Spoiled rich white kid kills 4 drunk driving gets no jail time

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
no not really how it happened.

note he did not claim it was true. just that they were NEVER convicted of any crimes.

so you say what he just said wasn't true. wich is wrong..

again..you are wrong.

it is true. the kids were never convicted of any crimes. that is fact.

granted it's fact because it's a made up story and you can't convict them of crimes.

hence my joke...you uptight jerk!

lol HDS strikes again!

<sigh>

His original statement was (my bolding):

"This is true. It's actually why none of the children rescued from the island that "Lord of the Flies" was based on we're ever convicted of any crimes."

My reply was, no, never happened and later provided that actual influences on the book. His reaction was some rather intemperate cursing for which he was moderated. And I really don't understand your reaction. You seem to be talking about a conversation that happened in an alternate universe. <shrug> Have fun with that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
<sigh>

His original statement was (my bolding):

"This is true. It's actually why none of the children rescued from the island that "Lord of the Flies" was based on we're ever convicted of any crimes."

My reply was, no, never happened. His reaction was some rather intemperate cursing for which he was moderated. And I really don't understand your reaction. You seem to be talking about a conversation that happened in an alternate universe. <shrug> Have fun with that.

wow...you really need a sense of humor.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Reminds me of when they were going to send their kid to a posh $400,000 rehab resort but "settled" on one just a bit less than that because they could work it out so the government would be on the hook for 95% of the cost.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I heard the original judge supposedly gave a poor black kid that committed the same crime 20 years. I also read that she is no longer on the bench.

Now, doesn't that sound fishy? Like maybe she got caught mishandling the case, and got the option to resign? Perhaps even a bribe?

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Reminds me of when they were going to send their kid to a posh $400,000 rehab resort but "settled" on one just a bit less than that because they could work it out so the government would be on the hook for 95% of the cost.
Seriously? Holy crap!

Know another really good place to give up getting drunk? Prison. Kid should have gotten 10 to 20, which would keep him sober for at least four years.

I heard the original judge supposedly gave a poor black kid that committed the same crime 20 years. I also read that she is no longer on the bench.

Now, doesn't that sound fishy? Like maybe she got caught mishandling the case, and got the option to resign? Perhaps even a bribe?
I would certainly hope she's no longer on the bench.

Or gets run over by an uninsured illegal.
lol On her way back to Mexico. Irony AND justice in one swerving pickup truck.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009

Or somebody found out she was the 4th shooter in Dealy plaza.

Reactions: shortylickens

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You can read more about the family getting the government to front 95% of the money here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...atment-costs-state-hospital-article-1.1754504

When you have the most, you pay the least.
Looks like they did ask to have in placed in a $450,000/year facility - although probably with the expectation that the taxpayer pick up that tab as well.

We have a seriously fucked up system. This kid murders (by willful negligence) four young people and seriously injures several more, at least one of whom is physically handicapped for life. He gets no prison time AND we have to pay for a luxury "rehab" center which obviously was a waste of money. On the other hand, we as a society will do nothing for the victims, except if they are totally destitute and qualify for Medicaid, the very lowest and least valuable form of health insurance. They have to seek their own redress, and they will be opposed by the finest civil lawyers money can buy.

This is why we have mandatory sentencing guidelines. We simply cannot trust judges.

Justice is supposed to be blind, not retarded.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Jeez. How the hell is $75K ($7,500 cash) going to hold a woman who already withdrew $30k to flee the country?

Not that I have any sympathy for this particular woman in this particular case but it is kind of messed up when the .gov freezes all of your access to your own funds and then sets a really high bail like that. "We are going to set your bail really high because you have a lot of money that we have completely blocked your access to" just seems wrong to me.

As for this case, she has already fled so I personally don't think she should get bail at all because she is obviously a flight risk. Doesn't change my thinking on the above though.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is why we have mandatory sentencing guidelines. We simply cannot trust judges.

I wholeheartedly disagree with mandatory minimum sentences, they are more often than not applied to non-violent offenders and are one large reason that we have the highest number of inmates of any other country in the world.

Did you know that getting caught 3 times with a certain amount of drugs requires a mandatory life sentence. Yet acquiring and actually setting off a friggen nuclear bomb, as long as you manage not to kill anyone, gets you less time? Same thing if you acquire a nuke and intend to set it off in a city but get caught before you do. Am I the only one that thinks that trying to level an entire city with a nuclear bomb that you actually acquired/built is worse than 3 counts of drug possession?

However, under the mandatory minimum the guy with the drugs is evidently a greater threat to society.

Justice is supposed to be blind, not retarded.

We have the "JustUs" system in the US these days as proven by this very story. While poor people are the low hanging fruit and are targeted much more, if a rich asshole gets caught up in the system they can usually purchase very favorable "justice".

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Reminds me of reading when the church would sell the rich "get out of purgatory free" cards when Martin Luther called them on it. They excommunicated his ass for that. You don't call out a corrupt system on their corruption without the expectation of some payback.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I wholeheartedly disagree with mandatory minimum sentences, they are more often than not applied to non-violent offenders and are one large reason that we have the highest number of inmates of any other country in the world.

Did you know that getting caught 3 times with a certain amount of drugs requires a mandatory life sentence. Yet acquiring and actually setting off a friggen nuclear bomb, as long as you manage not to kill anyone, gets you less time? Same thing if you acquire a nuke and intend to set it off in a city but get caught before you do. Am I the only one that thinks that trying to level an entire city with a nuclear bomb that you actually acquired/built is worse than 3 counts of drug possession?

However, under the mandatory minimum the guy with the drugs is evidently a greater threat to society.

We have the "JustUs" system in the US these days as proven by this very story. While poor people are the low hanging fruit and are targeted much more, if a rich asshole gets caught up in the system they can usually purchase very favorable "justice".

Isn't your complaint more in line with how high the minimums are, rather than their obsoletion?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Apparently I'm not the only one wondering if Mrs. Couch might actually be retarded.

http://myfox8.com/2016/01/11/psychological-testing-ordered-for-affluenza-teens-mom/

Tarrant County, Texas, Magistrate Judge Matt King ordered Tonya Couch to be examined after the court found “reasonable cause” to believe that she suffers from “a mental illness or is a person with a mental retardation,” according to court documents.

Nice to see judges making some sense now.