Spoiled rich white kid kills 4 drunk driving gets no jail time

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What the parents have is the weapon most prosecutors are in abject fear of: The ability of the parents to hire attorneys that have the ability to make said prosecutors look like lost babes in a forest full of wolves.

Along with that are those many other contributing factors that make going up against a family steeped in wealth and political influence a tough nut to crack.

Too, judges are humans first, with the same frailties and desires as any other human. That they can somehow receive "intangible" benefits by turning a sympathetic ear toward a possible benefactor cannot be ignored, no matter how impartial they like to appear to be. By shading the letter of the law with the discretionary powers vested in them to their liking, it's very easy to see how they can be bought off if the benefits and perks present themselves in "just the right way".

Another strike against the fact that judges are elected. This should never be the case. Any time you are dependent on the flippant passions of a profoundly uneducated public above your duty to serve the law, you can never be considered a reliable judge of innocence/guilt.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
this is now the #1 punchable face, I think, above the pill-selling dillhole that was just indicted for fraud.

There is another article there with the picture of the mom's booking photo in Mexico with a big smile on her face - punchable face #2

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yeah, there's the thing. The "affluenza" defense is not saying he couldn't distinguish right from wrong - that would actually be consistent with an insanity defense. What it's saying is the parents never set limits so he didn't understand there were consequences for doing bad things. This is quite incredible when you ponder it...
Yep, quite incredible.

As long as they remain in a Mexican jail, I hope it's a long battle.

Another strike against the fact that judges are elected. This should never be the case. Any time you are dependent on the flippant passions of a profoundly uneducated public above your duty to serve the law, you can never be considered a reliable judge of innocence/guilt.
I don't think you're swinging against the right target, brother. Jan Jurden was an appointed judge when she sentenced one of the duPont heirs to probation for raping a three year old; last year she was appointed and confirmed to lead the Delaware Superior Court. Suzanne Delvechio was an appointed judge when she allowed a gay teacher to receive only probation in return for pleading guilty to raping a fifteen year old student; she was later appointed and confirmed as Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Court. Edward Cashman was an appointed Vermont judge when he sentenced an admitted serial child rapist to sixty days. There is no single outside factor for such judges - they are appointed and elected, Democrat and Republican, in very blue states and in very red states and in all shades of purple states. There might be consideration of wealth in as far as angering potential backers to move up or in buying enough legal talent to defend against conviction, but nothing that could possibly happen would ever make them look as bad in voters' eyes as these sham sentences. Failing to get a conviction in the face of formidable legal talent can be forgiven, but not these sentences.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

I have to wonder why. His worst possible punishmnet is so light what's the point? It's not like he's putting off starting a life sentence in a Turkish prison, why is sitting in a Mexican jail fighting extradition better than sitting in a US Jail serving the sentence?

Go ahead kid, I hope your fight lasts the rest of your life and you never get out of Mexico.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
this is now the #1 punchable face, I think, above the pill-selling dillhole that was just indicted for fraud.

I was reviewing the thread, and when I got to post #287 I thought, 'Damn, was I in a bad mood when I posted that? Maybe I should edit that up a little..'

Nope.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I was reviewing the thread, and when I got to post #287 I thought, 'Damn, was I in a bad mood when I posted that? Maybe I should edit that up a little..'

Nope.

Given that this kid literally got away scot free with quadruple vehicular homicide AND is too fucking stupid to realize his good fortune, I do not think it is possible to hate him too much. It's like wondering if you were too hard on Hitler's foreign policy.

Feb 16, 2005
Given that this kid literally got away scot free with quadruple vehicular homicide AND is too fucking stupid to realize his good fortune, I do not think it is possible to hate him too much. It's like wondering if you were too hard on Hitler's foreign policy.

Ha!

Yea, I doubt this asshole will have many supporters, even here on ATP&N. Let him enjoy a few months down in ol' Mexico (in a prison cell, con mucho ratons)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I have to wonder why. His worst possible punishmnet is so light what's the point? It's not like he's putting off starting a life sentence in a Turkish prison, why is sitting in a Mexican jail fighting extradition better than sitting in a US Jail serving the sentence?

Go ahead kid, I hope your fight lasts the rest of your life and you never get out of Mexico.

I was under the impression that if he violated his probation that the suspended sentence of 28 years in prison would be implemented.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I was under the impression that if he violated his probation that the suspended sentence of 28 years in prison would be implemented.

Earlier in the thread someone cited Texas law that says since he is a juvenile that the max he can receive is 120 days for violating his parole. Once he is transferred to adult probation the threat of serving it all is there.

I'm not a lawyer but the legal experts sounded pretty convincing.

Nov 25, 2013

from an earlier post:

Max punishment is most likely 120 days.

"Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said the most Couch faces is 120 days in jail for violating his probation, or less time if his case is not transferred to adult court.

He’d have to commit another probation violation to face longer than 120 days behind bars, she said, with multiple consecutive 10-year sentences possible if that happens.

“It is the horns of a dilemma of Texas law,” she said. “We are bound by the sentence he received from the juvenile judge.”

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...o-sheriff-says

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Agreed, and point taken.

I think I wondered because that's probably the first time I've ever felt a re-enactment of the wine bottle scene from Pan's Labyrinth was called for.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The fucker has the worse hair cut and facial hair ever for a kid, rich or not.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
from an earlier post:

Max punishment is most likely 120 days.

"Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said the most Couch faces is 120 days in jail for violating his probation, or less time if his case is not transferred to adult court.

He’d have to commit another probation violation to face longer than 120 days behind bars, she said, with multiple consecutive 10-year sentences possible if that happens.

“It is the horns of a dilemma of Texas law,” she said. “We are bound by the sentence he received from the juvenile judge.”

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...o-sheriff-says

The thing is he violated his probation as an adult. The above rule you stated applies to minors.

He is basically getting off scot free again.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I heard the judge that made the original ruling is no longer a judge.

Does that sound fishy to anyone else?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I heard the judge that made the original ruling is no longer a judge.

Does that sound fishy to anyone else?

I think she retired due to all negative coverage of that sentence and knowing she faced an uphill battle to get re-elected after this.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
There is another article there with the picture of the mom's booking photo in Mexico with a big smile on her face - punchable face #2

carrot-top-353x.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Might better have stayed in America and rode out the probation violation. Why flee and look over your shoulder the rest of your life to avoid 120 days? Probably not even that much with good behaviors/technicality shenanigans.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
From that link, the kid is fighting deportation, and it could take months. :thumbsdown:
This ass hat spending months in a Mexican prison while fighting extradition & 120 days in a cushy American juvie prison is a good thing. It's as close to justice as we're likely to get.

Might better have stayed in America and rode out the probation violation. Why flee and look over your shoulder the rest of your life to avoid 120 days? Probably not even that much with good behaviors/technicality shenanigans.
Because he's too stupid to see past the tip of his very entitled nose.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
He gets 120 days for fleeing, but what about the investigation into the video? If they find that he was actually drinking which is another strike towards violating probation, will he then have to serve the rest of his 28 year sentence?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

I have a feeling that this kid's good luck has just run out. It will be like when OJ got away with murder in the first trial and then got crucified in the second trial. The kid learned nothing the first around, this time he will be learn a great deal and it will be incredibly painful for him. He is going to get eaten alive.