because I am still not sure what your question was for. And don't worry if things turn into a flame fest. I think if you stay calm things can be reasoned out. I would rather you post than not.

BarrySotero

Banned
Apr 30, 2009
Obama said he cried after hearing Rev Wright speak about "hope":

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, aprtheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere ... That's the world! On which hope sits."

And so it went, a meditation on a fallen world. While the boys next to me doodled on their church bulletin, Reverend Wright spoke of Sharpesville and Hiroshima, the callousness of policy makers in the White House and in the State House".

Obama is just Rev Wright with an overly toothy grin that he knows disables some people from seeing who he really is. Obama absolutely resents crackers - ditto for wifey.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: sunzt
http://mediamatters.org/blog/200908060011

Three companies who run ads during Glenn Beck -- NexisLexis-owned Lawyers.com, Proctor & Gamble and Progressive Insurance -- today distanced themselves from Beck. LexisNexis has pulled its advertising from Beck and says it has no plans to advertise on the program in the future. Both Proctor & Gamble and Progressive Insurance called the Beck advertising placements an error that they would correct.

The decision by the three companies comes as over 45,000 ColorofChange.org members call on advertisers to pull their ads from Glenn Beck after the controversial news host called President Obama a "racist" who "has a deep-seated hatred for white people" on "Fox & Friends" last week.

"Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention," said John Michaels, Senior Communications Manager at LexisNexis in an email to ColorOfChange.org. "We have suspended further advertising during Mr. Beck's program."

Now the question is will this make GB more or less asanine? I'm pretty impressed that 45,000 people called the advertisers already. Maybe they were all hired mobs by ACORN...or capitalism at work?

So I take it you are a glenn beck follower? Your flipant sarcasm would lead people to believe that you are a Glenn beck follower!!

Isn`t it ironic that Glenn Beck...GB
George Bush...Gb....rof...they both GB..hahaaa

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: retrospooty

I dont know about that... But Glenn Beck is batshit crazy - reason enough to pull ads.

yes he is. i tried watching his show to see what all the fuss is about. the guy annoyed the fuck out of me. i just can't watch it at all.

BUT the idea that if you call someone a racist makes you racist just seems like a idiotic idea.

and moonbeam you crack me up! lol

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I don't think the #3 rated talk radio show and one of the highest rated cable news shows is going to sweat losing a few sponsors. They probably have more sponsors than they have ad time, so I bet there's a line waiting to sponsor his show.

And OCguy...:laugh: @ the Progressive joke!

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: BarrySotero
Obama absolutely resents crackers - ditto for wifey.

So... where does this gem of wisdom come from? Do you know him or anything about him that you didn't read on a right wing blog or hear on Fox news? Do you think its possible that right wing blogs and fox news MIGHT not quite give you the real picture?

Your an idiot of the highest magnitude, and you consistently say idiotic things on this forum, but this quote from you today is really over the top stupid, even for you.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JKing106
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I've never listened to or seen Glenn Beck, but for as much as you lefty fruitcakes get your panties knotted up over the guy, I hope he keeps it up. What would this forum be without the righteous indignation of the loony left?

He's a bipolar, authoritarian coward like most Neocons (that's why they love guns so much: they're afraid) who scares the shit out of other cowards with his lunatic ramblings. He's got his televangelist persona down. You'd like him.

If we're lucky you'll frighten a neocon one of these days and get a face full of lead.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Originally posted by: nutxo
I dont watch network news so Im not sure who Glen Beck is. Calling someone racist is a racist remark?

I guess he should have put some quotes there.

If he had called Obama and elephant, it would have read
Sponsors pull ads after elephant comments.

If he had called him an engineer
Sponsors pull ads after engineer comments.

Since he called him a racist
Sponsors pull ads after racist comments.

The sentence is just (unintentionally?) ambiguous.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Harvey

At 2:42 on this vid, Beck says:

This president has exposed himself as a guy, over and over and over again, who has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture.

And yes, that is calling Obama a racist. As a shit for brains racist, himself, Beck should know better.

Calling Obama a racist is not the same thing as being a racist. I've never watched Beck, but the OP's title is deliberately misleading and should be changed. Even if Beck is a racist, it wasn't because he made a racist comment that his funding was pulled.

As a mod, I would have hoped that you would put aside your personal bias in favor of accuracy. Even if you can't change the title, I would have hoped you asked another mod to consider it.

How many people read the thread title and thought "Beck called someone a racist"?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: tk149

This president has exposed himself as a guy, over and over and over again, who has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture.

And yes, that is calling Obama a racist. As a shit for brains racist, himself, Beck should know better.

Calling Obama a racist is not the same thing as being a racist. I've never watched Beck, but the OP's title is deliberately misleading and should be changed. Even if Beck is a racist, it wasn't because he made a racist comment that his funding was pulled.

As a mod, I would have hoped that you would put aside your personal bias in favor of accuracy. Even if you can't change the title, I would have hoped you asked another mod to consider it.

How many people read the thread title and thought "Beck called someone a racist"?

see u after vacation...

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: tk149

have a nice trip...

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFan
What has Beck said that demonstrates that he, himself, is a racist?

I don't get it.

That question should be posed for Obama. GB is the one throwing out the racist accusation here.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Glen Beck IS a racist.

He's stated on his radio program numerous times that being racist against illegals is ok because they're breaking the law. Beck has used it in the past to justify anti-latino comments.

Whether you agree with him or not - that's a racist.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
I've never listened to or seen Glenn Beck, but for as much as you lefty fruitcakes get your panties knotted up over the guy, I hope he keeps it up. What would this forum be without the righteous indignation of the loony left?

He's a bipolar, authoritarian coward like most Neocons (that's why they love guns so much: they're afraid) who scares the shit out of other cowards with his lunatic ramblings. He's got his televangelist persona down. You'd like him.

If we're lucky you'll frighten a neocon one of these days and get a face full of lead.

you're cute.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

you're cute.

wrong forum. i think your looking for Love and relationships! :D

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009

"It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks' greed runs a world in need, aprtheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere ... That's the world! On which hope sits."

And so it went, a meditation on a fallen world. While the boys next to me doodled on their church bulletin, Reverend Wright spoke of Sharpesville and Hiroshima, the callousness of policy makers in the White House and in the State House".

Obama is just Rev Wright with an overly toothy grin that he knows disables some people from seeing who he really is. Obama absolutely resents crackers - ditto for wifey.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you with the sheet over your face. You know, you're really a disgusting human being. And a shameless troll. Sending a message to the mods.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, I'm pretty safe. I'm not black, latino, or arabic. You're welcome to try, if you want, sweetcheeks.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

I'm sorry, I can't hear you with the sheet over your face. You know, you're really a disgusting human being. And a shameless troll. Sending a message to the mods.

Trying to silence speech you dont agree with? :confused:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

trying to censor someone that disagrees with you? fuck you.

Originally posted by: piasabird
Anyone that says anything negative about O'Bamma is a racist.

starting to seem that way.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: piasabird
Anyone that says anything negative about O'Bamma is a racist.

No, anyone who intentionally tries to inflame members of a political party who have historically been filled with racists (Hatch, Thurmond, etc.) with "The President hates your race" rhetoric is most likely a racist themselves. Stop with the fucking semantics. You all know exactly what the fuck Beck was doing, and you're defending it because you agree with his racist views. Stop being a pussy, and admit it.